Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2012, 12:28 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,857,175 times

Advertisements

You're heading for Mickey's 'Ignore' list NoCapo. My prediction is for Tuesday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2012, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickiel View Post
Then disprove that we have the bones of the high priest who slapped Jesus, and the bones of the black man who carried his cross. Disprove that.
...and we have Baker Street in London to prove Sherlock Holmes and Paddington Station to prove Paddington Bear. There you have it!

Old 05-13-2012, 03:14 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,717,984 times
It's interesting to follow Mickiel's mode of argument.

323 demands proof that Jesus didn't resurrect. Boxcar listed a series of symptomatic visual appearances NOT shown by Jesus as a resurrected corpse (though of course the marks of crucifixion were there)

Micki's response? "The stinking ghettos all over the world have a hope that you cannot remove."

The stinking ghettoes are welcome to their delusions, though getting off their butts and giving the place a scrub rather than sitting and hoping might do more to remove the stench, but what has this to do with the historicity of Jesus? It is doing what Micki accuses us of doing - ignoring evidence. But what evidence does Micki have FOR Jesus?

"I'll give you my proof; if he had not risen, then belief in him would have died right then."

The response is to point out that other (presumably untrue) religions have survived well enough.

Micki then argues that his miracle is much better (which isn't the point - that those religions have persisted even though the claims were less amazing defeats Micki's point, but of course he has changed the point)

"These pale in significance to Jesus history, or are you sugessting that they overshadow him? None can even compare to Jesus reality, your arguement must surpass the man, and none of your ilk has ever been able to do that."

The point being apparently that if we can't dent Micki's faith in Jesus we should go away...as Micki does in a very graphic stamping out of the debating chamber

"Come back to the table when you have something that can put out his light."

I won't repeat #336 or I'd be accused of mockery, but after trying the 'I am not actually a Christian' ploy (which is of course beside the point) Micki tries the bones of Caiaphas.

The thing is that as has been argued in respect of all Micki's evidence is that Caiaphas certainly existed, but did he slap Jesus? It is actually as unlikely as John having him prophecy in a spirit of ungodly plotting against God. It is a propaganda touch added by the Christian gospel - writers to make Jesus seem more martyred and the Jews more vicious. It is not only unhistorical and unbelievable, but very unpleasant.

I don't want to be nasty about Micki who is a well -meaning guy who tries to take facts on board - when they can be fitting into his belief -framework, and you have to admire his persistence, and we do at least get to show that Herod's tower, Pilate's coinage and Caiaphas' bone -box may prove the historicity of the setting of the gospel story, but that alone does not prove the gospel story true.

Like Nozzferatu's example of Bourne or James Bond or Robin Hood or Sherlock Holmes, if we don't know beforehand, can we say whether they are based on fact or not? Even a fictitious story based on an actual person? In fact Holmes WAS based on a real person, though he was not a detective and the stories on their internal evidence are not really believable.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 05-13-2012 at 03:25 AM..

Old 05-13-2012, 05:27 AM

5,298 posts, read 4,591,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
It's interesting to follow Mickiel's mode of argument.

323 demands proof that Jesus didn't resurrect. Boxcar listed a series of symptomatic visual appearances NOT shown by Jesus as a resurrected corpse (though of course the marks of crucifixion were there)

Micki's response? "The stinking ghettos all over the world have a hope that you cannot remove."

The stinking ghettoes are welcome to their delusions, though getting off their butts and giving the place a scrub rather than sitting and hoping might do more to remove the stench, but what has this to do with the historicity of Jesus? It is doing what Micki accuses us of doing - ignoring evidence. But what evidence does Micki have FOR Jesus?

"I'll give you my proof; if he had not risen, then belief in him would have died right then."

The response is to point out that other (presumably untrue) religions have survived well enough.

Micki then argues that his miracle is much better (which isn't the point - that those religions have persisted even though the claims were less amazing defeats Micki's point, but of course he has changed the point)

"These pale in significance to Jesus history, or are you sugessting that they overshadow him? None can even compare to Jesus reality, your arguement must surpass the man, and none of your ilk has ever been able to do that."

The point being apparently that if we can't dent Micki's faith in Jesus we should go away...as Micki does in a very graphic stamping out of the debating chamber

"Come back to the table when you have something that can put out his light."

I won't repeat #336 or I'd be accused of mockery, but after trying the 'I am not actually a Christian' ploy (which is of course beside the point) Micki tries the bones of Caiaphas.

The thing is that as has been argued in respect of all Micki's evidence is that Caiaphas certainly existed, but did he slap Jesus? It is actually as unlikely as John having him prophecy in a spirit of ungodly plotting against God. It is a propaganda touch added by the Christian gospel - writers to make Jesus seem more martyred and the Jews more vicious. It is not only unhistorical and unbelievable, but very unpleasant.

I don't want to be nasty about Micki who is a well -meaning guy who tries to take facts on board - when they can be fitting into his belief -framework, and you have to admire his persistence, and we do at least get to show that Herod's tower, Pilate's coinage and Caiaphas' bone -box may prove the historicity of the setting of the gospel story, but that alone does not prove the gospel story true.

Like Nozzferatu's example of Bourne or James Bond or Robin Hood or Sherlock Holmes, if we don't know beforehand, can we say whether they are based on fact or not? Even a fictitious story based on an actual person? In fact Holmes WAS based on a real person, though he was not a detective and the stories on their internal evidence are not really believable.

You don't need evidence to be an Atheist, you just need to ignore it.

Old 05-13-2012, 06:19 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,717,984 times
Quote:
You don't need evidence to be an Atheist, you just need to ignore it.
something to add to my Theist -english dictionary 'ignore' - to show to be irrelevant. (see also ' 'Opinion' - unwelcome evidence.)

Old 05-13-2012, 07:30 AM

7,595 posts, read 6,085,921 times
Quote:
The stinking ghettos all over the world have a hope that you cannot remove.
Why not instead of "Hoping" and "Wishing" and asking someone to come down from the sky and rescue you and fix everything, you just man up and do something about all the stinking ghettos, poverty, hunger, pain and suffering? If your religion cannot fix that, then it is worthless. We already have two major political parties that have failed, not to mention a handful of minor ones, we have talk about how great things will be in the afterlife. get real. Seems to me that the major religions and the major political arms of the country have therefore failed.
This life, this reality, this experience IS REAL!!!!!! It is tangable , measurable, and ALIVE!!!! Your talk about your imaginay friend returning? Where is he? Why is he not here helping out? What are his followers doing about all the stinking ghettos? Where is their hope? Where do they get fed when they send their kids to bed hungry at night? Hoping their imaginary friend comes to take them away? How about instead of promising some fantasy, how about you get to work doing something about it?

If you want to spend your life suffering with others and dreaming about some dead guy's return, hey have fun. But dont think you are going to drag any of us down with you. We don't need to be saved. We need to work on saving ourselves, our families, and our communities from the harsh realities of this world, which, unlike your Jesus myths, are real. That is the reality of the situation.

Old 05-14-2012, 11:32 AM

166 posts, read 140,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
...stories that are only found in the Bible and some other religious works. No objective, verifiable evidence that any of that happened and much objective, verifiable evidence that it didn't.

We do. That's why we are atheists.

Evidence about the historic Jesus is not in the Bible.
He was a real person, rabbie, prophet, that walked the earth.
if your going to de-bunk this sort of history, which includes Jesus. his followers, church leaders, scholars, etc. etc. along with anything relating to biblical history, then you might
as well rebuke all of history.

The Saints from 2000 years ago along with our modern day Saints are real human beings, blessed with special graces, etc. Yes we have miracles and medical science can and wont ever explain these things, just like they only can hypothosize on the Earths origins.

This is a fact.

I dont want to debate with atheists, instead I should Pray to God
regarding your soul. The Christian Man/God called Jesus. At the end of times we all shall see.

Sarah

Old 05-14-2012, 11:40 AM

3,402 posts, read 2,788,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarah888 View Post

I dont want to debate with atheists, instead I should Pray to God
regarding your soul. The Christian Man/God called Jesus. At the end of times we all shall see.

Sarah
Then you should restrict your posting to the Christianity forum, or better yet, stay off discussion forums altogether. There is no point in flinging your opinions about on a discussion forum, like little bits of monkey poo, if you are not interested in actually discussing them.

If you do believe in an omnipotent god, asking him to change my mind is likely to be far more effective than flailing about with unsupported opinions and refusing to actually examine your own assertions. As an added benefit, it is certainly less annoying to me...

-NoCapo

Old 05-14-2012, 11:47 AM

166 posts, read 140,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Dan View Post
I think people saw an empty tomb. That proves nothing except his body was missing.

Read the bible and biblical History.

Sarah

Old 05-14-2012, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoCapo View Post
Then you should restrict your posting to the Christianity forum, or better yet, stay off discussion forums altogether. There is no point in flinging your opinions about on a discussion forum, like little bits of monkey poo, if you are not interested in actually discussing them.

If you do believe in an omnipotent god, asking him to change my mind is likely to be far more effective than flailing about with unsupported opinions and refusing to actually examine your own assertions. As an added benefit, it is certainly less annoying to me...

-NoCapo
What he said Sarah ^^^
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality