Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2010, 07:45 AM

1,517 posts, read 2,320,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by calicali01 View Post
I think it depends on the mans culture. I know in Africa, with certain tribes, a man can have more then one wife so as long as he can take care of them all. Works for them.

As far as feminism, to get down to it, it was a movement that was started by the US Government to get both sexes waring with each other. Race wars, gender wars, social class wars are all ways to keep us divided and disenfranchised.

Are you just a tad paranoid? The government started everything to divide us? Wow, I am glad I don't live in your mind.

Old 07-01-2010, 07:48 AM

1,517 posts, read 2,320,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotARedneck View Post
Polygamy elsewhere has been converted to serial monogamy here.

Where elsewhere, it's wealthy, high status males who marry the most women, and this is a stable situation.

In contrast, here its the women who choose who is the most desirable. Since these men don't have the same position in society, there is turnover resulting in more desirable men being recycled into new relationships. At some point, they run out of financial resources and need a woman to support them, because their income is mostly going to previous mates. In extreme cases, the new wife must subsidize the old, to have her shot at an alpha.

In polygamous societies, most men have limited options due to this practice and in recent decades, this situation has also developed here.

What exactly do you think would make things better in the US? Reading your post I didn't really get what you want to happen.

Old 07-01-2010, 09:04 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,178,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSizzle225 View Post
Who in the world would want to marry somebody that made their life Suckier?
Thank you for asking the obvious question before me, Sizzle. I go on vacations myself. Oh, yeah, Geez, I'd love to get somebody who would try to prevent me from doing so or is as poor as to not be able to do it himself!

On that note, I'm leaving for the beach because, fortunately, I don't have some sourpuss to attempt to stop me. Not that he'd last long...

Quote:
Furthermore, marriage today is no longer the merger of family resources, if anything, I'm getting a woman who has unpaid credit card bills/outstanding student loans and no dowry.
That sounds like a personal problem to me. As far as dowry, hey, India is overpopulated! Maybe you could bring a bride along with a few sacred cows and start a dairy farm! Hmm, not sure if you're allowed to even milk the sacred cows, but you can do your homework.

Old 07-01-2010, 09:06 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,178,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smel View Post
Are you just a tad paranoid? The government started everything to divide us? Wow, I am glad I don't live in your mind.
Actually, that's a lucid part of his mind.

Old 07-01-2010, 10:15 AM

5,143 posts, read 5,408,647 times
Quote:
Right, because in addition to the marriage strike outline, marriage will put restrictions on my freedom.

Furthermore, marriage today is no longer the merger of family resources, if anything, I'm getting a woman who has unpaid credit card bills/outstanding student loans and no dowry.
I, my, mine...we get it dude. You are selfish. It's beginning to bore us, stop boring us.

Some of us learned from Sesame Street to share...if you didn't learn that, then more power to you. Just quit griping like you are speaking for all men...some men like to share.

Old 07-01-2010, 10:44 AM

29,747 posts, read 34,404,163 times
I'm probably going to regret posting this, but here goes:

Article from NYT about womens' equality worldwide: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/01/wo...nted=1&_r=2&hp

Quote:
The poll, conducted in April and May by the Pew Research Center’s Global Attitudes Project in association with the International Herald Tribune, shows that in both developing countries and wealthy ones, there is a pronounced gap between a belief in the equality of the sexes and how that translates into reality.

Indeed, the United States and Germany reported an especially strong gap between the sexes on whether enough has been done to give women equality. Of those who believe in equal rights, many more American and German men believe their nations have made the right amount of changes for women, while many more women than men in those countries think more action is required.

Old 07-01-2010, 10:44 AM

4,837 posts, read 8,857,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smel View Post
What exactly do you think would make things better in the US? Reading your post I didn't really get what you want to happen.
I'm just reporting on the way it is. Many women would rather go for an attractive failure than somebody who has worked hard to make something of themselves.

This is why there are far fewer divorced men than divorced women - the men remarry. It's also why there is a large group of men (nearly a third) who have not married by age 35. Its perverse but women actually think that a man who has made a mess of one, two or three marriages already must have learned how to make the next one a success whereas, if a guy has not married by his early 30s, he's probably damaged goods with a hidden past. The fact is, the main thing they learn is how to successfully cover up their shortcomings.

Of course, a lot has to do with their relative position on the scale of attractiveness. Many women don't have what it takes to snag attractive men on the first go around, but once their ex has cleaned them out, these men will settle for someone to support them. A lot of this has to do with women wanting to get the "right" genes for their children.

