Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2018, 01:52 PM

10,785 posts, read 5,702,611 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallflash View Post
I specifically said not using the spiritual aspect of a church you don't belong to .
Strange that you try to limit a discussion about Mormon polygamy to your own terms and perspective. I’m discussing Mormon polygamy from the perspective of the Mormon church. I don’t care what you choose to do.

Old 09-18-2018, 02:04 PM

4,851 posts, read 2,289,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
Strange that you try to limit a discussion about Mormon polygamy to your own terms and perspective. I’m discussing Mormon polygamy from the perspective of the Mormon church. I don’t care what you choose to do.
I am discussing reality . You have made the claim the Mormons still practice polygamy . I'm showing they do not in actuality , but only possibly in some spiritual sense relevant only to the church. Which is not what is meant when the leaders of the Mormon church make statements repudiating polygamy. They are referring to the real kind, not the imaginary kind .

If you have something more to show they practice actual real polygamy, feel free to provide it .

Old 09-18-2018, 02:17 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,590,708 times
Quote:
I am discussing reality . You have made the claim the Mormons still practice polygamy . I'm showing they do not in actuality , but only possibly in some spiritual sense relevant only to the church. Which is not what is meant when the leaders of the Mormon church make statements repudiating polygamy. They are referring to the real kind, not the imaginary kind .

If you have something more to show they practice actual real polygamy, feel free to provide it .
It's not imaginary to them. It's very real. It's more important than any earthly thing. They cannot get to the highest level of the Kingdom w/o plural marriage. Nothing has ever changed about that Doctrine.

You keep saying it's only relevant to the church - yeah, that is what is under discussion. If you're not interested in the topic, IDK why you are participating.

Old 09-18-2018, 02:33 PM

Contrary to what was posted by the OP, The Doctrine of plural marriage was canonized.

https://www.lds.org/scriptures/dc-te...c/132?lang=eng

The Mormon Church lies a lot. It was only a few years ago they admitted the truth about Joseph Smith regarding the number of wives he had on earth.

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-...up-to-40-wives

They lie to their own members. And to discourage them from finding the truth, they have 'safe search' engines that only return results to 'Mormon friendly' teachings. This does not stop members from searching through other means, and many have left the church over their discoveries.

Quote:
Some Mormon women may feel more secure when “celestial
polygamy” is downplayed at church. They can avoid dealing with the idea that they may
be expected to perpetually share their husbands in the post-mortem polygamy shuffle.
http://www.mormonthink.com/backup/mo...r-the-dead.pdf

Last edited by jencam; 09-18-2018 at 02:51 PM..

Old 09-18-2018, 02:52 PM

Quote:

In the Mormon church, polygamy is defined by a man being sealed to more than one woman. To the church, that is “real polygamy.”

This still happens in the Mormon church, despite repeated claims by church members and leaders that “the church has nothing whatsoever to do with polygamy.” This is the issue being discussed. If you want to start a new thread discussing what you believe to be “real” versus “fake” polygamy, have at it. But the discussion in this thread is about Mormon polygamy practices.

Old 09-18-2018, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
It's not imaginary to them. It's very real. It's more important than any earthly thing. They cannot get to the highest level of the Kingdom w/o plural marriage. Nothing has ever changed about that Doctrine.

You keep saying it's only relevant to the church - yeah, that is what is under discussion. If you're not interested in the topic, IDK why you are participating.

It appears to me that it is being insinuated that the Mormon church and its members are lying when they say they no longer practice polygamy, and then this spiritual polygamy is given as evidence. I'm just pointing out that some religious ritual does not alter the fact that they are being truthful when the say Mormons no longer practice polygamy.

Why does some church ritual concern you so much? You have gone far beyond mere interest in discussing the topic out of curiosity and into making a harmless ritual into a reason for an all out attack of hatred.

Old 09-18-2018, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
In the Mormon church, polygamy is defined by a man being sealed to more than one woman. To the church, that is “real polygamy.”

This still happens in the Mormon church, despite repeated claims by church members and leaders that “the church has nothing whatsoever to do with polygamy.” This is the issue being discussed. If you want to start a new thread discussing what you believe to be “real” versus “fake” polygamy, have at it. But the discussion in this thread is about Mormon polygamy practices.

I am discussing polygamy as meant by the church when they told the US government they would give the practice up. You seek to conflate the real polygamy the church has abandoned with some spiritual version as means of portraying them as liars , which seems to be borne out of bitterness . I'm just giving the actual facts .

Old 09-18-2018, 03:01 PM

Quote:
It appears to me that it is being insinuated that the Mormon church and its members are lying when they say they no longer practice polygamy, and then this spiritual polygamy is given as evidence. I'm just pointing out that some religious ritual does not alter the fact that they are being truthful when the say Mormons no longer practice polygamy.

Why does some church ritual concern you so much? You have gone far beyond mere interest in discussing the topic out of curiosity and into making a harmless ritual into a reason for an all out attack of hatred.
Mormon polygamy has always been first and foremost, spiritual. It’s all about the sealing and the consequences in the hereafter. Living with multiple wives, and having sexual relations with multiple wives wasn’t a requirement. And while that seems to be an issue with you, and “evidence” that polygamy ISN’T being practiced, that isn’t an issue in Mormonism.

I don’t know why you continue to ignore it, but the very definition of Mormon polygamy is a man being sealed to more than one woman. That’s a fact, and not a debateable point. That the church is still practicing this is also a fact, and not a debateable point.

Old 09-18-2018, 03:06 PM

Quote:
I am discussing polygamy as meant by the church when they told the US government they would give the practice up. You seek to conflate the real polygamy the church has abandoned with some spiritual version as means of portraying them as liars , which seems to be borne out of bitterness . I'm just giving the actual facts .
See post #498.

Old 09-18-2018, 03:07 PM

Quote:

I never said it's members are lying. I said they are lied to. There is no hatred, no matter how many times it's said it doesn't make it true.

The topic is utterly fascinating. I read all this before, but apparently forgot a lot of it. In storage is a giant pile of books on the subject from the days there was no internet.

I started reading as a teen because I was dating a Mormon. We dated on and off into college. I got hooked and as I mentioned upthread, lost interest in mainstream Mormonism at some point and only paid attention to new books or docus about fundamentalists.

This thread renewed my interest in all of it, it's been awesome learning more and having my memory refreshed on some other things.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.