Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2009, 10:35 AM

3,977 posts, read 7,696,239 times

Advertisements

There are definately situations where it could work, I lived with my ex-fiance for about 8 months, it was a new situation for me, I had never lived with anyone, but he moved into my apartment. He never tried to change anything as far as decorations, flowers, etc. He was overly into the sports, though, since I like them too, it didn't bother me, what did was the fact that he would come home and throw the dirty basketballs from his school team on the floor, (ooohhh I hate clutter!) so instead of telling him over and over, I bought a mesh pop up hamper and kept it by the door and just said "hey, throw the balls in here, babe" and it worked like a charm! no yelling no nagging, no crying!
I think there has to be give and take, but I do appreciate coming home and having no one there, so I can de-compress from the day, watch tv in my underwear if I want!!! that kind of freedom is nice. Giving the other person some alone time is important, IMO.

(this was long-sorry!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by professorsenator View Post
Based upon what you've told us, Lindsey_Mcfarren, I tend to agree with you -- you are probably best off living without a man.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with not wanting to live with a man. You know yourself --what you want, what makes you happy, and what makes you unhappy (like, say, a guy with a 46 inch LCD Sony and the MLB, NBA, and NFL cable TV game packages). Living with a man does not fit into you happiness equation. I say hooray for you. This self-awareness is a real indicator of maturity and sensibility on your part.

Of course, it may be a little harder for you finding a guy who would be comfortable with an arrangment that would make you happy. But that shouldn't keep you from looking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2009, 10:56 AM

2,412 posts, read 7,179,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsfangal View Post
I do appreciate coming home and having no one there, so I can de-compress from the day, watch tv in my underwear if I want!...
Hey sportsfangal! You can watch TV in your underwear if you live with a guy! In fact, I suspect that most guys would LOVE to have their gal come home, strip down to their underwear, and watch TV! Where were you when I was single???

Old 02-08-2009, 11:03 AM

3,977 posts, read 7,696,239 times
Ha! Ha! I was probably living with the ex!!! , I guess we did do some underwear-tv-watching now that I think about it!!
gee-I miss it!!
*do you have a brother?

Quote:
Originally Posted by professorsenator View Post
Hey sportsfangal! You can watch TV in your underwear if you live with a guy! In fact, I suspect that most guys would LOVE to have their gal come home, strip down to their underwear, and watch TV! Where were you when I was single???

Old 02-08-2009, 11:10 AM

37,626 posts, read 46,035,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrl View Post
..."have him buy a house in my neighborhood", how will you do that?

it sounds like you felt shortchanged in some way in the past, but i wonder, how will you have someone buy you a house?
Yeah I kinda chuckled at that. Not bloody likely.

Old 02-08-2009, 11:18 AM

37,626 posts, read 46,035,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
This whole thing occurred to me when I was reading something about back in the day when it was not acceptable to live together, sometimes a wealthy couple would have apartments next to each other with a secret door so it appeared they lived apart but in fact they had close access to each other.
God, wouldn't that just be perfect??

Quote:
I can't imagine sharing a checking account with someone or completely turning over the money to my partner.
Me either. However, my ex and I had our own accounts,and a joint household account, and that worked just fine. So I think this is something easily worked out.

Quote:
Some nights, I like having the whole bed to myself. Some nights I don't go to sleep until the morning for whatever reason, I don't have to explain that to anyone.
No kidding. This definitely would be an issue for me!!

Quote:
I eat in bed, terrible habit but there it is and I am not at my age going to STOP eating in bed. I just had Cape Cod potato chips and French Onion dip, this would annoy most people I should imagine.
Yikes!

Quote:
I think I have been single for so that I am not fit to be cooped up with someone else. Making that kind of commitmet is a frightening thing.
Yep. Very frightening indeed.

Old 02-08-2009, 11:26 AM

36,427 posts, read 16,038,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrl View Post
..."have him buy a house in my neighborhood", how will you do that?

it sounds like you felt shortchanged in some way in the past, but i wonder, how will you have someone buy you a house?

She said "have him buy a house in my neighborhood", not buy her a house!! My girlfriend met her neighbor, 2 houses, 2 people in the same neighborhood, she loves it, he comes to her house, she goes to his and so on.

Old 02-08-2009, 05:16 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,448,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tasmtairy View Post
She said "have him buy a house in my neighborhood", not buy her a house!! My girlfriend met her neighbor, 2 houses, 2 people in the same neighborhood, she loves it, he comes to her house, she goes to his and so on.
Yes, I own my own home, I would stay in my own home, he would buy another home in the same neighborhood in order for us to be close but not on top of each other. I don't imagine it would be hard to get a guy to do this since so many seem to be commitment phobic like I seem to be.

Old 02-08-2009, 05:49 PM

52,291 posts, read 52,734,263 times
Quote:
I would love some companionship but I don't think I will ever marry again. Ideally I would love to find someone special, have him buy a house in my neighborhood rather then us living together. We could spend most of our time together but then we could still have time apart. We would have our own space but be close enough that it be convenient to get together.

I just don't think I can attach that ball and chain to my ankle again.
Do what you gotta do, I don't think there's nothing wrong with your feelings because, that's how you feel, you can't change it.

So that being said, I'm sure some guy wouldn't mind that arrangement. I don't think it would bother me, It just depends on what each person is looking for.

Good luck to you.

Old 02-08-2009, 06:25 PM

3,722 posts, read 4,312,274 times
Quote:
I would love some companionship but I don't think I will ever marry again. Ideally I would love to find someone special, have him buy a house in my neighborhood rather then us living together. We could spend most of our time together but then we could still have time apart. We would have our own space but be close enough that it be convenient to get together.

I just don't think I can attach that ball and chain to my ankle again.
Marraige isn't the problem for me, it just the whole space issue...I'm certainly all for seperate bedrooms. I too have strange sleeping habits and the longer I'm on my own the harder it's going to be for me to adjust to having to share so much space with anyone all the time.

Old 02-08-2009, 06:26 PM

9,230 posts, read 16,553,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raggy dee Ann View Post
I'm certainly all for seperate bedrooms.
I am all over that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships