Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2016, 04:53 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayesian View Post
I think it has been discussed extensively why you can't meet women on Meetup hikes.

Women don't like hiking, it's possibly better to try cooking classes, painting classes and book clubs.
That's not true. Most of the women I know in Portland and Seattle who hike go with the established clubs, though: the Mazamas and the Mountaineers (Seattle). NW Girl was into hiking, until she gave up. I know women who have been hiking since they were teens.

Old 07-13-2016, 08:21 PM

5,722 posts, read 5,801,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWGirl74 View Post
Your not buying it doesn't make it less true. Last time I got hit on, I didn't realize I was being hit on because it was another woman! (This was back in October).

I was talking to the artistic director at a local theater the other day. She commented about needing to find a husband for the gal who first told me about the theater. My response was "Screw her! (in jest) Find someone for me instead." She said she'd been trying to find someone for the other gal for years and the problem was the theater has " a lot of nice, amazing single women but we have very few single men around to match them up with." And one of the few is leaving the state.

Most of the women in my circle I've talked to recently are disabling their OLD profiles and are giving up on dating. One had a dozen or so first dates last summer in the span of a month; this time around she's had one in the same time period. I've been trying to explore activities outside my norm to expose myself to new people, but I'm still just meeting single women and married or retired men.
I don't buy it either. All a woman has to do is go sit at a happy hour after work and a guy will talk to her. I've never seen any woman sit at happy hour by herself for more than like 15 minutes without a guy trying to strike up conversation with her. There is not a lack of single men anywhere in the country.

The numbers game pretty much favors women everywhere until you get up into the 60's age bracket when men start dying. When I went to a singles event a while back it was like 3 men for every woman...and that was with them trying to control the ratio even.

In the age 30-45 bracket the numbers game VASTLY favors women. It's not even close.

Old 07-13-2016, 08:27 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
I don't buy it either. All a woman has to do is go sit at a happy hour after work and a guy will talk to her.
Actually, no. You'd be surprised.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76;
I've never seen any woman sit at happy hour by herself for more than like 15 minutes without a guy trying to strike up conversation with her.
That just means you haven't seen it, not that it doesn't happen. I've seen it, and I've known women who tried it and got nowhere.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76;
There is not a lack of single men, anywhere in the country. The numbers game pretty much favors women everywhere until you get up into the 60's age bracket when men start dying. When I went to a singles event a while back it was like 3 men for every woman...and that was with them even trying to control the ratio.
It doesn't have anything to do with there being a lack of men. Silicon Valley is Man-Jose, yet cute women go dateless.

Old 07-14-2016, 08:24 AM

4,380 posts, read 4,451,528 times
Quote:

In the age 30-45 bracket the numbers game VASTLY favors women. It's not even close.
Maybe where you live. Here, as an example, speed dating in that age range is always sold out for the women but rarely for the men. In fact, the only age bracket that consistently sells out for men but not women is 22-37 and all the other age brackets sell out for women and not men.

So I guess if the single men are here, they just have no interest in meeting women. I've also posted in the past search results from various points in time from OLD sites in which the women in the 35-48 age bracket outnumbered the number of men on the sites at the same time by almost double.

I've never once been approached sitting in any establishment by myself, be it a bar waiting for friends, a crowded coffee shop, or heck, even when killing time at the library. And forget the gym! The men at the one I go to make it a sport to stare straight ahead so there's absolutely no chance of looking at you.

Hell, half the time when I am at a bar, the bartender doesn't even acknowledge my existence.

Old 07-14-2016, 09:46 AM

5,722 posts, read 5,801,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Actually, no. You'd be surprised. That just means you haven't seen it, not that it doesn't happen. I've seen it, and I've known women who tried it and got nowhere. It doesn't have anything to do with there being a lack of men. Silicon Valley is Man-Jose, yet cute women go dateless.
So what you're saying is...the women there are either too picky or aren't interested in dating. There is not a lack of men approaching women that is such a myth. If the numbers game favors women, which it does almost across the board past age 30 in most parts of the country, and they claim they still can't find anyone to date - the issue is with them more than anything.

Like I said last singles event I went to it was like 3 men for every woman...and that was with the organizer even trying to keep the ratio even. I'm going to try one of the singles events that Match advertises and see if they can handle it a little better.

I go to happy hours near huge office buildings that get tons of the after work white collar crowd and I never see it. So yes it might happen but so does someone hitting the Mega Millions or the Powerball.

Last edited by wanderlust76; 07-14-2016 at 09:58 AM..

Old 07-14-2016, 09:51 AM

29,746 posts, read 34,396,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
That just means you haven't seen it, not that it doesn't happen. I've seen it, and I've known women who tried it and got nowhere.
Part of the issue is that I don't know many women who would go to happy hour alone just to pick up (or be picked up by) men, though I'm sure they're out there. Usually happy hour is a group activity with friends and coworkers. I go out after work all the time, and have never (never!) been spoken to by anyone outside of the group that I'm with besides the bartender.

Old 07-14-2016, 09:54 AM

10,216 posts, read 8,308,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWGirl74 View Post
Your not buying it doesn't make it less true. Last time I got hit on, I didn't realize I was being hit on because it was another woman! (This was back in October).

I was talking to the artistic director at a local theater the other day. She commented about needing to find a husband for the gal who first told me about the theater. My response was "Screw her! (in jest) Find someone for me instead." She said she'd been trying to find someone for the other gal for years and the problem was the theater has " a lot of nice, amazing single women but we have very few single men around to match them up with." And one of the few is leaving the state.

Most of the women in my circle I've talked to recently are disabling their OLD profiles and are giving up on dating. One had a dozen or so first dates last summer in the span of a month; this time around she's had one in the same time period. I've been trying to explore activities outside my norm to expose myself to new people, but I'm still just meeting single women and married or retired men.
Another woman? Please say more

Old 07-14-2016, 09:58 AM

Quote:
So what you're saying is...the women there are either too picky or aren't interested in dating. There is not a lack of men approaching women that is such a myth. If the numbers game favors women, which it does almost across the board past age 30 in most parts of the country, and they claim they still can't find anyone to date - the issue is with them more than anything.

Like I said last singles event I went to it was like 3 men for every woman...and that was with the organizer even trying to keep the ratio even. I'm going to try one of the singles events that Match advertises and see if they can handle it a little better.
All a woman has to do is leave her house and she will offers women on here say they rarely get on which I don't believe or buy. Either she's too picky or she ignores men.

Old 07-14-2016, 10:01 AM

29,746 posts, read 34,396,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 49ersfan27 View Post
All a woman has to do is leave her house and she will offers women on here say they rarely get on which I don't believe or buy. Either she's too picky or she ignores men.
A: do you really believe that? Anytime a woman leaves her house she's approached by men?
and
B: Offers for what?

Old 07-14-2016, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
A: do you really believe that? Anytime a woman leaves her house she's approached by men?
and
B: Offers for what?
A. Yes I believe that.
B. Offers to get to know a man, sex, or get into a relationship.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships