Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2016, 06:40 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,219,613 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
So your morality can change like the wind then. Ours does not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Spoken like a true disciple of the aptly-named Slick.
If it never changes one is uninformed

If it never changes one is isolated from humanity

KNOWLEDGE changes everything--at one point in time the church's morality was the EARTH WAS FLAT.

KNOWLEDGE changes everything--at one point in time the church's morality promoted slavery

KNOWLEDGE changes everything--at one point in time the church's morality was against INTERRACIAL MARRIAGE

KNOWLEDGE changes everything--at one point in time the church's morality was against EQUALITY of minorities

KNOWLEDGE changes everything--at one point in time the church's morality was against EQUALITY of WOMEN

KNOWLEDGE changes everything--at one point in time the church's morality endorsed women being subservient to men and tolerating VIOLENCE

KNOWLEDGE changes everything--at one point in time the church's morality to turn the other cheek on child abuse

KNOWLEDGE changes everything--at one point in time the church's morality was to allow multiple wives and mistresses

KNOWLEDGE changes everything--at one point in time the church's morality was to STONE the sinner

KNOWLEDGE changes everything--at one point in time the church's morality was drown the witch

KNOWLEDGE changes everything--at one point in time the church's morality was to control the masses by limiting KNOWLEDGE

KNOWLEDGE changes everything--the church's morality has always been based on the interpretation of a FEW OLD WHITE MEN without regard to the TEACHING of LOVE, MERCY, JUSTICE and EQUALITY...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2016, 06:46 AM

10,087 posts, read 5,733,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinEden99 View Post
Since I don't base my morality on wind, nor other superstitions, then I'd have to say no...it does not change based upon wind.

On the other hand, I can reassess my views on moral topics when I've been presented with argument or data to suggest I ought to. And I don't have to figure out ways to reconcile my morality with an ancient tome. So in that sense....I'm actually quite free to be as moral as I can be.
In other words, your morality changes like the wind. It's called a simile. Who knows, a future generation might find your idea of morality to be barbaric. Then again, if you base morality on a measurement of logical pros and cons, I can imagine a future where people find it moral to murder non contributors of society in a world with limited resources. Without the foundation of God and the Bible, man's morality can easily be manipulated. A prime example would be how every day German citizens had no problem mistreating the Jews as sub-human in the WW2 era.

Old 06-30-2016, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
If it never changes one is uninformed

If it never changes one is isolated from humanity

KNOWLEDGE changes everything--at one point in time the church's morality was the EARTH WAS FLAT.

KNOWLEDGE changes everything--at one point in time the church's morality promoted slavery

KNOWLEDGE changes everything--at one point in time the church's morality was against INTERRACIAL MARRIAGE

KNOWLEDGE changes everything--at one point in time the church's morality was against EQUALITY of minorities

KNOWLEDGE changes everything--at one point in time the church's morality was against EQUALITY of WOMEN

KNOWLEDGE changes everything--at one point in time the church's morality endorsed women being subservient to men and tolerating VIOLENCE

KNOWLEDGE changes everything--at one point in time the church's morality to turn the other cheek on child abuse

KNOWLEDGE changes everything--at one point in time the church's morality was to allow multiple wives and mistresses

KNOWLEDGE changes everything--at one point in time the church's morality was to STONE the sinner

KNOWLEDGE changes everything--at one point in time the church's morality was drown the witch

KNOWLEDGE changes everything--at one point in time the church's morality was to control the masses by limiting KNOWLEDGE

KNOWLEDGE changes everything--the church's morality has always been based on the interpretation of a FEW OLD WHITE MEN without regard to the TEACHING of LOVE, MERCY, JUSTICE and EQUALITY...
The knowledge and wisdom of the Bible was against all those things. It even declared the earth to be round and how to fight against infectious diseases hundreds of years before stupid man figured it out.

Old 06-30-2016, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
Exactly. My favorite meme on this is:
So if helping and loving your neighbor didn't feel good then you shouldn't do it, right? Makes perfect sense.

Old 06-30-2016, 06:51 AM

1,504 posts, read 851,239 times
GRACE - The definition taken from a very old dictionary I once owned. Grace is the UNDESERVED mercy of God. This is the core of Christian doctrine. It is how God views humanity. That God shows love and kindness and mercy to those who we as humans might hold in loathing and contempt. People we believe deserve to damned and punished. YET God does not discriminate between the wicked and the well behaved...he views us as all the same and loves even so called bad people.

This is what being in a state of grace is. We as human beings attempt to strive towards being godly. The first step would be to enter into a state of grace....and grace brings about peace.

Old 06-30-2016, 08:31 AM

33,536 posts, read 37,136,097 times
Quote:
So your morality can change like the wind then. Ours does not.
Your morality hasn't changed? Are you saying that you still adhere to biblical morality? I don't believe it. Here is just one comparison....

Morality according to..

The Bible:
"Now therefore kill every male among the little ones, and kill every woman that hath known man by lying with him. But all the women children, that have not known a man by lying with him, keep alive for yourselves."

Secular: (Geneva Convention) Persons taking no active part in the hostilities, including members of armed forces who have laid down their arms and those placed hors de combat by sickness, wounds, detention, or any other cause, shall in all circumstances be treated humanely, without any adverse distinction founded on race, colour, religion or faith, sex, birth, or wealth, or any other similar criteria.

Bible passages that conflict with modern morality

"The World is divided into armed camps ready to commit genocide just because we can't agree on whose fairy tales to believe".........Ed Krebs

“This would be the best of all possible worlds, if there were no religion in itâ€....John Adams.

Old 06-30-2016, 08:33 AM

10,688 posts, read 7,712,852 times
Quote:
The knowledge and wisdom of the Bible was against all those things. It even declared the earth to be round and how to fight against infectious diseases hundreds of years before stupid man figured it out.
Yeah, well it also used to accept homosexuals--until ugly people came along to torpedo the good news.

Quote:
Contrary to myth, Christianity's concept of marriage has not been set in stone since the days of Christ, but has evolved both as a concept and as a ritual. Prof Boswell discovered that in addition to heterosexual marriage ceremonies in ancient church liturgical documents (and clearly separate from other types of non-marital blessings such as blessings of adopted children or land) were ceremonies called, among other titles, the "Office of Same Sex Union" (10th and 11th century Greek) or the "Order for Uniting Two Men" (11th and 12th century).

These ceremonies had all the contemporary symbols of a marriage: a community gathered in church, a blessing of the couple before the altar, their right hands joined as at heterosexual marriages, the participation of a priest, the taking of the Eucharist, a wedding banquet afterwards. All of which are shown in contemporary drawings of the same sex union of Byzantine Emperor Basil I (867-886) and his companion John. Such homosexual unions also took place in Ireland in the late 12th/early 13th century, as the chronicler Gerald of Wales (Geraldus Cambrensis) has recorded.

Boswell's book, The Marriage of Likeness: Same Sex Unions in Pre- Modern Europe, lists in detail some same sex union ceremonies found in ancient church liturgical documents. One Greek 13th century "Order for Solemnisation of Same Sex Union" having invoked St Serge and St Bacchus, called on God to "vouchsafe unto these thy servants [N and N] grace to love one another and to abide unhated and not a cause of scandal all the days of their lives, with the help of the Holy Mother of God and all thy saints." The ceremony concludes: "And they shall kiss the Holy Gospel and each other, and it shall be concluded."
----------
Boswell found records of same-sex unions in such diverse archives as those in the Vatican, in St Petersburg, in Paris, Istanbul, and in Sinai, covering a period from the 8th to the 18th centuries. Nor is he the first to make such a discovery. The Dominican Jacques Goar (1601-1653) includes such ceremonies in a printed collection of Greek prayer books.
Did The Catholic Church Ordain Gay Weddings?

The great corrupter of the Word of God---is you.

Old 06-30-2016, 08:57 AM

6,961 posts, read 4,614,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
Yeah, well it also used to accept homosexuals--until ugly people came along to torpedo the good news.

So true. It comes from deep self loathing. You cannot love God unless you love.... or even like yourself.

Jeff has shrouded himself in darkness.

Old 06-30-2016, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post

Oh really, only me huh? Show me one verse in the entire Bible that speaks positive of homosexuality. I can find plenty that refer to it as a serious offense to God.

Old 06-30-2016, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonkonkomaNative View Post
So true. It comes from deep self loathing. You cannot love God unless you love.... or even like yourself.

Jeff has shrouded himself in darkness.
Only when I come to this forum and wade through the muck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality