Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2016, 09:36 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,631,684 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HushWhisper View Post
Test the words of Jesus and see if He lies to you.
How would one go about doing that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2016, 09:40 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,631,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post

yes, you did choose to be born, including the family, gender, education, economic status, country, language, culture, body, all of it, custom chosen by you at the soul level to give you the optimal circumstances for the specific growth needed by your own soul.
I don't recall doing that. Do you recall choosing to be born?

Old 07-22-2016, 10:16 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,916,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HushWhisper View Post
Test the words of Jesus and see if He lies to you.
Ahhhh... I see. You believe in magical entities. Tell us again about why donkey's talk? Outside of Shrek, I mean. Oh, and BTW, doing the bold stuff, doesn't make your point any better, just more annoying.

Carry on.

Old 07-22-2016, 10:20 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,916,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
The age of writings has little to do with their validity.
But if they are to be accepted, then one would expect to have confirmation by other writings. There are none. One would expect confirmation by archaeology. There are none.

Examples? There is no record of zombies walking around Jerusalem outside of the bible. There are no artifacts in the Sinai indicating an encampment of 2 million people.

As the British would say, it is all poppycock.

Old 07-22-2016, 11:38 PM

30,907 posts, read 32,984,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
The age of writings has little to do with their validity.
It actually does, because it reflects how little was known scientifically in the given time span and place, hence the inaccuracy in attempting to explain the world around oneself (and therefore, the stories/myths to fill the knowledge gap).

Old 07-22-2016, 11:39 PM

16,155 posts, read 12,850,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
I have 'faith', that gives me 'hope', something that a non-believer does not have.
You obviously see faith as a good thing. It isn't. It is the common denominator in every scam in human history.

...and you left out the other two points that I made. Please address them. Let me help you by summarising:

I asked you to explain how, as Yahweh pre-determines someone's life, how can they make a free-will choice that will change what Yahweh has planned for them.
You said that God absolutely does not pre-determine someone's life.
I said that the Bible disagrees with you and gave you Bible verses that specifically say that God DOES pre-determine our lives.
Your answer to this was that you do not follow the Bible so couldn't help me regarding what is written in it.
Later, on another matter, you stated that you believe what God has told you in his book.

I am asking what book you are referring to. Are you refering to the Bible...that you do not follow or does 'God' have another book that I'm not aware of?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
Will God throw some humans into fire? Probably yes.
Why?
Because he can.
And we cannot do anything about it.
The cruel man will beat his children and his wife.
Why?
Because he can

...and in your world, 'because he can' is reason enough to do it.

Last edited by Rafius; 07-23-2016 at 12:05 AM..

Old 07-22-2016, 11:42 PM

63,775 posts, read 40,038,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
It actually does, because it reflects how little was known scientifically in the given time span and place, hence the inaccuracy in attempting to explain the world around oneself (and therefore, the stories/myths to fill the knowledge gap).
True, but it doesn't negate their observations and experiences, just subjects them to further investigation and the application of advanced knowledge and understanding to sort out the wheat from the primitive and barbaric chaff.

Old 07-22-2016, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
True, but it doesn't negate their observations and experiences, just subjects them to further investigation and the application of advanced knowledge and understanding to sort out the wheat from the primitive and barbaric chaff.
If we're talking about the OT as a whole, there's no way those stories - Adam and Eve, Noah, Abraham, any of it - were based on any of the writers' observations. Those are flat out stories, stories that attempted to give a background and explain a confusing world. They are a mythology, for one specific culture.

Old 07-23-2016, 12:02 AM

63,775 posts, read 40,038,426 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
If we're talking about the OT as a whole, there's no way those stories - Adam and Eve, Noah, Abraham, any of it - were based on any of the writers' observations. Those are flat out stories, stories that attempted to give a background and explain a confusing world. They are a mythology, for one specific culture.
You missed the word "experiences" which include oral histories and syncretistic adaptations of even more ancient oral histories - ab initio.

Old 07-23-2016, 12:06 AM

Quote:
You missed the word "experiences" which include oral histories and syncretistic adaptations of even more ancient oral histories - ab initio.
I'm sorry, I'm not following. If just hearing a story is an experience then Cinderella is an experience of mine - that fact doesn't give the Cinderella story validity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality