Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2013, 04:37 PM

2,634 posts, read 3,694,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
Here is one happiness study that details how the evidence was collected and studied. It is from Stanford University.
http://http://thehowofhappiness.com/

In fact there is a prof. Of theology who uses this text to help incoming freshman to cope with their class work and transition to college.
This isn't scientific evidence. But it's good all the same. Really.

Here's a pretty good definition of scientific evidence. It just can't be applied to something abstract like emotions. You just can't scientifically measure something that is abstract.

Scientific evidence is evidence which serves to either support or counter a scientifictheory or hypothesis. Such evidence is expected to be empirical evidence and in accordance with scientific method. Standards for scientific evidence vary according to the field of inquiry, but the strength of scientific evidence is generally based on the results of statistical analysis and the strength of scientific controls.

Last edited by Fran66; 05-13-2013 at 04:43 PM.. Reason: Addition
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2013, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamish Forbes View Post
OK, somebody has to do it (unless somebody already has and I just missed it):

"Happy families are all alike; every unhappy family is unhappy in its own way."

-- Leo Tolstoy, opening line of Anna Karenina
You missed it. Somebody already said it. You are second -- but no cigar. LLLLLLLLLLLOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLLLLL

And first of all -- Tolstoy -- while I love him -- wasn't 'god'. He wasn't even a psychologist or social worker. What did he know.

Old 05-13-2013, 04:54 PM

2,991 posts, read 4,290,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran66 View Post
You missed it. Somebody already said it.
Rats!!! I thought that I had this one.

Old 05-13-2013, 05:40 PM

15,970 posts, read 7,032,343 times
Quote:

Here's a pretty good definition of scientific evidence. It just can't be applied to something abstract like emotions. You just can't scientifically measure something that is abstract.

Scientific evidence is evidence which serves to either support or counter a scientifictheory or hypothesis. Such evidence is expected to be empirical evidence and in accordance with scientific method. Standards for scientific evidence vary according to the field of inquiry, but the strength of scientific evidence is generally based on the results of statistical analysis and the strength of scientific controls.
ok. if you say so. whatever.

Old 05-13-2013, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
ok. if you say so. whatever.
I am not trying to put you down and shut you up. Since you may not have a background in any science -- and that is nothing wrong with that -- you may not know that not everything can be scientifically measured. An object must have weight (and subsequently mass) to be able to be scientifically measured. Emotions has no mass -- they have no mass, no weight, no height, no depth, no circumference. Emotions are abstract. They cannot be scientifically measured. In fact, I don't see how even the effects of happiness -- or sadness -- or any emotion -- can be scientifically measured.

And I'm not all that smart. So if someone knows I'm wrong -- just chime in here.

Old 05-13-2013, 06:47 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,928,336 times
Quote:

I just have to add that this definition is socially constructed.

A basic tenant in quantum physics is that the observer affects the outcome of any experiment. There is really no such thing as "objectivism."

All research is biased.

Everyone of the underlined terms can be debated.

The stance you are citing arose from DesCartes and Newton and separated body from mind - there are Church (i.e., Catholic dictates which resulted in witch burnings, etc.) politics involved, as well . . .

I just had to say something because people insert this kind of "fact" and a lot of people don't realize that what goes into "reality" is a consensus view, which is a popular social construct.

Old 05-13-2013, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
I just have to add that this definition is socially constructed.

A basic tenant in quantum physics is that the observer affects the outcome of any experiment. There is really no such thing as "objectivism."

All research is biased.

Everyone of the underlined terms can be debated.

The stance you are citing arose from DesCartes and Newton and separated body from mind - there are Church (i.e., Catholic dictates which resulted in witch burnings, etc.) politics involved, as well . . .

I just had to say something because people insert this kind of "fact" and a lot of people don't realize that what goes into "reality" is a consensus view, which is a popular social construct.
Ok. If you say so. Whatever.

Old 05-13-2013, 07:02 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,974,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
What is advice on how a parent should approach hostilities or estrangements between one's children?

Do you think a parent's wishes or influence have any impact on the children?

Or should the parent just keep their mouth shut and hope that they resolve their differences in time - even if it is not in your lifetime?
One of my sisters has two kids who were hostile to each other. Actually, it was her daughter who was really the hostile one, bitterly jealous of her brother and how she thinks he got "more" growing up. It was very stressful for my sister. I suggested that she let drop casually how much her son cares for his sister, always asking about her. Now that was not true, but it softened the daughter and she approached her brother and they have been close ever since. I feel bad about encouraging a lie though, I know it was unethical. I would not personally have done it, yet I saw my sister about to force them together and I knew that spelled disaster.

Old 05-13-2013, 07:06 PM

15,970 posts, read 7,032,343 times
Quote:
I am not trying to put you down and shut you up. Since you may not have a background in any science -- and that is nothing wrong with that -- you may not know that not everything can be scientifically measured. An object must have weight (and subsequently mass) to be able to be scientifically measured. Emotions has no mass -- they have no mass, no weight, no height, no depth, no circumference. Emotions are abstract. They cannot be scientifically measured. In fact, I don't see how even the effects of happiness -- or sadness -- or any emotion -- can be scientifically measured.

And I'm not all that smart. So if someone knows I'm wrong -- just chime in here.
just don't say this to social scientists, economists, psychologists and any number of others involved in research, collection of data, and analysis, such as marketing analysts, equity analysts etc, etc.

me - you can say anything to me. i don't know much and will totally believe you.

Old 05-13-2013, 07:34 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,506,170 times
I wish I could scoop all our members on this forum up and magically land you in my home, for a long weekend of food, beverage, music and lively discussion! So enjoy the different insights and perspectives! ((((group hug))))

WELL BEING! YES!!!!

I know of a "happy family" that appears happy and the parents and adult children will tell you they are a happy family, but in private, both the adult children and the parents themselves have expressed a lot of suppressed resentment and what I think any layman would readily recognize as enabling behavior going on . . . and forced adherence to a set of structured "rules" to meet parental expectations. Yet, they are "picture perfect" if you are on the outside looking in . . . and I feel most folks would label them a "happy family."

If the measurement of familial happiness is how many times a year they get together, communicate (on the phone, text, whatever) how many holidays they celebrate together, how often they all remember each other's birthdays, anniversaries, etc . . . then I think many dysfunctional families would be called "happy" - at least to the observer. Following the "rules" may be meeting someone's expectations (usually a parent's expectations) but it doesn't mean the members are happy about the compliance.

I do know what I think are some happy families -- and since I grew up with these folks -- I saw how their parents interacted with them and I saw how my friends, as adults, have interacted with their own adult children (and in some cases, their grandchildren). Things were kept very very simple. Parents never had ugly things to say about the other people in their families, nor did they stand in judgment of the other families around them in the neighborhood. They were simply "good folks" who went to church, took care of their property, showed up when they heard someone in the community was having a hard time (illness, death in the family, out of job, etc). My friends were never compared to other kids in the community; they were simply encouraged to be the best they could be and to BE A KIND PERSON.

My friends treated their own children in much the same way. Thinking of two couples in particular . . . they have done a lot of volunteer work and often, their children were beside them in those endeavors.

At home, my friends felt it was a "safe haven" -- their parents were not ones to lecture. Evening meals were always together and lots of lively family discussion and politeness and civility. Issues as such were often brought up and discussed at dinner and resolved on the spot.

These were not wealthy folks - they were hard working, honest people who valued education above anything else and made sacrifices (forget the new car!) to make sure all their children received higher education in the field of their choice.

My friends modeled their parenting from the quiet, kind, stable life they experienced growing up.

Their adult children show concern and respect for their parents and when I am around them as a group, things seem very good natured and laid back.

So I do think there are stable, happy families. And I think they are usually composed of folks who keep things simple.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement