Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2010, 01:22 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,272,092 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Man, Im with ya. Where do you sign up for this marriage strike. My ex had a huge unpaid student loan, bad credit and no dowry and just wanted me to make his life easier. No more marriage for me. Im keeping my freedom and protecting my assests! Life is good.
So would I, if my ex didn't spend all of mine.

Old 07-01-2010, 01:34 PM

36,539 posts, read 30,879,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avienne View Post
So would I, if my ex didn't spend all of mine.
Yeah, my ex did his darndest to exhaust my assests.

Old 07-01-2010, 01:51 PM

1 posts, read 726 times
[quote=JustJulia;14858765]
A similar issue for men is the practice of alimony. It comes from a time when a woman depended on her husband to support her, and she would be left destitute if they divorced. More and more women are supporting themselves and making their own money now, so the practice is becoming obsolete. It's not automatically awarded to wives, especially those who work, and in many cases, the wife now pays the husband. We are in a catch-up period. Our social attitudes still have to catch up to our legislation. Some people are griping about things that happened 50 years ago.

Great post and I agree with all of it. But what to make of the men who are making complaints against how they get 'taken' for a ride at divorce, or lose most of their assets, how marriage is a 'raw deal' for them, as the laws favor the woman, no matter whether or not they had children or how much money she makes or what her financial status was before? I have heard much about this, however it mostly seems to be on the internet, and I haven't actually researched into this. If it *is* like you say, with the laws reverting back/forward into a more equal response to divorce...then where is all this male anger coming from? Are they really just cherry-picking/lodging onto a few extreme cases?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Enacting new laws is a revolutionary move, in that there is an instant change. Yesterday something was legal, today it's illegal. Social attitudes adapt through evolutionary change, in that they may take years, decades or even generations to change.
But often when it seems we've reached a sort of critical mass for a certain change, no matter what politics say, the system seems to be in a constant state of "catch-up'.

Old 07-01-2010, 02:01 PM

1,342 posts, read 2,162,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calicali01 View Post
No, I don't hate women, but this is the word that is always thrown in my face when I tell women that I'm on strike, or that I refuse to fulfill the needs of what women want today (e.g, big house, big ring, fancy vacations).

Women like you want men to be generous, and to give freely, but understand the underlying motive is that you want a man to make YOUR life easier. Plain and simple.
Being called a misogynist today is a badge of honor. It just means you don't kowtow to women and it makes them have "icky" feelings. Their social programming is to just lash out with emotionally charged language (women are good at this), but thanks to the internet men are catching on. In other words you're violating their entitlement mentality worldview, ergo you're being a challenge...WHICH IS GOOD! Guess who gets the sex: the bad boy that challenges women or the nice guy that supplicates and pedistalizes them?

True actual misogyny is bad and leads to guys like Sodini, which is sad when women throw it around so casually. It just serves to devalue the word's intended meaning, like all the women who make false rape claims actually hurts real rape victims.

Old 07-01-2010, 02:03 PM

36,539 posts, read 30,879,493 times
Quote:
...then where is all this male anger coming from? Are they really just cherry-picking/lodging onto a few extreme cases?
From what I can tell most of it comes from Entertainment weekly or what their best friends, uncle's bartender said. With exception of a few guys, most dont have a steady gf, much less are married or actually been thru a divorced.

Old 07-01-2010, 02:05 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,712,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by awesomechick View Post
If it *is* like you say, with the laws reverting back/forward into a more equal response to divorce...then where is all this male anger coming from? Are they really just cherry-picking/lodging onto a few extreme cases?
Yes, I think so. I do think that extreme or unfair cases exist, but I don't think they are the norm or should be regarded as anything but outliers. Likewise, just because there are women who have been deliberately passed over for promotions because they are female, I don't think they are the norm. I don't see a feminist conspiracy in the courts or a sexist conspiracy in the business world. Some individual people break the law, that's all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by awesomechick View Post
But often when it seems we've reached a sort of critical mass for a certain change, no matter what politics say, the system seems to be in a constant state of "catch-up'.
That's true. I doubt society ever reaches a point where everyone breathes a collective sigh and says, "Whew, all done." I wish we could. It's interesting to contemplate what such a place would look like.

Old 07-01-2010, 02:27 PM

3,486 posts, read 5,686,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutz76 View Post
Being called a misogynist today is a badge of honor. It just means you don't kowtow to women and it makes them have "icky" feelings. Their social programming is to just lash out with emotionally charged language (women are good at this), but thanks to the internet men are catching on. In other words you're violating their entitlement mentality worldview, ergo you're being a challenge...WHICH IS GOOD! Guess who gets the sex: the bad boy that challenges women or the nice guy that supplicates and pedistalizes them?

True actual misogyny is bad and leads to guys like Sodini, which is sad when women throw it around so casually. It just serves to devalue the word's intended meaning, like all the women who make false rape claims actually hurts real rape victims.
Misogyny isn't limited to murder. I am sure Sodini would also say he didn't hate all women -- just those who rejected his advances because they felt "entitled" to say "no". Rather, misogyny is implicit in treating the female sex as an enemy. Based on your posts, you do view women as an enemy -- a natural enemy, who must be kept at bay through eternal vigilance. According to you then, having sex with women or deliberately insulting women is a way of "conquering" them. In your view, it's a zero-sum game, and you don't "win" unless women "lose" from their interactions with you. This is the very essence of misogyny.

By the way: No, it's common knowledge that PUA's don't get any. But I suppose aggrandizing each other is a nifty substitute.

Old 07-01-2010, 02:35 PM

5,648 posts, read 8,059,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutz76 View Post

False accusations is one of the worst things that can happen to a man by a woman. Thanks to disorganized crime, false accusations have gone rampant.

Old 07-01-2010, 02:51 PM

20,728 posts, read 19,371,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Yes, I think so. I do think that extreme or unfair cases exist, but I don't think they are the norm or should be regarded as anything but outliers. Likewise, just because there are women who have been deliberately passed over for promotions because they are female, I don't think they are the norm. I don't see a feminist conspiracy in the courts or a sexist conspiracy in the business world. Some individual people break the law, that's all.

That's true. I doubt society ever reaches a point where everyone breathes a collective sigh and says, "Whew, all done." I wish we could. It's interesting to contemplate what such a place would look like.

Hi JustJulia,

That is it precisely. What we see are natural trends that typically only appear on the fringes. Bill Clinton and the Beatles are a product of female will even as much as they are men. There will be a small handful of men who will be lonely because of it. It is not a basis for a world view in everyday life. Most of us are in the middle.

Old 07-01-2010, 03:04 PM

2,732 posts, read 3,586,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSizzle225 View Post
It's beginning to bore us, stop boring us.
But yet you respond to my post, and engage in conversion with me. I don't come here to entertain you, and if you don't like what I have to say then just ignore me like I will you for now on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships