Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2013, 09:13 AM

4,498 posts, read 9,385,109 times

Advertisements

Yeah, healthcare is a great field as well. Especially Allied Health professionals. That should continue to be a good field in most major cities. And I've always said that everyone needs a good accountant. Accountants with a good track record and strong references I think should always be in demand in major cities. So that's great.

No doubt San Diego will blow N. Virginia out of the water if you can comfortably afford it. The winters suck out there. So does traffic. And it's not even like the real estate market is cheap there because it's not. Many areas are more expensive than San Diego. San Diego is really paradise! I know I'll never leave San Diego. We're definitely here for the long haul. It's paradise compared to most places not only around the USA but around the world.

Fabulous fabulous city, especially if you're not too far from the beach. You will love it here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2013, 09:33 AM

1,665 posts, read 2,975,487 times
I don't see any problem with taking a better offer from someone -- whether that's more money, better working conditions, or whatever floats your boat -- if you get it.

This isn't the world where you work 30 years for one employer and get a watch and a pension at the end of it. If you're not happy where you are, you can either be unhappy and hate getting up to go to work in the morning, or do something about it.

Why should there be a time limit on how long your talents will be underutilized and an employer is paying an unhappy employee? Getting out of a situation that is not beneficial to you and the employer, whether it's after three months, three years, or three decades, is something that benefits both employee and employer.

Old 02-27-2013, 09:36 AM

2,986 posts, read 4,578,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyinsd View Post
I don't see any problem with taking a better offer from someone -- whether that's more money, better working conditions, or whatever floats your boat -- if you get it.

This isn't the world where you work 30 years for one employer and get a watch and a pension at the end of it. If you're not happy where you are, you can either be unhappy and hate getting up to go to work in the morning, or do something about it.

Why should there be a time limit on how long your talents will be underutilized and an employer is paying an unhappy employee? Getting out of a situation that is not beneficial to you and the employer, whether it's after three months, three years, or three decades, is something that benefits both employee and employer.
Yea I was going to put that in my post as well. Gone are the days where you work your entire career for a single employer and they take care of you at the end. Those types of loyalties are dead for the most part in today's business world. Taking the money or the promotion by switching employers is how the game is played these days.

Ironically, my Dad worked for the same company for 30 years before he up and quit and moved to San Diego

Old 02-27-2013, 09:51 AM

I do agree gone are the days of working for the same company for decades and getting a pension. Unfortunately those days are long gone. Those companies that haven't eliminated their pension programs most likely will in the future. Anyone that was fortunate enough to have worked for a company and received a pension are VERY fortunate as they are worth a small fortune these days. Especially if you landed a Federal Pension that includes free healthcare benefits.

Still, I don't really think jumping ship every year or two years perpetually is a good idea either. Any time I see that on a resume I never hired them because it can signal a lack of stability. Granted, much depends on your field you are in. Some high tech employees get poached all the time and recruited so I'm not talking about them.

But my best hires in life have been employees that had a track record of some stability. I treated them VERY well and in return they were super loyal.

Old 02-27-2013, 12:38 PM

354 posts, read 385,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMUAlum08 View Post
Hold up a minute. My mom changes jobs because she can. If she doesn't like her job, she will leave. I know it sounds crazy but she won't put up with eating **** just because she is employed. I think she is on her second or third job because she didn't like what she was doing in her first two positions and felt abused by the amount of work she was being asked to do for what her compensation was. She was never laid off, she quit her job after she had something lined else lined up. That's a lack of stability by choice and it hasn't effected her ability to find work so I don't think she is worried about that. Jumping from job to job is part of the game these days. Maybe not multiple jobs within a year, but every couple years changing jobs seems to be the best way to get that next promotion or a bigger pay raise. Maybe that's an east coast thing.

My dad is a different story altogether. The partners at his old firm had some sort of internal beef going between them. The partner that hired my Dad didn't consult the other partner before hiring my dad. After tax season was finished the partner that didn't hire my dad called him into his office and laid him off mostly because he resented the other partner's decision to hire my Dad without consulting him. It was a very strange situation. He found another job a few months later at a location much much closer to where he lives.

My mom has never been without a job since she moved there (except for the first month) and my Dad was bummed out that he got laid off but made the best of it and found a better company to work for that is only about 10 miles from his house as opposed to 40 miles. He is much happier now so it worked out for the best
I think GMUalum's original post was meant to show that finding jobs in SD is definitely possible. And for new grads on the east coast, it's understood that changing jobs is necessary for bigger salaries and overall job happiness. what i've noticed at my particular company is that people get settled in for about 20 or 30 years- and that blows my mind. they just do it so they don't have to update their skills and remain competitive, IMO at least.

Old 02-27-2013, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlyretirement View Post

Yes, if you're willing to get ANY job that is important to keep cash flow coming in and avoiding racking up debt. But it just will come down to a question of the final end game. How long you are willing to possibly make lower wages before finding a job you like. I think that's the major decision most people need to make in your shoes.
Agreed- I'll have a time limit eventually, just not sure at this point when. my focus right now and when i move will be to just keep applying and making connections to see what comes from it!

Old 02-27-2013, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMUAlum08 View Post
My mom works in healthcare (which is probably why she is able to find new work so quickly) and my dad is a Tax CPA. Both good fields to be in for job opportunities like you mentioned.

The biggest thing I forgot to mention (or sort of did), is that they are extremely happy in San Diego and with their choice to leave Northern Virgina and come out there. I'm glad it has worked out for them.

My Dad works 200 yards away from the beach in Carlsbad and will take his lunch breaks on the beach. Its hard to put a price tag on something like that and is something he would have never experienced if he stayed in NoVA

ahhhhh lunch breaks on the beach?!!! <3 <3 <3 <3 i'm in love

Old 02-27-2013, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by divagotstyle07 View Post
Agreed- I'll have a time limit eventually, just not sure at this point when. my focus right now and when i move will be to just keep applying and making connections to see what comes from it!

That's a good plan of action. Maybe just make a short-term and long-term goal. Maybe you can say by X date if you haven't found X type of job then you will explore moving to other areas where you can put your degree to use. But of course, hopefully you find what you're looking for here in San Diego. But it's always good to have a goal and deadline of what you will do if you don't find what you're looking for in a defined time limit.

Good luck Diva and keep us posted.

Old 02-27-2013, 10:20 PM

3,038 posts, read 4,777,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by divagotstyle07 View Post
ahhhhh lunch breaks on the beach?!!! <3 <3 <3 <3 i'm in love
I sent you a PM.

Old 03-02-2013, 08:46 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,211,665 times
I agree with sdbarb. I just hung out with a few friends today in Encinitas, and the laid-back, healthy lifestyle you seem to enjoy is very prevalent there. It's a bit more diverse and liberal than other areas in San Diego, and I think you'd enjoy it there because it's beautiful as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego