Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2011, 10:37 AM

8,679 posts, read 15,284,772 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
Well, if there is one thing I have learned from this thread - it's that there is a strong prejudice towards overweight people. I'm not sure why this is. We all have our flaws and we all have our weaknesses but somehow - so many feel comfortable looking at people bigger than they are and saying - "They are lazy, selfish, and disgusting!" Does it make you feel better about yourselves to say such things?

Also - we all have different metabolisms. I have a friend that was 6 feet tall that ate anything she wanted and never gained a pound. She weighed about 130 pounds or so - and when she got depressed, she lost weight. She constantly ate Taco Bell and Pizza Hut - and looked practically anorexic. She had to work at gaining weight. Her whole family was the same way. And then I have friends that have always been big - and they eat well and exercise - and will just never be as small as me. I've lived with people like this so I truly know their eating habits and exercise habits. We all have different shapes and sizes. And some people can eat whatever they want until their 30's - and then everything catches up with them. My father weight 135 pounds at 6'2" until he hit his 30's or 40's. He was actully embarassed by how skinny he was when he was younger. He was always hungry and ate everything in sight - and would wear 2 pairs of jeans to make him look like he wasn't so scrawny. Well, it did catch up to him! He was never obese - but he had a definite spare tire! And guess what - my mom DIDN'T divorce him! She STILL loved him!!! Wow!!!

For all of you that feel that your love for your spouse or future spouse (as in most cases) is dependent on their weighing exactly what they did on their wedding day for the rest of their entire lives - I hope you have or that you find what you are looking for - and I hope you let them know up front that your love is contingent upon their not changing their size... ever!

As for me - I've battled an eating disorder my entire life and my weight has fluctuated a good 30 pounds or so over the years. The people I have been with have always loved me no matter what my size was - although I think they mostly preferred me at my heavier end than at my bonier end. I'm lucky to be very curvy - so even when I'm really underweight, I still have lots of curves. Maybe because I've always felt that I was obese, even when I was very underweight - I just can't look at overweight people and blame them or hate them as so many on here seem to. I know what it's like to hate your body - I wouldn't wish that on anybody. Also - many obese people are severely depressed and filled with self loathing. The change that needs to happen needs to come from within - and putting these people down only makes the problem worse. Also - many obese people suffer from an eating disorder - just as I suffer from one, it's just a different one than my own. I know what a battle eating has been for me - and I feel for everyone that has eating issues - whether it's that you are afraid of food or that you overeat to fill a hole inside of you. Learning to be okay with my body has been the hardest thing for me - and I will never put someone down because of how big they are. And if I thought my marriage was dependent on my weight - I would never have gotten married. I'm already so afriad of gaining to much weight - if I thought my marrriage depended on that - I would be living in constant fear. I'm lucky - my husband loves me for who I am - and he lets me know that he thinks I'm beautiful now and that he always will think so.
Takes guts to talk about that, Dewdrop. I wish I had more rep to give you.

I've seen two friends struggle with eating disorders. My SO's last girlfriend had one, too. You speak the truth. I hope people will listen.

Old 04-16-2011, 10:41 AM

9,394 posts, read 15,709,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
Fat makes you stupid
hahahahahahahah what the ****

Old 04-16-2011, 10:59 AM

2,444 posts, read 3,588,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
hahahahahahahah what the ****
It's true so many times though...
Ever seen an obese person complain about his/her weight and then suggest Mcdonalds for the next meal in the next sentence?
Here is another example;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2T_obaO46Bo

Old 04-16-2011, 11:07 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,457,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
Well, if there is one thing I have learned from this thread - it's that there is a strong prejudice towards overweight people. I'm not sure why this is. We all have our flaws and we all have our weaknesses but somehow - so many feel comfortable looking at people bigger than they are and saying - "They are lazy, selfish, and disgusting!" Does it make you feel better about yourselves to say such things?

No, sweetie...I can totally understand a few extra pounds - been there myself. I know the struggle and the difficulty making time for yourself and the stress of no sleep and work and having to eat for convenience.

But the point is that any choice you make that makes you unhealthy (whether it's smoking, being grossly overweight, drinking to excess, drug use) should be demonized by the public for the sake of those who need the peer pressure to create better habits. Not saying every fat person is unhealthy or every skinny person is healthy...but it's pretty obvious who is and isn't taking care of themselves, don't you think? It costs us all too much as a society to let people continue their bad habits - so if they say nasty things about drunk drivers or people who go back for fourths and fifths at Cici's Pizza, I can't really argue with that.

Old 04-16-2011, 11:18 AM

541 posts, read 986,293 times
wifes a little chunky,but i like her that way,never cared to much for skinny girls,always looked hungry,like night of the living dead thing going on,so anyway i'm happy,shes happy,kids are happy,and no lack in the sex life,hell it's all good

Old 04-16-2011, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwedishViking View Post
It's true so many times though...
Ever seen an obese person complain about his/her weight and then suggest Mcdonalds for the next meal in the next sentence?
Here is another example;

YouTube - "Bacon is good for me!"
yeah, but "fat makes you stupid" implies to me that it actually lowers your mental capabilities. There are plenty of fat people who are very intelligent.

Old 04-16-2011, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
No, sweetie...I can totally understand a few extra pounds - been there myself. I know the struggle and the difficulty making time for yourself and the stress of no sleep and work and having to eat for convenience.

But the point is that any choice you make that makes you unhealthy (whether it's smoking, being grossly overweight, drinking to excess, drug use) should be demonized by the public for the sake of those who need the peer pressure to create better habits. Not saying every fat person is unhealthy or every skinny person is healthy...but it's pretty obvious who is and isn't taking care of themselves, don't you think? It costs us all too much as a society to let people continue their bad habits - so if they say nasty things about drunk drivers or people who go back for fourths and fifths at Cici's Pizza, I can't really argue with that.
A drunk driver poses a threat to the life and limb of the public. Joe Sixpack wolfing down a second pie at Pizza Hut threatens his arteries and his arteries only.

Old 04-16-2011, 11:46 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,457,559 times
Quote:
A drunk driver poses a threat to the life and limb of the public. Joe Sixpack wolfing down a second pie at Pizza Hut threatens his arteries and his arteries only.
That the public will pay for...and dearly.

Old 04-16-2011, 11:51 AM

17,446 posts, read 16,620,623 times
Quote:
Driving drunk is a crime. Having extra helpings at Pizza Hut is still legal last I heard....

Old 04-16-2011, 11:59 AM

17,446 posts, read 16,620,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
That the public will pay for...and dearly.
So if we ridicule people with bad habits (smoking, drinking too much, over eating, nail biting, etc. etc.), society will save money and people will stop getting sick? We will all be healthy, live forever and never need hospitals?

Just trying to understand your goal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships