Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-22-2008, 02:10 PM

63,775 posts, read 40,038,426 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
This gets into the purpose of life on earth. For some reason, God has chosen to leave a question as to his existence. Many interpret that to mean we are here to choose what we believe. If that's the case, then God would not speak directly to us as he'd remove all doubt if he did.
Modern knowledge is incompatible with the theological and philosophical descriptions defended by the many religious and mystic traditions. The accuracy and quantity of human knowledge continues to grow at an astounding pace, creating more and more obvious voids in the current explanations.The solution, it might seem at first glance, would be to engage in extensive and serious scholarship to ascertain the most suitable explanation of human purpose.

Unfortunately, the number of people ever likely to engage in such serious scholarship is far too limited for it to be a necessary process for understanding God or our purpose. If the human purpose required scholarly inquiry to understand it, there would be incredibly few people who would ever discern it, let alone make any progress toward achieving it. No, the understanding must be readily available within all of us and we must be sincere enough to wish to know it.

It would be monumentally stupid to create an organism with a specific purpose in mind and then limit, in any way, the ability of that organism to understand and achieve that purpose. Unfortunately, the preceding argument has been used to explain why there probably is no God or human purpose except for one we create or decide upon ourselves. As best I can determine, "deciding for ourselves" is what a prosecutor might call a "lesser included" condition for the fulfillment of our true purpose . . . it is inescapable for a being with free will and choice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2008, 02:23 PM

395 posts, read 1,286,560 times
When I was young my grand father (who is a priest in a temple) told me that God is not a Person. Many of us imagine that he looks like a man sitting on a throne etc. But God is a "feeling". I know few people who have experienced Feeling-God through Yoga and meditation.

Old 12-22-2008, 05:47 PM

414 posts, read 776,724 times
Default Beautiful to know ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakhi View Post
When I was young my grand father (who is a priest in a temple) told me that God is not a Person. Many of us imagine that he looks like a man sitting on a throne etc. But God is a "feeling". I know few people who have experienced Feeling-God through Yoga and meditation.
... this feeling to become knowledge and wisdom ... when met with kindness, understanding (surely being curious would never be out of the question!) and GOODWILL, so there would have always been PEACE ON EARTH!

At this point in time there can only be HOPE, beyond comfort.\!!

Old 12-22-2008, 07:13 PM

132 posts, read 350,946 times
Default Faith faith faith

Faith pleases God. Heck I don't know why he is so pleased by faith.

But God can be pleased with whatever he wants.

He doesn't need to answer to you or me.

I guess he wants people that beleive in him, even though that can not see him.

All I know is this, that when I have been a GOD OF THE BIBLE DOUBTER MY THOUGHT LIFE SUCKED.

ALL OF THOSe feel good love yourself books, well many of their principles came from the bible.

Do as the bible tells you to do and you'll feel better about life.

**** without the GOD OF THE bible this evil foul mouth man would of killed someone by now, including myself

Old 12-22-2008, 09:19 PM

2,079 posts, read 4,950,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhouston77386 View Post
Faith pleases God. Heck I don't know why he is so pleased by faith.

But God can be pleased with whatever he wants.

He doesn't need to answer to you or me.

I guess he wants people that beleive in him, even though that can not see him.

All I know is this, that when I have been a GOD OF THE BIBLE DOUBTER MY THOUGHT LIFE SUCKED.

ALL OF THOSe feel good love yourself books, well many of their principles came from the bible.

Do as the bible tells you to do and you'll feel better about life.

**** without the GOD OF THE bible this evil foul mouth man would of killed someone by now, including myself

bhouston: I do not think that anyone is questioning whether "God" as you perfer to call this supernatural force or entity, is able to move in the live's of men and make man's life better. The question, so far as I am concerned, is why doesn't God speak to man in a clear distinctive voice that man can clearly identify, understand and hear?

Obviously, God gave man ears to hear and mouths to speak. Therefore, if God created man with these capacities; why doesn't God speak to man through the same ears that God gave him? What, did God give man ears to hear everything except God himself? Then, God punishes men who cannot "hear" him, even though God already knows that man's ears are natural and incapable of "hearing" God. In other words, God punishes man for being the way that God made him?

Which leads to the question: If God wanted man to only communicate with him "in the spirit" or supernatural, why didn't God make man a spiritual rather than a natural being from the very beginning?

Last edited by dorado0359; 12-22-2008 at 09:23 PM.. Reason: ...

Old 12-23-2008, 10:04 AM

414 posts, read 776,724 times
Exclamation ... God in His Mercy Created ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorado0359 View Post
bhouston: I do not think that anyone is questioning whether "God" as you perfer to call this supernatural force or entity, is able to move in the live's of men and make man's life better. The question, so far as I am concerned, is why doesn't God speak to man in a clear distinctive voice that man can clearly identify, understand and hear?

Obviously, God gave man ears to hear and mouths to speak. Therefore, if God created man with these capacities; why doesn't God speak to man through the same ears that God gave him? What, did God give man ears to hear everything except God himself? Then, God punishes men who cannot "hear" him, even though God already knows that man's ears are natural and incapable of "hearing" God. In other words, God punishes man for being the way that God made him?

Which leads to the question: If God wanted man to only communicate with him "in the spirit" or supernatural, why didn't God make man a spiritual rather than a natural being from the very beginning?

... Hearing Aides

by NATURE

YouTube - Negro spiritual -Ain't got time to die-T.Ilincai&Accoustic

as only the Ancient Ones would always have been understanding it.\!!

Old 12-23-2008, 02:07 PM

395 posts, read 1,286,560 times
Quote:
bhouston:

I have a theory here which i am not sure any of us would agree to. God HAD made us spiritual. When you really seek God you will Feel Him. Like I said before I know a few people who are extreamly spiritual and have experienced God through "Kriya Yoga". He cannot be seen/felt/heard to us, human being's without we being in a state of Superconscious (A combination of one's spirit,soul memory, and uniqueness).

Old 12-28-2008, 09:31 PM

1 posts, read 1,586 times
Question ???????????????????????????

when i was 7 i knew exactly what i wanted and not once did it cross my mind that it wouldnt turn out perfect... im 20 today, college-bound, independent, broke, living life AFTER love... and i was raised catholic. however... i have not confessed in two years. i have not attended mass in over a year. and its NOW that i read the bible. i envy people who BELIEVE so easily, who are suffused with FAITH. my dilemma is that with so many bibles, so many books, so much science, and MY constant position of struggle... how exactly do i encompass this FAITH. how exactly do i KNOW that theres a God? that all those prophets existed. that some bozo wasnt bored one day and decided to write this fascinating bible. and coming from a catholic point of view, there are so many contradictions withing the religion... and so i even succumbed, or realized that i shouldnt follow a "religion" but to simply believe in God... and THATS my obstacle.

any philosophies???

Old 12-28-2008, 09:51 PM

2,430 posts, read 2,766,426 times
Quote:
Now, let me get this right. According to the Bible, God can do All Things. He created the stars, sky and universe; all of mankind and animal life, and everything that is, God created.

But, when it comes to speaking directly to his most esteemed creation-- Man; God decided to speak thousands of years ago through Prophets, Popes, Bishops, Apostles, Muhammad, Jesus, etc, many of whom have lied and misled the people.

I cannot help from wondering why, if God has all of this Power, why doesn't God make it easy for man and speak in a clear audible voice to each person, not this spiritual internal voice stuff Christians keep referring to and many Chistians mistake for their own thoughts.

I am trying to be open-mined about religion, and the Bible, but so much of it just makes no sense.
God makes a Rock speak without words , God made a Jackass speak with word s in the OT Why do you think you spoke up here? Not saying you are A Jackass, but if you are implying there is no God , God calls you a Fool. Look one of the smartest men I know says God speak with wordless words. Christians sometimes mis God
How Does a bird , or a tree know what to do? God is not a screaming mother, I can just look at my dog and words are not always necessary or preferred.. When He wrote the Book it said draw close to Him. The Kingdom of God is at hand....look at your hand and be still like it says....then it says be still (quiet) and know, that I am God...it is His bat and ball and He gets to make it rules.......now go and play nice.

Old 12-28-2008, 10:31 PM

2,079 posts, read 4,950,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescityleon View Post
When He wrote the Book it said draw close to Him. The Kingdom of God is at hand....look at your hand and be still like it says....then it says be still (quiet) and know, that I am God...it is His bat and ball and He gets to make it rules.......now go and play nice.
First, God himself did not write the Book, as you phrased it. The "Book" was written by priests, bishops, philosopers and religious people over the course of thousands of years.

And secondly, being still (quiet) is no guarantee that the voice that one hears is that of God. I am sure you have heard of the many individuals who "heard" the wrong voice and did some very terrible things as a result of being still (quiet). People such as Jim Jones, David Koresh and others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality