Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2013, 01:17 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,348,695 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyhunting View Post
I'd like to personally appologize for this, although I don't consider myself white, just melanin challenged. I may in fact be related to the Cullens's family of vampires in Forks, pretty pale. I know that last week I was the only one at my son's game, during a gray day with a few sprinkles, to actually burn.

That aside, my husband is not white (our kids are mixed race) and nothing up here bothers them about lack of diversity. We're in Ballard (home of the Norwegiens) and I think every summer at Seafair we comment on just how white the whole crowd is. However, their schools are plenty diverse, as are all of their friends. We have family in Chicago and other cities where there is a whole lot more diversity, but there is also a whole lot more segregation. I'd rather rather feel comfortable in my environment, even if less diverse, than have all the diversity and feel judged.

Not everyone's experiences are the same, but I've always felt comfortable in this city. I think the diversity rumor is really based on that Seattle has a high population of interracial marriages and a certain zip code that is considered the most diverse zip in the nation, or some such thing.
That zip code is the 98118, and the claim that it is the most diverse in the nation is not accurate. Some zip code in Queens NY holds the title. But the 98118 is very diverse, with lots of Whites, Blacks( African Americans and Somalis, Ethiopians, Kenyans, Senegalese, Eritreans, etc,) Asians( Japanese, Chinese, Filipinos,Vietnamese, Cambodians, Lao), Hispanics, Jews, Christians, Muslims, Buddhists.
Still, while Seattle may have diversity, it's not diversity that's evenly distributed. For example, Fremont, Ballard, Queen Anne, Wallingford, Ravenna, etc are more than 80% white. The real diversity is in the south end, like the 98118 zip code. But the neighborhoods that are diverse are also the neighborhoods that people tell you to stay away from.
An old pal of mine, a Norwegian from Ballard, when asked about the lack of diversity in Seattle, responded " What do you mean we're not diverse? We've got Norwegians AND Swedes."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2013, 04:09 AM

217 posts, read 411,660 times
FTR, no one said food defines life. The OP asked what you don't like about Seattle. and food is my primary issue at the moment. I'm convinced good food is out there, I just haven't found much of it yet.
I'm not a fan of NY style pizza...I'm from SC so the pizza war goes right over my head. I have no side in this fight. my SO isn't especially upset about it either...he's pretty clear that good NY style pizza is in NY

interesting to see how this thread has evolved though. I've never defined diversity as "how many AA people live there" so it's curious to me that that seems to be the threshold. I've met so many people from all over the world here. It's nothing even remotely like the South in that regard. diversity is something I've always sought out...my kiddo is biracial and I've gone waaaaaay out of my way to keep her from feeling different or out of place. It's not as diverse as NYC but where in the US is? the AA and Hispanic populations are bigger in some other cities, true, but that doesn't mean they don't exist here. I guess I just was very pleasantly surprised at how diverse it turned out to be. It's all personal perception.

Old 09-08-2013, 08:29 PM

399 posts, read 883,122 times
So the nightlife isnt that great?

Old 09-08-2013, 10:45 PM

259 posts, read 522,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoorSeattle View Post
What the? Change your SN please.

Old 09-08-2013, 10:53 PM

399 posts, read 883,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromChicagotoSeattle View Post
What the? Change your SN please.

Im choosing between Chicago and Seattle. Hence username.

Dont take the internet too seriously brah.

Old 09-08-2013, 11:07 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,363,370 times
Quote:

As a former Chicagoan, I LOL'ed.

Old 09-08-2013, 11:47 PM

259 posts, read 522,818 times
Quote:

Oh I was busting your chops. No offense meant.

Come to Seattle. It's amazing here!

Old 09-09-2013, 12:15 AM

5,281 posts, read 6,591,728 times
Quote:

I think it sucks. Some are ok with it. I hate the 1:30 am last call. Out east I wouldn't leave to go out until 12

Old 09-09-2013, 01:11 AM

1,979 posts, read 3,527,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
I think it sucks. Some are ok with it. I hate the 1:30 am last call. Out east I wouldn't leave to go out until 12
It's 1:30 am in L.A. too. In fact, it is in most places.

Old 09-09-2013, 01:15 AM

5,281 posts, read 6,591,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BellevueNative View Post
It's 1:30 am in L.A. too. In fact, it is in most places.
Most cities I've been to on the East Coast serve drinks much later. But yes I hear the entire West Coast tends to have early last calls
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area