I really don't see any change in this until women start to attempt to have their expectations met by potential mates before they get married. There is much good relationship advice on this very topic but it's mainly women over 45 who understand its importance. Their daughters aren't listening.

Old 07-01-2010, 11:10 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,712,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I'm probably going to regret posting this, but here goes:

Article from NYT about womens' equality worldwide: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/01/wo...nted=1&_r=2&hp
While I don't believe that every gender-based legal inequality has been addressed in America, I do believe that much of it has. Social inequalities still exist, and there's not much anybody can do about those except ride them out. Although I believe that the "boy's club" does exist in some places, I also believe that shrewd business people will choose the best person for the job and that accumulating the experience to become a CEO of a major corporation takes decades. We are in a catch-up period. I don't think there's a conspiracy among Fortune 500 companies to keep the little woman at home. I don't believe in the 70-cents-to-his-dollar chestnut, either--that's a worn-out statistic that is used and abused as much as the nonexistent 50% divorce rate.

A similar issue for men is the practice of alimony. It comes from a time when a woman depended on her husband to support her, and she would be left destitute if they divorced. More and more women are supporting themselves and making their own money now, so the practice is becoming obsolete. It's not automatically awarded to wives, especially those who work, and in many cases, the wife now pays the husband. We are in a catch-up period. Our social attitudes still have to catch up to our legislation. Some people are griping about things that happened 50 years ago.

Enacting new laws is a revolutionary move, in that there is an instant change. Yesterday something was legal, today it's illegal. Social attitudes adapt through evolutionary change, in that they may take years, decades or even generations to change.

Old 07-01-2010, 11:37 AM

36,539 posts, read 30,879,493 times
Great post Julia. I cant rep you today.

Old 07-01-2010, 01:06 PM

20,728 posts, read 19,371,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
While I don't believe that every gender-based legal inequality has been addressed in America, I do believe that much of it has. Social inequalities still exist, and there's not much anybody can do about those except ride them out. Although I believe that the "boy's club" does exist in some places, I also believe that shrewd business people will choose the best person for the job and that accumulating the experience to become a CEO of a major corporation takes decades. We are in a catch-up period. I don't think there's a conspiracy among Fortune 500 companies to keep the little woman at home. I don't believe in the 70-cents-to-his-dollar chestnut, either--that's a worn-out statistic that is used and abused as much as the nonexistent 50% divorce rate.

A similar issue for men is the practice of alimony. It comes from a time when a woman depended on her husband to support her, and she would be left destitute if they divorced. More and more women are supporting themselves and making their own money now, so the practice is becoming obsolete. It's not automatically awarded to wives, especially those who work, and in many cases, the wife now pays the husband. We are in a catch-up period. Our social attitudes still have to catch up to our legislation. Some people are griping about things that happened 50 years ago.

Enacting new laws is a revolutionary move, in that there is an instant change. Yesterday something was legal, today it's illegal. Social attitudes adapt through evolutionary change, in that they may take years, decades or even generations to change.
Hi JustJulia,

Men will always be at the top. What are the economics that drive it? What is the reward for success? Being a CEO or a male power broker leads to potentially lots of sex for a man. Yet for a woman, what difference does it make? Historically speaking such success are known to have led to hundreds of offspring. A similar drive to the top for a woman has a generational lag. The ability for a male to replicate will always play a role. His success of failure to reach the top simply means more.

Top male = harem
Fertile female = 5 minutes with top male
Bottom male = burgers.

Article: Black Angus sells for $21,000 at Spokane auction. | AccessMyLibrary - Promoting library advocacy
Mar. 2--A thick Black Angus bull named Kessler's Frontman fetched a record $21,000 at Tuesday's Cowman's Classic All Breed Bull Sale in Spokane. A trio of buyers purchased a two-thirds interest in the bull, who is expected to sire hundreds of calves blessed with his admirable girth. "He is just a phenomenal animal," said Gary Kendall, who has held the acclaimed show for 22 years. The previous record price of $20,000 was set a couple of years ago. Beef prices are high these days and cattlemen are willing to spend a little extra to ensure their cows are impregnated by bulls with good traits, such as musculature and bone structure. …
Top males fetch the highest prices just like male actors always make the box office(usually tickets purchased by women). The price of failure for men is higher and the rewards for success are greater.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships