Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2023, 01:35 PM

4,085 posts, read 877,614 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
See what I mean? Mike's terrified of me. And why shouldn't you be? For every tidbit of "proof" you throw out that the gospels Jesus is real, Mike I throw out a dissertation that he isn't. Check my last 6 or so threads. When have you ever matched even a tenth of that kind of detail?

Hey, Mike everyone is hoping for a knock-down, drag-out debate between us on the topic of this thread. Let's give it to them. I'm game. I promise to go easy on you. What do you say?
You don't listen too well.

It isn't about Mike and you.

You have in the past avoided debating me, and you are still doing it.

You are the one who is terrified to debate certain Christians.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2023, 01:37 PM

50,809 posts, read 24,310,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus'Truth View Post
If a person doesn't read the OP then they shouldn't post in said thread.
You don't run the forum.

Old 04-30-2023, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by compwiz02 View Post
To be quite honest, you accused Michael of being afraid. He refuted you and defended himself. The name calling probably wasn't necessary but you insisting on saying he is afraid of you is condescending. It is obvious he is not afraid of you. You're just being a bully.

Meanwhile, I'm waiting for JesusTruth to respond back to your posts.
I have been replying to his posts. Look further back. Also I want you to know that I have debated Thrill before and he debates me because he is afraid.

Old 04-30-2023, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
So stop eating bacon and give all your money away.
God made a new covenant.

Now our special diet is to obey Jesus' words, which are his flesh and our bread.

As for giving all money away that was only to the apostles and disciples when the foundation was being laid.

Old 04-30-2023, 03:07 PM

2,676 posts, read 1,264,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJFRudsill View Post
Why would the term " PIERCED ", always used scripturally in every other instance in application to the singular be used in this one instance in mis-application referring to multiple war dead ?

Are you even aware of how many scriptural one-offs you create in this flailing & feeble attempt to eviscerate the mighty monosyllables of God.

Not the mention the conspicuous places these misapplied scriptural one-offs are always turning up.

One thing I hope that we can both agree on is that there are a large number of battles with war dead detailed in the scripture other than the one you mention of King Josiah being killed in?

Out of all those other multiple descriptions of wars & battles, can you name just one other instance of the word "PIERCED" being used to describe multiple war dead ?

And when you fail to be able to do that could you please tell me why it is never used anywhere else in scripture. where multiple war dead are being spoken of ?
So let's look at the verse (or at least the relevant part of it)

וְהִבִּ֥יטוּ אֵלַ֖י אֵ֣ת אֲשֶׁר־דָּקָ֑רוּ וְסָפְד֣וּ עָלָ֗יו כְּמִסְפֵּד֙ עַל־הַיָּחִ֔יד

And they will (past tense with a vav hahipuch) look towards me concerning the ones who are slain, and they shall mourn on him, like one mourns over a unique individual

There are a few issues here. The first is the shift in number. The text describes people look to God about the many killed (dakaru is a plural but a passive one) and then, seemingly, mourning over an individual. But the key is that this is an image -- they will mourn like a person who mourns over a special individual (which is more intense than is normally for a group). The people, in their intensity, will view all those who died as a singular, intense loss.

The second is the verb, root d-q-r. For some reason, people like to translate it as "pierce" but that is a bit reductionist. It clearly generally means "to be slain" and sometimes, by stabbing with a sword, though in Lamentations 4:9 it means "wounded" and not killed and has nothing to do with stabbing.

Old 04-30-2023, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Just because you think it, doesn't mean it's the truth. That's pure ego.
Jesus tells us how to get the truth. If you don't do what Jesus says to do to get it, then you can't speak about it with any real knowledge.

Old 04-30-2023, 04:05 PM

18,250 posts, read 16,920,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Way View Post
I would say that your taunting of other posters is bordering on a violation of forum rules. I suggest you reign in your little hate fest toward Christianity and against Christians. No one is terrified of you. You simply aren't worth bothering with.

And you think name-calling IS okay????

Quote:
You are simply too tiny to pay any attention to. You remind me of a little mouse trying to roar like a lion but still squeaking like a mouse.
This "You aren't worth bothering with" stuff has grown wearisome and is just a cover for fear. Well, compowitz was looking forward to a debate between us. So were other, I'm sure. You're afraid to debate me. Too bad. You'll stick in the last word on this because you always have to, but I'm pretty much done with the issue.

Mike Way refuses to debate me, folks. Try to get him to agree if you want to see some really interesting stuff. I'll bow out at this point.

And by the way, compowitz, what you call bullying is no such thing. It's pure confidence that I can beat Mike in a debate any day of the week. He knows it, that's why he is running.

Old 04-30-2023, 04:09 PM

18,250 posts, read 16,920,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus'Truth View Post
You don't listen too well.

It isn't about Mike and you.

You have in the past avoided debating me, and you are still doing it.

You are the one who is terrified to debate certain Christians.

I'll debate you anytime you want, right now if you want, Truth. Pose the opening statement and I'll respond. Go ahead.

Old 04-30-2023, 04:29 PM

2,676 posts, read 1,264,706 times
Quote:
If "people" liked to translate it as "Pierce" then it would be translated that way in any of the multiple instances in which multiple war dead are spoken of throughout scripture.
Many discussions of war dead don't use this particular verb so translating anything else in accordance with this verb would be silly. And if people liked to translate it here as pierce, they would, and yet, very often, people don't translate it as pierce.

"But I will fill the House of David and the inhabitants of Jerusalem with a spirit of pity and compassion; and they shall lament to Me about those who are slain, wailing over them as over a favorite son and showing bitter grief as over a first-born."

"and they shall look towards me, regarding those whom the nations have thrust through."

"And they shall look to me because of those who have been thrust through [with swords], "

you really aren't going to like this one
וְיִבְעוּן מִן קָדָמַי עַל דִי אִיטַלְטְלוּ

weird, right?

Quote:
Apparently people do not like to translate it that way as much as you think or accordingly you would be able to cite one other, if not multiple uses of it .
But you have not cited even one other instance in scripture of it being applied in this same manner.
The word dakaru appears exactly 1 time in all of the Hebrew bible -- in this verse. Why would anyone translate a different word or form of the verb in the way this unique presentation is translated?

Old 04-30-2023, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Went against YOU! Who the hell do you think you are?
I can give you many scriptures that say to repent or perish, and give you many scriptures that say how to be saved, and scriptures that say faith alone is dead and cannot save anyone.

Quote:

And salvation by grace though faith and not by works = salvation by grace alone through faith alone and is biblical since Paul stated it in Eph. 2:8-9.
Paul doesn't says what you claim he does.

He says not of the works of the law.

The works of the law are the purification works.

Quote:

And I do have beliefs that are shared by many denominations. So fricken what? I'm still non-denominational. I do not belong to any denomination.
You finally came around to admitting its true what I said.
You have the same beliefs of many denominations.

Quote:

I doubt you'd know the truth if it bit you in the butt.
Try to debate me on it then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality