Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-24-2007, 09:26 PM

8,568 posts, read 16,236,701 times

Advertisements

Originally Posted by arguy1973
Quote:
all depends on what one believes is a truth..I say that the Bible is truth and everything else must prove itself against the Bible or it is false.
The truth is. It doesn't matter what everyone believes; the truth simply is.
Believing that a circle has 4 corners does not make it so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2007, 11:02 PM

443 posts, read 1,541,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinFromBoise View Post
Why is it of any difference to you. What right do you have to ridicule the single most important part of chrstiandom. If you choose not to believe, well then good luck with that. It seems that militant atheist are more concerned about religion than the supposedly crazy christians.
What right do I have? Sorry, but people from your faith control the highest levels of our government, and every single day, they make foolish, backwards decisions which impact my daily life.

I am concerned when my government tells me what I can or can't do in my own bedroom, what medical procedures I can have, and what my children will be taught.

If pointing out what I see as foolish helps lessen the stranglehold religion has our society, I will gladly do it.

I become concerned with religion only insofar as it inhibits my constitutional rights.

Old 10-25-2007, 05:29 AM

2,136 posts, read 4,789,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by satanoid View Post
I am concerned when my government tells me what my children will be taught.

If pointing out what I see as foolish helps lessen the stranglehold religion has our society, I will gladly do it.

I become concerned with religion only insofar as it inhibits my constitutional rights.

A personal curiosity...do you have children?

Old 10-25-2007, 06:37 AM

3,434 posts, read 9,746,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
Originally Posted by arguy1973 The truth is. It doesn't matter what everyone believes; the truth simply is.
God is the only absolute standard by which all truth and falsehood, light or darkness, and right or wrong are measured in this world (John 5:53; 8:31-32, 42-47). Moreover, both Jesus and the Holy Spirit are said to be "the truth" (14:6, 16-17; 15:26; 1 John 5:7). So the Father is truth, the Son is truth, and the Holy Spirit is truth. You are right about one thing..a truth doesnt have to be believed by everyone to make it a truth..The truth is God doesnt have to operate on mans way of thinking nor does he have to conform to "mans" laws.

Old 10-25-2007, 07:31 AM

169 posts, read 632,966 times
Quote:
The truth is. It doesn't matter what everyone believes; the truth simply is.
I completely agree. If something is true, it isn't true simply because it's believed to be true. It is true because it is a provable fact.

To paraphrase: "It doesn't matter how many people believe that a God exists. Simply believing that a God exists doesn't make it true that a God exists."

The only truth that belief in a God creates is "It is true that many people believe that a God exists". Or that the death of someone named Jesus had any effect on what happened or will happen to any human being after they die. The truth of something cannot be asserted simply on the basis of belief, no matter how many people happen to believe that something is true.

I don't care what anyone believes or doesn't believe, as long as that person doesn't use their belief to affect anything about my life. However I do get annoyed at people who have the attitude "What I believe, is THE TRUTH, because I believe it." Nooooo.... your belief has nothing to do with the truth. The only truth you can validly assert is the truth that you believe in whatever it is you believe in. Your belief does not make you right; my disbelief does not make me wrong.

Old 10-25-2007, 08:18 AM

3,695 posts, read 11,374,572 times
If you look at truth as merely that which can be empirically proven, then you're right. I think it goes farther than that.

Old 10-25-2007, 08:23 AM

7,841 posts, read 19,002,722 times
What is, is, whether anyone considers it to be true or not! Judging something as true or not true makes no difference. It still is what it is.

Old 10-25-2007, 11:22 AM

9,763 posts, read 10,529,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean98125 View Post
I'm still not saying I'm at a loss for words. I'm saying that your reliance solely on words is limiting your understand of what we are saying.
I see. So, since what you are saying involves words, and only words, what exactly should I be relying on to gain an understanding of...uh...your words?

Old 10-25-2007, 11:32 AM

9,763 posts, read 10,529,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arguy1973 View Post
God is the only absolute standard by which all truth and falsehood, light or darkness, and right or wrong are measured in this world (John 5:53; 8:31-32, 42-47). Moreover, both Jesus and the Holy Spirit are said to be "the truth" (14:6, 16-17; 15:26; 1 John 5:7). So the Father is truth, the Son is truth, and the Holy Spirit is truth. You are right about one thing..a truth doesnt have to be believed by everyone to make it a truth..The truth is God doesnt have to operate on mans way of thinking nor does he have to conform to "mans" laws.
Yet, here you are, a man, telling me that God doesn't have to conform to man's laws. You are using a book, written by men, as a reference.

Old 10-25-2007, 11:35 AM

3,434 posts, read 9,746,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
I see. So, since what you are saying involves words, and only words, what exactly should I be relying on to gain an understanding of...uh...your words?
One person goes to the moon..sees it for himself..camps out in a space ship..has a great time..a friend ask about it..but has never been there..so therefore cant grasp everything or the experience because he has never been there..he didnt climb the hills, go thru the valleys..sleep under the stars..so he cant understand it all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality