Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2008, 04:57 PM

3 posts, read 5,171 times

Advertisements

OK, maybe it's a bit out of the way, but I took it for what it was saying to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2008, 05:09 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,458,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by womansister View Post
OK, maybe it's a bit out of the way, but I took it for what it was saying to me.
Well, that was kind of my point. Throughout all of history, with all of the different and various sorts of Gods that have "existed" in belief, everyone has felt that the "Gods" were speaking to them or affecting their lives. That's why people believed in them.

Old 03-23-2008, 10:30 PM

2,079 posts, read 4,951,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by womansister View Post
Maybe you forgot when Adam and Eve were fooled by the devil and God drove them form the garden. He also couldn't let them live forever eating from the tree of life. God separated Himself from mankind. When Adam and Eve chose to eat that fruit, God could not remain connected with them and sin was present also. That's when He began to speak to mens hearts and spirits. Eventually sending His son Jesus Christ to give the good news that mankind now had a choice. Whether to listen to Him and be able to one day return to Him or remain in the captivity of the sinful nature they had come to have through the devil. Since God separated Himself from man, he sent the next best thing, His son Jesus Christ. WHO IS THE LIVING WORD OF GOD.

By the way do you know of any other so called gods who spoke for themselves?
Womansister: Did God personally tell you he did these things or are you simply repeating something that you read in a book or someone told you?

Last edited by dorado0359; 03-23-2008 at 10:49 PM.. Reason: error

Old 08-20-2008, 03:46 PM

414 posts, read 776,926 times
Default sensible? logical? Just let it be so

Quote:
Originally Posted by duke1946 View Post
I posted this "rant" on another thread, and it is rather pedestrian, but I would like a sensible, logical response.

Christianity, or any theistic religion for that matter, just seems so illogical. An omnipotent creator could have designed all things to be in harmony, efficient, without conflict, all beautiful, and benevolent. And why so many? Was "god" so lonesome that billions of imperfect creatures were needed for companionship? When were creatures advanced enough to be considered human? Were neantherdals created with the benefit of souls and the opportunity to be resurrected? Christian theology just doesn't make any sense. Evolutionary biology and quantum mechanics appear to have more logical answers and approaches to the biq questions.
I do trust you will understand: why not putting y/our mirror neurons to good use and gain access to a great and holy spirit in permanent interaction with matter? No need to limit one's mind ... Take care.

Old 08-20-2008, 04:19 PM

Default kindred?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Well, okay, now...here's what *I* think.

And I know you-all have been waiting around for three or four or five moths or however long it's been since I've been on here to hear what JerZ thinks.

I think we're questioning and putting forth all these challenges (because really...that's what they are) to kind of force God to finally show His face once and for all. We all (we questioners, anyway) really want to know for sure...one way or the other. We're tired of having to wonder all the time, and we're tired of constantly being told we're going to go to hell.

One of these days, He's finally going to do it. God is going to show Himself to everybody, exactly how He really looks, with six arms and three eyeballs or whatever he might look like (personally...I think He might look something like a cross between Jeffrey Hunter and a DNA double-helix), and He's gonna scream at everybody, "All right! All right! Here I am, for Christ's sake!" (He's allowed to say that because He's God.) "You want to 'know' I'm here? Well, here I am! And when I said X, Y and Z in the Bible, they got it wrong and when I said A, B and C they got it right...sort of. Oh, and M and N were spot-on. As to that whole bit about giving away your worldly goods...for the love of Peter. I was only kidding! I thought I made you people with a sense of humor! Now...for all thou disbelievers who didn't believe I look like Jeffrey Hunter, you're going to hell! Didn't I SHOW you, by moving My hand through Warner Brothers Studios?" and then 3/4 of the world will poof into a puff of brimstone. And since we southern Californians are the only people in the world who DO believe Hollywood is real, we'll be the only ones getting to heaven...oh, the irony.

Anyway...then we won't have to wonder any more.

ETA: (p.s.) I'm joking (obviously...either that, or certifiably insane) but I really do wonder sometimes if we're all questioning so hard because we do need to nudge God into showing us what He really is...whatever that is. It's an interesting theory, anyway, right?
Well, you strike me as being not too far off from "it", just improve a little bit on esprit and kindness - comedy and sarcasm get somewhat worn with old age, you know

Old 08-20-2008, 07:37 PM

689 posts, read 549,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorado0359 View Post
Now, let me get this right. According to the Bible, God can do All Things. He created the stars, sky and universe; all of mankind and animal life, and everything that is, God created.

But, when it comes to speaking directly to his most esteemed creation-- Man; God decided to speak thousands of years ago through Prophets, Popes, Bishops, Apostles, Muhammad, Jesus, etc, many of whom have lied and misled the people.

I cannot help from wondering why, if God has all of this Power, why doesn't God make it easy for man and speak in a clear audible voice to each person, not this spiritual internal voice stuff Christians keep referring to and many Chistians mistake for their own thoughts.

I am trying to be open-mined about religion, and the Bible, but so much of it just makes no sense.
It's simple. He speaks only to the selected few of whom the faith test has been past.

He won't or no longer speak openly because the Covenant says that you need faith to be saved. He speak publicly only means that you no longer need faith, that you can no longer be saved.

So till the end of days, He won't show up to the public.

Revelation 10:7
But in the days when the seventh angel is about to sound his trumpet, the mystery of God will be accomplished, just as he announced to his servants the prophets."

Old 08-20-2008, 07:41 PM

689 posts, read 549,438 times
Now do yourself a review, why a question considered as difficult to answer or impossible to answer suddenly has a simple answer.

Perhaps other questions you considered to be "impossible to answer" or "makes no sense" may actually have their simple answers.

God needs your faith, and for awhile please do doubt about your own intelligence.

Last edited by Hawkins; 08-20-2008 at 07:59 PM..

Old 08-21-2008, 03:13 AM

Default Absence makes the heart grow fonder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkins View Post
Now do yourself a review, why a question considered as difficult to answer or impossible to answer suddenly has a simple answer.

Perhaps other questions you considered to be "impossible to answer" or "makes no sense" may actually have their simple answers.

God needs your faith, and for awhile please do doubt about your own intelligence.
There's great comfort in recognizing my faith as part of an infinite intelligence, and hey Hawkins, you may just have made my day today ...

Old 08-21-2008, 06:20 PM

8,568 posts, read 16,231,007 times
Originally Posted by Hawkins
Quote:
If God needs my faith He isn't a god at all.
I mean I don't need anyone's faith to exist because I exist.
Whether they believe in me or not.
So if God can only exist through faith alone he is not a god at all.

BTW I question everything, which has made me an intelligent person.
Especially when I do so say so myself.

Last edited by Tricky D; 08-21-2008 at 06:35 PM.. Reason: :D I forgot my ego

Old 08-22-2008, 01:27 PM

286 posts, read 804,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
Originally Posted by Hawkins If God needs my faith He isn't a god at all.
I mean I don't need anyone's faith to exist because I exist.
Whether they believe in me or not.
So if God can only exist through faith alone he is not a god at all.

BTW I question everything, which has made me an intelligent person.
Especially when I do so say so myself.

I agree. Also for anyone that needs to allow suffering so that they can see his light...seriously..what kind of all powerful, omnipotent being needs faith and attention? Is he that insecure and self-centered?

Also, when it comes to god "speaking" to you, which I think is just people's own thoughts, where does one draw the line of insanity? Many people have done things (some good some bad) because "god told them to", so where do we say he did or your just crazy? The bible is full of examples of horrfic things God has done or has commanded someone else to do, murder, rape, incest, and so on.. so how can we be sure that he really isnt speaking to those that commit evil acts in the name of him?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality