Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2010, 05:29 PM

6,777 posts, read 13,557,216 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
Ok, lets here the argument that there isn't any action/movement in the brain/nervouse system to and fro in mental work. This should be good.
I'm still laughing over the fact that TKramer thinks a janitor and a CEO both deserve to make $10 an hour. Mental feats are too easy for him ya know!

Old 02-03-2010, 05:30 PM

32,944 posts, read 36,386,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
I'm not saying they're not. I'm not even saying that they do not apply themselves at what they do, or excel at it. I'm just saying that it isn't technically "work" because it is not physical labor. Work if the application of force over distance.
The paperwork and the peoplework I've done has been more exhausting (in a way) than than physical work expected of me.

How does a 120 lb. 20 year old get a 120 lb wheel of cheese into the walk in? What to do with 30-50 cases of perishable when when you're ordered to clear the area and lock up by a certain (not enough) time? Mind games are the worst.

Old 02-03-2010, 05:33 PM

3,440 posts, read 8,042,428 times
Posted by betamanlet: "Basically what the libs are going to do is either give tax breaks to women, or will basically say that women only have to work 6 months a year but get paid the same as a man working 12 months a year."

I think that would be a great idea for single moms. There are quite a few women who did everything right but their man decided to bail for whatever reason.

Old 02-03-2010, 05:37 PM

2,793 posts, read 6,125,245 times
Problem is the paper pushers make it more difficult for the rest of us to get real work done. Procedures, reports, meetings, powerpoints, reviews, approvals..... Wish you damn busy bodies would stay at home and save the rest of us a ton of grief.

Old 02-03-2010, 05:37 PM

6,777 posts, read 13,557,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post

2) What your husband does is not work. Work is physical. He probably exercises his mind, but your husband applies himself to a PROFESSION, not "work". I actually "work" for a living. Mental activities are far too easy for me.
So you think you could keep a company from not only going broke, but have enough knowledge so they could actually profit?

You know all about M&A?

You are thoroughly knowledgeable of regulatory and legal issues involved in financing? You are at the very least AFIP senior certified?

You know all about market capitals?

After all...mental activities are far too easy for you.

Old 02-03-2010, 05:39 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,201,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zz4guy View Post
Problem is the paper pushers make it more difficult for the rest of us to get real work done. Procedures, reports, meetings, powerpoints, reviews, approvals.....
I've considered putting a powerpoint together on my ventures to the commode.

Old 02-03-2010, 05:40 PM

2,793 posts, read 6,125,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
I've considered putting a powerpoint together on my ventures to the commode.
I dont doubt it.

Old 02-03-2010, 05:45 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,201,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zz4guy View Post
I dont doubt it.
I don't think the boss would appreciate it. Although, I know if I have a thought, it should be expressed .ppt.

7,915 posts, read 18,628,860 times
TKramer wrote:
Quote:
But mental "work" isn't actual work. How about, as I said, the person using his mind over his muscles is "applying himself to a profession"?
I agree that flipping burgers at a fast food joint is physical work but society in general recognizes that an individual who is capable of intellectual work is paid a great deal more because their contribution to a business is more valuable than someone who is only using their muscles. In fact as society has become more mechanized since the industrial revolution the importance of mindless manual labor has dwindled to the point that any form of work that doesn't require a certain amount of intellect is probably going to be a minimum wage job. But let me elaborate on this a little further so you don't get the wrong idea. A carpenter, plumber, electrician, and many other jobs that could be described as skilled labor are often high paying occupations because there is a mix of physical work that is combined with intelligence and experience. Your statement that mental work isn't actual work would mean that a team of horses pulling a plow are "applying themselves to a profession" and are somehow at a higher level than the farmer who's using his brain and is organizing his farm and using his resources in the most effective manner to make it successful.

44,259 posts, read 64,391,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sophialee View Post
I'm still laughing over the fact that TKramer thinks a janitor and a CEO both deserve to make $10 an hour. Mental feats are too easy for him ya know!
I don't think he realizes that a robot (or a human-monkey genetically engineered hybrid slave) can do his job.

He couldn't do mine (or my wife's) for 5 minutes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships