Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2018, 10:20 AM

6,707 posts, read 8,780,002 times

Advertisements

Of course it is not the same thing. Traffic issues are almost daily. Fireworks are what?...3-4 times a year? In addition to traffic increasing, expect more firework enthusiasts as the population grows.

As a homeowner, it is not that simple to just move around. I bought my home before I got what is my current job. I have my home the way I like it and intended to stay here for awhile but yes if traffic gets so bad then I may consider making the change. Thanks once again for the advice buddy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2018, 01:41 PM

1,514 posts, read 891,096 times
Current SA population growth means many things for locals. Some of which (but not limited to):

1. Increased traffic
2. Increased new home purchase price
3. Increased used home purchase price
4. Increased home rental price
5. Increased apartment rental price
6. Increased property tax
7. Increased crime - more people generally means more crime
8. Increased taxes in other areas eventually - increased populating generally means increased taxes in other areas
9. Incredibly competitive market where people in high competition for buying a used home - being outbid even bidding asking/home value price, other buyers offering to pay all closing costs etc.
10. Apartment rental property availability become more scarce - more competition - apartments can increase both requirements and price - out of state investors move in to build "premium" apartments to charge a "premium" price
11. Increased fuel taxes affecting price may eventually follow - fuel is nationally traded - only thing really affecting price is this and local taxes and whether either of these decrease or increase
12. Food prices may increase as more distribution and logistics is needed due to increased population
13. Schools may become overcrowded - less one on one attention for your child - child may perform worse - quality of each child's education as whole may decline - may possibly start to see a trend in this area
14. Longer wait times to see a specialized physician - more people means more in the que/waiting list to see a specialty doc
15. Unemployment may become an issue for locals in lower income jobs as more compete for them

San Antonio used to be the bastion of quality living at an affordable price. A diamond in the rough. A fairly big city population wise (7th largest in US) with a hometown feel. A place where others in the nation used to overlook. We were off the radar and this was a good thing for locals.

This is no longer the case. We have been found by both investors and by others looking to move here nationally. The numbers show it (population increases, home prices, traffic, property taxes etc)

SA needs to re-engage its cloaking device and fast.

Old 06-02-2018, 10:42 AM

1,038 posts, read 876,880 times
I'm just sitting back and enjoying the luddites who's heads are exploding over all of this growth

Old 06-05-2018, 02:41 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,454,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txbullsfan View Post
Current SA population growth means many things for locals. Some of which (but not limited to):

1. Increased traffic
Which also means increased commuting times and more fuel burned--creating more fuel consumption. Eventually the exhaust will pile up with smog that might rival Los Angeles since Texas doesn't have California's strict emissions standards.

Old 06-05-2018, 03:11 PM

9,852 posts, read 13,701,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
Which also means increased commuting times and more fuel burned--creating more fuel consumption. Eventually the exhaust will pile up with smog that might rival Los Angeles since Texas doesn't have California's strict emissions standards.
I think it will take a lot more growth and a lot more time before that happens. It’s not a concern in Austin and our growth is enormous. Maybe if the two metros really do combine between the New Braunfels and buda.

Old 06-06-2018, 05:00 PM

1,514 posts, read 891,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
I think it will take a lot more growth and a lot more time before that happens. It’s not a concern in Austin and our growth is enormous. Maybe if the two metros really do combine between the New Braunfels and buda.
I am most certain, with the degree of people moving to Austin, SA and in between and commuting between the two cities for work and home, that whole belt between Austin and SA will eventually combine the two cities to make one large grouping of people. The hell that is 35 right now during rush hour and even on the weekends between the two cities is nothing compared to what it will look like in 5 to 15 years.

With the influx of migration in the Austin/SA areas, SA traffic will continue to get worse. Austin traffic will continue to get worse. Traffic between the two will continue to get worse. There simply is just too many people and not enough roadway/lanes currently.

With more residential and commercial buildings being built because of this influx of people, Texas needs to make highway/major roadway preparations now for a possible new highway and other modes of quick transport to be built between Austin and SA before poop increases in hitting the fan. Its already been hitting the fan but that poop is continuing to increase. The writing is on the wall. Now is the time for Texas to plan and implement that plan real soon before more buildings are built and more people move here. There still is time and they can still make something happen.

In regards to SA, we should make sure the zoning near 1604 is made in such a way that commercial/retail/residential/any buildings can not be built right up to/very close to the highway. There should always be plenty of room between any type of building and a major highway/roadway. 1604 lanes will need to expand with this continued growth, otherwise it will become more of a rush hour nightmare. The same thing should have happened with 281 North of 1604. That drive is a rush hour nightmare. The same thing with "Wurzbach Parkway". The same "plenty of space" zoning should happen on any road here in SA or anywhere in the states really. I never really understood why government allows buildings (any type) to be built so close to major roadways as this leaves very little room for expansion. The world's population continues to increase and with that, so does traffic. Its very difficult to expand a highway/roadway when a Wally World/Quick stop, apartment, etc is built up very close to the road.

Old 06-06-2018, 08:41 PM

814 posts, read 676,702 times
1604 on the northside clogs up earlier and earlier in the afternoon every month that passes

Old 06-12-2018, 02:46 PM

4,468 posts, read 10,617,004 times
San Antonio used to be the bastion of quality living at an affordable price. A diamond in the rough. A fairly big city population wise (7th largest in US) with a hometown feel. A place where others in the nation used to overlook. We were off the radar and this was a good thing for locals.

This is no longer the case. We have been found by both investors and by others looking to move here nationally. The numbers show it (population increases, home prices, traffic, property taxes etc)

SA also used to have low wages, at least in my field (accounting/tax). I haven't checked in about 18 months and did some research last night. I was pleasantly surprised to see that wages in my field have risen and are now on par with other major US metro areas, while rental costs are still reasonable (compared to Dallas, Houston and Austin).

Old 06-14-2018, 12:10 AM

73 posts, read 71,937 times
We desperately need civilized people to move in San Antonio, who have basic manners, are considered of others, have regard for the law and safety of others and last but not least, drive in a safe manner. So many low IQ people around, driving like maniacs, texting and driving and running red lights like there is no tomorrow. It's a known fact, only insecure guys that need that extra inch, drive these huge trucks with huge loud mufflers and huge wheel. You don't have to broadcast it to everyone.

Old 06-14-2018, 06:03 AM

4,437 posts, read 5,349,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StormNinja View Post
We desperately need civilized people to move in San Antonio, who have basic manners, are considered of others, have regard for the law and safety of others and last but not least, drive in a safe manner. So many low IQ people around, driving like maniacs, texting and driving and running red lights like there is no tomorrow. It's a known fact, only insecure guys that need that extra inch, drive these huge trucks with huge loud mufflers and huge wheel. You don't have to broadcast it to everyone.
Miserable much?

https://texasceomagazine.com/feature...alent-economy/

https://therivardreport.com/just-thi...ennial-flocks/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio