Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2018, 01:52 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,761,214 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StormNinja View Post
It's a known fact, only insecure guys that need that extra inch, drive these huge trucks with huge loud mufflers and huge wheel. You don't have to broadcast it to everyone.
Some deal with their insecurity by accusing others of insecurity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2019, 06:33 AM

4,437 posts, read 5,350,902 times
San Antonio (City only)
July 1, 2018 population
+20,824

San Antonio city limit growth slowed slightly but it was still the second fastest growing city in the country by raw numbers only behind Phoenix. New Braunfels was the second fastest growing large city in country by percentage behind Buckeye, AZ.

https://www.census.gov/newsroom/pres...estimates.html

Old 05-23-2019, 05:08 PM

3,163 posts, read 1,727,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imaterry78259 View Post
Austin is still kicking SA butt but why?
I think that the out of staters like Austin because it’s so overwhelmingly Anglo white. They think of SA as part of Mexico.

Old 05-23-2019, 07:48 PM

1,552 posts, read 2,330,575 times
It would have to take a decision not to zone any more massive apartment complexes and/or very high density single family homes developments. That is not going to happen as the money flows into somebody's hands.

Just like at the satellite maps of the areas north of 1604 to realize that no conceivable building plan can catch up to those dumping population onto the roads.

The available space inside 1604 is filling up also. The intersections of I-10 and DeZavala, Huebner and Wurzback are becoming dangerous due to overcrowding as people overfull the timing of the lights.

BTW, the new intersection on Bandera and 1604 are a real joy. If you make the left going north to go west on 1604 and want to get into the stores by the Silverado, you get dumped across three lanes of traffic which seem not synchronized to the left turn lights.

Waiting till a drunk turns up into the traffic as he or she can't understand the road or the signage which isn't really that clear. Saw a guy who missed the left coming from the North and was paralyzed trying to turn left when you can't. If you come out of the Silverado area and want to turn left, going south, you are just out of luck. Can't do it. Have to go under the road and use the streets by Bandera Pointe or the HEB loop. This guy was frozen. HONK, HONK!

Old 05-23-2019, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEM-Texas View Post
It would have to take a decision not to zone any more massive apartment complexes and/or very high density single family homes developments. That is not going to happen as the money flows into somebody's hands.

Just like at the satellite maps of the areas north of 1604 to realize that no conceivable building plan can catch up to those dumping population onto the roads.

The available space inside 1604 is filling up also. The intersections of I-10 and DeZavala, Huebner and Wurzback are becoming dangerous due to overcrowding as people overfull the timing of the lights.

BTW, the new intersection on Bandera and 1604 are a real joy. If you make the left going north to go west on 1604 and want to get into the stores by the Silverado, you get dumped across three lanes of traffic which seem not synchronized to the left turn lights.

Waiting till a drunk turns up into the traffic as he or she can't understand the road or the signage which isn't really that clear. Saw a guy who missed the left coming from the North and was paralyzed trying to turn left when you can't. If you come out of the Silverado area and want to turn left, going south, you are just out of luck. Can't do it. Have to go under the road and use the streets by Bandera Pointe or the HEB loop. This guy was frozen. HONK, HONK!
I’m sorry, if you cannot read signs you should not drive.

As someone who uses the intersection the traffic is better. (That is how I get breakfast sometimes)

Old 05-24-2019, 01:57 AM

448 posts, read 919,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopelesscause View Post
I think that the out of staters like Austin because it’s so overwhelmingly Anglo white. They think of SA as part of Mexico.
That's silly.

Anyhow, Austin ranked at #6, behind SA.

Old 05-24-2019, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynetwo View Post
I’m sorry, if you cannot read signs you should not drive.

As someone who uses the intersection the traffic is better. (That is how I get breakfast sometimes)

I'm sorry. You need to study human factors to understand that roads or anything can be poorly designed.
There are many good books on the topics, such as Design of Every Day Things by Donald Norman.

I'm sorry if you cannot read that. The design needs some tuning up with signage.

Old 05-24-2019, 04:41 PM

Quote:
I'm sorry. You need to study human factors to understand that roads or anything can be poorly designed.
There are many good books on the topics, such as Design of Every Day Things by Donald Norman.

I'm sorry if you cannot read that. The design needs some tuning up with signage.
Did I hit a nerve? I didn’t realize you were talking about yourself, I honestly thought you saw people having trouble.

I have driven through the intersection multiple times and did not have any issues. Email TXDot and see if they will incorporate your changes or at the very least read your book.

Old 05-24-2019, 05:34 PM

I was reporting what I saw and what a police officer friend told me that he was seeing. Most people drive everyday without accidents. However, flaws can lead to older folks, impaired folks having more trouble than they do on less complicated roads.

If TXDot doesn't have folks with human factors training and aware of the very large literature and field of traffic design (there are large professional conferences on such), then they weren't doing due diligence.

Old 05-25-2019, 08:53 AM

Quote:
I was reporting what I saw and what a police officer friend told me that he was seeing. Most people drive everyday without accidents. However, flaws can lead to older folks, impaired folks having more trouble than they do on less complicated roads.

If TXDot doesn't have folks with human factors training and aware of the very large literature and field of traffic design (there are large professional conferences on such), then they weren't doing due diligence.

The government functions to keep us from hurting ourselves which causes over regulation to point of financial paralysis for many small innovators. Where is the happy and economically responsible median? IDK.

That said, I do agree with what your saying as to the training and or background of the team making designs like this. Since the government has its hand in everything I ASSumed they had many intelligent people designing this new road. Who knows.

I don’t have trouble with design, but like you said above, that does not mean people with limiting capacities have the same experience.

Geez GEM, your annoying and made me rethink what should have been simple.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio