Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2009, 06:50 AM

172 posts, read 476,068 times

Advertisements

Hey Sierra, maybe you're projecting some ideas on Lindsay here. Sounds to me like she's saying, I don't need a "relationship" so desperately that I'm going to turn my life upside-down for it. Doesn't sound like she's expecting all that much, but I don't know.

If it were me, I'm not sure I'd want a SO to even move into my nabe. Maybe the next county would be close enough! I think once you've had kids, they become the real love of your life, the other stuff is just extra, if you've got time and energy. But ask me again once they're out of the house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2009, 08:57 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,162,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keith talent View Post
Hey Sierra, maybe you're projecting some ideas on Lindsay here.
Really? What makes you think so? I commented strictly on what was being said, not to mention that unlike you I also "know" Lindsay and have read many an opinion of hers on these subjects.

Old 02-10-2009, 10:10 AM

943 posts, read 2,280,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
I would love some companionship but I don't think I will ever marry again. Ideally I would love to find someone special, have him buy a house in my neighborhood rather then us living together. We could spend most of our time together but then we could still have time apart. We would have our own space but be close enough that it be convenient to get together.

I just don't think I can attach that ball and chain to my ankle again.
Sorry it sounds like you have been through it...I relate by the way. I am in the middle of 15 year relationship 11 year marriage ending. I do not plan to date ever again, but friends and platonic companionship is ok. I think if you are happier single you should stay single. One of my best friends never married and I think it was best decision for her. Marriage isnt for everyone. I dont think it was for me!

Old 02-10-2009, 11:00 AM

67 posts, read 219,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WheredoIlive? View Post
Sorry it sounds like you have been through it...I relate by the way. I am in the middle of 15 year relationship 11 year marriage ending. I do not plan to date ever again, but friends and platonic companionship is ok. I think if you are happier single you should stay single. One of my best friends never married and I think it was best decision for her. Marriage isnt for everyone. I dont think it was for me!
I'm sorry to hear that! That really does suck. For some reason the United States has one of the highest divorce rates in the world (hopefully that legend is true and I am not spreading lies; otherwise the world is depressing). I think you should do whatever makes you happiest. If this means being single for the remainder of your life, then so be it. More power to you, as they say. But should you close your heart off from letting any possible flame from entering? I don't think so. You never know when someone walks into your life and a simple smile can make your heart skip a beat. Perhaps age and experience hardens us and gives us this survival mechanism that doesn't allow us to get hurt as easily. That hardened persona would seem to put a grey filter over the world, thereby causing one to see the world less vibrant than they might have otherwise. Of course the world has its flaws, but I try to live life focusing more on the positive moments and aspects. Maybe you just need to get back in touch with a youthful you again (not meaning that in any offensive way)? Just throw inhibition to the side.

Old 02-10-2009, 12:43 PM

5,554 posts, read 6,740,191 times
Hmmm. I'm not sure some people are understanding what I am understanding what Lindsay is saying. It doesn't sound to me as if she wouldn't open her heart. I think she just likes her life as it is, but is still open. And pssst......if you meet someone very special, past theories are flexible.

Old 02-13-2009, 11:42 AM

10,757 posts, read 35,437,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aylalou View Post
Hmmm. I'm not sure some people are understanding what I am understanding what Lindsay is saying. It doesn't sound to me as if she wouldn't open her heart. I think she just likes her life as it is, but is still open. And pssst......if you meet someone very special, past theories are flexible.
That is what I mean, I am open to being involved, I am just not sure I could really make it work, sharing space with someone.

Its days like today that make me wish I had someone's arms to run to. BUT being married comes not just with the perks like that but with alot of hardwork.

Old 02-13-2009, 04:59 PM

431 posts, read 2,125,804 times
I thought I was the only one that had thought about doing something like this. I agree with Lindsey. For some people, especially if they are not interested in having anymore kids, marriage is not such a big deal. You can still have a significant other to spend your time with but that doesn't necessarily mean that you have to live together. I bet relationships would be much happier and last longer under these conditions (separate living quarters). Ever notice how two people can be a couple for many years and then as soon as they get married, things go downhill? Maybe seeing somebody all the time right under your nose is not all its cracked up to be.

Old 02-13-2009, 05:37 PM

78,417 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
LOL, you must have me confused with someone else, I am not living with anyone nor have I lived with anyone in 7 years. I just don't want to do it again. I am a more independent and I just don't think I can open up and give up that much of my life anymore.

I don't want to live with anyone in my house, he can live next door.

For example, I hate sports. NO, I really hate them. I jeer and sneer at the sports cast and in general feel superior to those who shackle themselves to the TV to watch it. My TVs in short do not ever broadcast sports and I have no desire to change that. How is that going to be compatible, that attitude AND the specific dislike of sports.

My neighbor has a boyfriend who broke up with her because she wouldn't move in with him. She owns her own home and didn't want to give up so much of her independance. Now he just comes over on the weekends. He also came over and took care of her when she had surgery. It just seems so much nicer. There are weekends here and there where they have their own things to do but most weekends he is here. I think its nice.

I just need my own space.

God forbid some man comes in my house again and makes mention of how its too feminine for him or he doesn't like the flowers everywhere, man that really chaps my behind.
There are probably 10million men in the US in your age-range. This time...try finding one that fits what you are looking for.

Old 02-13-2009, 05:53 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,437,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
There are probably 10million men in the US in your age-range. This time...try finding one that fits what you are looking for.
LOL, its interesting when you put it in numbers that way. I do actually know someone I would be interested in becoming more involved but he lives back home in Texas and me here in Florida. We talk and see each other on the odd occasion, I know they are out there but I don't have the best judgement.

Old 02-13-2009, 05:57 PM

37,617 posts, read 45,996,704 times
Quote:
That is what I mean, I am open to being involved, I am just not sure I could really make it work, sharing space with someone.

Its days like today that make me wish I had someone's arms to run to. BUT being married comes not just with the perks like that but with alot of hardwork.
Maybe you have forgotten what it feels like to be in love? I usually find that I am much less "quibbly" about those things when I love the guy. Yes, it absolutely takes a lot of work, and a lot of give and take. No question about that. But if you get it right, you won't mind as the rewards will be worth it.

Yeesh. Hopefully that didn't sound TOO sappy. But I really am a romantic at heart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships