Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2011, 05:22 PM

9,182 posts, read 12,128,391 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by irrational exuberance View Post
B. Seattle has 226 overcast days a year on average
C. Seattle has 308 cloudy days a year on average and of that number 226 are overcast days or as many refer to grey days.
as I said overcast and cloudy are synonyms. There is a reason for everything. That's why there are days called partly cloudy. Otherwise it would have been only 2 types - sunny and cloudy. But they are 3 types And according to your calculation Seattle has 366 days a year
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2011, 05:43 PM

236 posts, read 472,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
as I said overcast and cloudy are synonyms. There is a reason for everything. That's why there are days called partly cloudy. Otherwise it would have been only 2 types - sunny and cloudy. But they are 3 types And according to your calculation Seattle has 366 days a year
In Seattle every year is a leap year

ok fine take the extra day and throw it in the cloudy column

So from your calculation Seattle gets 201 overcast days 71 clear days and 130 partly cloudy days = 402 day years

Last edited by irrational exuberance; 07-22-2011 at 06:13 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 07-22-2011, 05:44 PM

8 posts, read 12,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
Just looking at Seattle's ten day forecast on weather.com:

And comparing it to ours:

The predicted weather for my area actually looks like a relief to me, because it's considerably cooler than what we've been having. Our overnight lows should be in the 70s every night (or 69 if we're lucky), so the dew point will be similar each day. Which means heat indexes over 100, as usual. Luckily I won't be here much longer.

umm, nobody is going to argue that seattle has better weather in the summer than nashville. But there is an arguement to be made that nashville has better weather than seattle 9 months out of the year. for example, april of this year in seattle = average high of 52 and 20 days of rain, and only 4 days of actual sunshine. nashville = average high of 75 degrees and half the month was sunny skies. that's godly weather for anyone in seattle in april.

Old 07-22-2011, 06:16 PM

236 posts, read 472,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
Seattle averages 71 sunny and 201 cloudy days. The difference is 130 partly cloudy. So if I use the same calculation Miami is one of the cloudiest places in USA - it averages 115 cloudy+175 partly cloudy = 290 overcast days You really don't understand what a partly cloudy day is

May 24, 2008 - partly cloudy day

July 18, 2009 - partly cloudy day

May 10, 2009 - partly cloudy day

Should I keep going?
In case you forgot your math

Old 07-22-2011, 08:55 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,742,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gerardo88 View Post
umm, nobody is going to argue that seattle has better weather in the summer than nashville. But there is an arguement to be made that nashville has better weather than seattle 9 months out of the year. for example, april of this year in seattle = average high of 52 and 20 days of rain, and only 4 days of actual sunshine. nashville = average high of 75 degrees and half the month was sunny skies. that's godly weather for anyone in seattle in april.
The problem with 75 degrees in Nashville is that the humidity can easily make it feel much warmer. Not that it always does, but it certainly can and does. And I only speak for myself here, but much of April and May here is very uncomfortable to me. My body is still used to winter weather, and the new-found heat and especially humidity is awful. Also, just speaking for myself again, I'm more comfortable at 52 degrees than 75. And when it does rain in April in Nashville, it storms. And that can be far more inconvenient that a persistent, light rain. And of course sometimes it can be quite dangerous. Dealing with storm damage, sometimes tornadoes, yard cleanup, and the resulting insurance hassles (if you own a house or car) is quite a pain. Late March or early April generally signifies the yearly end to my outdoor comfort and cheerfulness. From then until the end of October it's all discomfort for me.

Old 07-23-2011, 12:10 AM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,164,711 times
I'd say that humidity levels are at least as important to me as percent of sunshine. I suppose 20-60% would be the comfort range.

Old 07-23-2011, 12:25 AM

9,182 posts, read 12,128,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irrational exuberance View Post
In case you forgot your math
it's a typo. the right number is 93. These are the official averages for downtown Seattle (71 sunny, 93 partly cloudy, 201 cloudy). 58 sunny and 226 cloudy are for SeaTac

Last edited by Botev1912; 07-23-2011 at 01:12 AM..

Old 07-23-2011, 12:55 AM

38 posts, read 101,130 times
Default Seattle weather: Moving there a gamble?

Hello.
My wife and I are considering a job offer in Bellevue. We grew up in SoCal, have lived in New Orleans and Colorado, and now back in SoCal. I wondered how we would tolerate the weather? Is there any tips or ideas or suggestions on how people may find out how they would do? I hate to move if there's a huge chance we'd not do well. Obviously, it's personal to everyone - but was curious if anyone had thoughts?

Old 07-23-2011, 02:22 AM

591 posts, read 866,368 times
Overall Seattle is coolish - I remember once on the ferry to Bremerton it was 60 in July with a wind chill pushing it to around 45. The high is around 80---82 each year, and infrequently it gets a little snow in winter. They generally don't have lawn sprinklers or A/C.

The big question: how badly do you hate rain?? if you do, you won't like it.

Old 07-23-2011, 04:30 AM

253 posts, read 571,454 times
Honestly I like the weather. I grew up in S. Alabama along the Gulf Coast, and have lived in Georgia, North Carolina, Germany, and Iraq. I loved the weather in the Puget Sound region (worked in Tacoma, lived in Bellevue). You don't freeze your ass off in winter, you don't boil in your own sweat in summer. The rain out there is a joke. If you've lived in NO, then you know what real rain is. They don't have that out there. In fact if it turns to actual raindrops instead of just a light mist or drizzle, everyone freaks out. No lie, I've been on I-5 when what would be a light summer shower on the Gulf Coast happened and traffic slowed down to 35. LOL And no humidity, which is odd for being so close to the Sound and with lakes everywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area