Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2019, 09:21 AM

13,931 posts, read 39,371,233 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
This we agree on... carpet, even cheap carpet, can last a long time with proper care.
The guy next door to me moved in when these apts were 1st built 25+ years ago Only tenant in his apt STILL has to Original Carpet.

Before they changed the flooring in my current apt for Planking that Carpet was 10 years old! When they changed the flooring to plank they left they old carpets in the bedroom.... until couple months later my sons room got a hole in it. That was 4 years ago Flooring looks like New Even with 3 dogs on it!

People seem to think that it has to be tossed at 5 years so why take care of it...... sheesh

Last edited by Katie1; 08-10-2019 at 09:31 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2019, 10:10 AM

4,169 posts, read 2,153,754 times
Quote:
The OP didn’t mention fleas and doesn’t have to. Those ‘cleansing’ pet fees he’s referring to usually mean a de fleaing of the unit ie: professional pest control treatment. I bet if he read his paperwork he’d find that this question and all his others would be answered. This fee does NOT replace the carpet cleaning he is expected to do.
Landlord can expect anything he/she wants.Most courts will not agree with it.

Quote:
This we agree on... carpet, even cheap carpet, can last a long time with proper care.
Apartment carpet which is low level grade is designed for 5 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
The guy next door to me moved in when these apts were 1st built 25+ years ago Only tenant in his apt STILL has to Original Carpet.

Before they changed the flooring in my current apt for Planking that Carpet was 10 years old! When they changed the flooring to plank they left they old carpets in the bedroom.... until couple months later my sons room got a hole in it. That was 4 years ago Flooring looks like New Even with 3 dogs on it!

People seem to think that it has to be tossed at 5 years so why take care of it...... sheesh

Yes carpet can last long time but it depends what is put in. Apartment carpet aka low quality is 5 years lifespan

Old 08-10-2019, 10:41 AM

32,694 posts, read 48,238,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewG96 View Post
............ since we have a cat we need to pay a "cleansing fee" of $125.........

I've never heard of a cat cleaning fee. What exactly, word for word does your lease say about a cat cleaning fee? What is this cat cleaning fee actually called. Is it specifically called a carpet cleaning fee?

Yes, the landlord can require professional carpet cleaning. You must leave the apartment as clean as or cleaner than it was when you took possession. If the carpet was professionally cleaned before you moved in, you leave the carpet professionally cleaned.

Leases do not give a blow by blow list of everything that must be cleaned. Your lease does not say that you can't leave spaghetti stuck to the living room ceiling, and yet you can't unless you pay to have the ceiling cleaned. Don't bother to argue that you don't have to clean the spaghetti off the ceiling because nowhere in the lease does it say that you must clean spaghetti off the ceiling.

Pets do require extra cleaning,. Maybe the duct work will be cleaned, the air filter cleaned, a pet deodorizing added to the carpet cleaning, or a flea treatment. $125 is not enough to pay for a professional carpet cleaning unless your apartment is extremely small, and you aren't going to get a half price carpet cleaning because you have a cat. So, I will bet that your lease does not say that you have paid $125 to have your carpet cleaned because you have cat.

Old 08-10-2019, 10:47 AM

Quote:
.........Apartment grade carpet has an expectancy of 1-5 years .........

I really wonder where so many tenants get so much misinformation.

The very cheapest carpet I can buy will last 10 years in a rental with even moderate care. With good care it will last twice that long and still look good.

Apartment grade carpet is much better than the cheap carpet I usually buy. It is rated 'apartment grade" because it is extra tough and designed to not show wear as badly, which means short nap, sturdy fiber, and non-fade dyes.

Judges all over the country will allow a 10 year depreciation for carpet replacement for tenant damaged carpet.

Old 08-10-2019, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I really wonder where so many tenants get so much misinformation.

The very cheapest carpet I can but will last 10 years in a rental with even moderate care. With good care it will last twice that long and still look good.

Apartment grade carpet is much better than the cheap carpet I usually buy. It is rated 'apartment grade" because it is extra tough and designed to not show wear as badly, which means short nap, sturdy fiber, and non-fade dyes.

Judges all over the country will allow a 10 year depreciation for carpet replacement for tenant damaged carpet.

That is the guideline of IRS to depreciate the carpet which is 5 years . Judges will laugh you out of court if you think you will get 10 years depreciation.

Old 08-10-2019, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by looker009 View Post
That is the guideline of IRS to depreciate the carpet which is 5 years . Judges will laugh you out of court if you think you will get 10 years depreciation.

Depreciation for the IRS has to do with income taxes and absolutely nothing to do with the life of the carpet. The IRS depreciates a house in 30 years. That doesn't mean that the house is worth zero after that and that tenants can't be charged for damage in a house older than 30 years because the house has been fully depreciated.

Judges are not figuring out the landlord's income taxes and IRS depreciation schedules have nothing to do with it. And judges all over the country are allowing 10 years depreciation for carpet and even longer than that with proof that the carpet has more life left.

Old 08-10-2019, 11:05 AM

6,482 posts, read 4,018,472 times
Quote:
So security deposit is there to help landlord clean the apartment? Interesting, i didn't know that. I was always under impression that security deposit is given in case tenant cause damage to the property. Yes if tenant leaves place a mess security deposit can be used to cover the cleaning but it also needs to be reasonable amount. Also just because landlord thinks that place needs additional cleaning doesn't mean that landlord can take it out from security deposit.
Right, that's exactly what I'm saying. If they don't think the tenant leaves the place clean, they will clean it themselves and deduct it. If the landlord has a professional carpet cleaner comes in and deducts that cost, why do you think it won't be a "reasonable" amount? The thing we're debating here is whether the landlord can require that when it wasn't stated up front at time of lease (or written into the lease), and whether they can charge for it on top of the cleaning fee the tenant already paid.

And, yeah, a landlord pretty much can think a place needs additional cleaning. It's their property. They're ultimately responsible for its condition when the next person moves in. (That's why I think it's wise they simply charge a cleaning fee and take care of it themselves. Besides, why would you want to move into a place and trust that the last person left it clean enough? I think it's a bit silly to charge a cleaning fee anyway; turnaround between tenants should be the responsibility of the landlord anyway, but apparently they don't always feel that way.) Many will let you know what their standard of clean is that they expect when you move out. If you don't meet it, they'll hire someone to get it that way and you get to pay for it.

Quote:
So just because landlord asks for it, tenant must do it? If landlord want carpet to be sanitary for next tenant, how is that the responsibility of the current tenant? Should landlord not pay for that professional carpet cleaning out of his/her pocket?
I would think so, but apparently landlords don't see it that way. I figure a person should have to pay for anything extraordinary, but otherwise I don't see landlords should be able to charge cleaning fees, painting fees, etc.; turnaround should be on them because they're literally in the business of having apartments to rent to people and a clean apartment is an expectation as much as an apartment without maintenance issues or pest issues. Unfortunately, they can and do. The rules may depend on the state they're located in.

It really doesn't matter how things "should" be-- they are how they are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
[I understand what you are saying 1st paragraph]
BUT No they Cant charge her Double. The Move out Checklist is a General one for ALL tenants. BUT for the Carpet cleaning Those with PETS have Agreed along with the LL Cost of Cleaning. OP Should be Concentrating on the Other items on the list & giving the carpet a Good Vacuum. LL are NOT allowed to Double Dip. BUT If she does have the carpet Cleaned she Wont get the $125 back. That's on her.
But this is the problem: the landlord apparently seems to think all tenants are to have carpet professionally cleaned upon moveout (and at least one tenant-- OP-- was not aware of this). The cat fee is only incident to the fact that OP has already paid a pet cleaning fee. The landlord hasn't asked the OP clean the carpet because of the cat, I think they would ask any tenant to do this regardless.

The only problem is that OP hasn't said that they were told the "pet cleaning fee" is specifically to clean the carpet, or if it's simply a pet fee, which many/most landlords want (if they don't also want an additional "pet rent" on top of the regular rent each month) and they don't usually specify exactly what it will be used for (and will keep it even if your pet does no damage, even if your pet has a hobby of making improvements to the apartment, pet fees are almost always nonrefundable).

Old 08-10-2019, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Depreciation for the IRS has to do with income taxes and absolutely nothing to do with the life of the carpet. The IRS depreciates a house in 30 years. That doesn't mean that the house is worth zero after that and that tenants can't be charged for damage in a house older than 30 years because the house has been fully depreciated.

Judges are not figuring out the landlord's income taxes and IRS depreciation schedules have nothing to do with it. And judges all over the country are allowing 10 years depreciation for carpet and even longer than that with proof that the carpet has more life left.

As someone that have done property management for many years,i can you tell you as a fact that if you are putting apartment carpet, you will not get anything over 5 years. Apartment carpet is known as low quality carpet.

Old 08-10-2019, 12:01 PM

29 posts, read 11,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K12144 View Post
Right, that's exactly what I'm saying. If they don't think the tenant leaves the place clean, they will clean it themselves and deduct it. If the landlord has a professional carpet cleaner comes in and deducts that cost, why do you think it won't be a "reasonable" amount? The thing we're debating here is whether the landlord can require that when it wasn't stated up front at time of lease (or written into the lease), and whether they can charge for it on top of the cleaning fee the tenant already paid.

And, yeah, a landlord pretty much can think a place needs additional cleaning. It's their property. They're ultimately responsible for its condition when the next person moves in. (That's why I think it's wise they simply charge a cleaning fee and take care of it themselves. Besides, why would you want to move into a place and trust that the last person left it clean enough? I think it's a bit silly to charge a cleaning fee anyway; turnaround between tenants should be the responsibility of the landlord anyway, but apparently they don't always feel that way.) Many will let you know what their standard of clean is that they expect when you move out. If you don't meet it, they'll hire someone to get it that way and you get to pay for it.

I would think so, but apparently landlords don't see it that way. I figure a person should have to pay for anything extraordinary, but otherwise I don't see landlords should be able to charge cleaning fees, painting fees, etc.; turnaround should be on them because they're literally in the business of having apartments to rent to people and a clean apartment is an expectation as much as an apartment without maintenance issues or pest issues. Unfortunately, they can and do. The rules may depend on the state they're located in.

It really doesn't matter how things "should" be-- they are how they are.

But this is the problem: the landlord apparently seems to think all tenants are to have carpet professionally cleaned upon moveout (and at least one tenant-- OP-- was not aware of this). The cat fee is only incident to the fact that OP has already paid a pet cleaning fee. The landlord hasn't asked the OP clean the carpet because of the cat, I think they would ask any tenant to do this regardless.

The only problem is that OP hasn't said that they were told the "pet cleaning fee" is specifically to clean the carpet, or if it's simply a pet fee, which many/most landlords want (if they don't also want an additional "pet rent" on top of the regular rent each month) and they don't usually specify exactly what it will be used for (and will keep it even if your pet does no damage, even if your pet has a hobby of making improvements to the apartment, pet fees are almost always nonrefundable).

Referencing the last message to clear up the air, I paid an upfront fee of 300 for the cat, I pay 25 per month and on move out we have to pay an additional 125 fee out of pocket to pay for the cat. The 125 is not deducted from the 300.

Post edit: I'm so glad I'm not going crazy because you have shown you actually understand what I'm asking as well as a few others. However, most of the posters see the word cat and lose all sense of reason apparently.

Old 08-10-2019, 12:24 PM

10,746 posts, read 26,074,957 times
Quote:
Referencing the last message to clear up the air, I paid an upfront fee of 300 for the cat, I pay 25 per month and on move out we have to pay an additional 125 fee out of pocket to pay for the cat. The 125 is not deducted from the 300.

Post edit: I'm so glad I'm not going crazy because you have shown you actually understand what I'm asking as well as a few others. However, most of the posters see the word cat and lose all sense of reason apparently.
So answer this question: what does your landlord say the ‘cleaning fee’ in for in regards to the cat? The last two leases I had clearly detailed what each fee and or deposit was for. Did you sign a lease not knowing what the fees were? Not being snarky, asking an actual question
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting