Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2013, 03:08 AM

110 posts, read 202,214 times

Advertisements

- Persistent airplane noise. I'm currently in Capitol Hill, and my goodness those low flying planes roaring up 75 decibels is just maddening(not to mention dangerous to ones health with the noxious fumes). The noise isn't as bad up north from Ballard to Lake City, but it's still an annoyance. Western half of Shoreline is bearable, but I didn't move up here to seclude myself in cartopia suburbia. Plus if Id leave the west Shoreline quiet zone, Id have to deal with the plane noise. Other than that I really like Seattle ,but the plane noise just ruins it all. Off to a place with quieter skies I will go.

- Many of the roads are very anti-pedestrian with lots of cars roaring by loudly and dangerously. Walking from Capitol Hill to Downtown areas is like running the gauntlet with auto noise and fumes assaulting me. It's only 1.2 miles from the Whole Foods on Westlake to E Capitol Hill, but the distance feels much farther due to the many unwelcoming streets.

- It's hard finding reasonably priced casual eateries than sell healthy and tasty food. If you want say a decent sale with local ingredients, you have to expect to pay around 12 bucks plus tax plus tip. I just end up eating at the mediocre salad and hot food bar at Whole Foods and end up paying 6 to 7 bucks for a decent sized somewhat healthy meal.

- many Seattlites get really defensive at the slightest complaints about the city, but they are quick to complain about the crappiness of other places like cities in CA, Portland, conservative areas or places with serious socioeconomic issues.

I've tried looking for the sweet spot location with not too many compromises, but it feels as if I'm trying to force a cube in a round hole.

Last edited by ladderoflocus; 09-26-2013 at 03:18 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2013, 06:54 AM

110 posts, read 202,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadHadder View Post
Everything. I moved here a month ago and I'm already planning to return to NY. It's rained almost every week since I moved here and it's been 75 and sunny in NY! What happened to the "perfect Septembers in Seattle" everyone talks about??

Oh and the staring problem is ridiculous. People look like the children on Village of the Damned. Then when you actually smile or say something to them, they act like you don't exist. What the hell is up with this place?!! GRRR!! And I can't get an actual boy to talk to me! Double GRRRR!! I'm done with this Seattle, siyonara!!
Perhaps they are in awe of your beauty and are speechless?

Old 09-26-2013, 07:33 PM

4 posts, read 5,380 times
We have lived in Seattle metro for 5 yrs now. We are trying to move the heck out of here. Our only real complaint is the overcast, gray skies. It gets to you! Don't really enjoy 'Seattle proper' much; not 'user friendly'. The Vancouver/Portland area is awesome though! It has the 4 seasons, but there are just considerably less 'gray days' than here. Plus there are lots to do. I started out there as a 20-something and loved it. Now in the 40-something with kids we still love it! You might think that overcast gray skies won't bother you; but it probably will more than you think.

Old 09-27-2013, 03:40 PM

12,843 posts, read 9,573,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poor&Dangerous View Post
like i said, nobody looks down on people of german, english, etc, heritage
most people look down on people of color
They used to look down on the IRish. Can we stop with the racial stuff? Seattle is 14% Asian.

Old 09-27-2013, 10:00 PM

1 posts, read 1,563 times
Things I don't like -
Out of town transplants who move here and then whine and moan because it isn't like back home. Of course it isn't. If you liked it there so much, go back.

There's no point whining about the rain. It won't change it.
Traffic stinks. Whining won't change it.
If you can see Mount Rainier, you know it's a nice day.
If you expect all the "locals" to camp on your porch, bring you casseroles and beg you to come over to their house, you'll be miserable.
If you enjoy outdoor activities or are interested in finding out if you do, are self confident enough to go out and have fun without a posse trailing you like ducks, don't need "instant best friends", you'll probably like it just fine.

People here are very nice. They do tend to be a bit Germanic or Scandinavian in outlook. If you've ever lived in Europe, or had European friends from the region, that probably makes sense. There's no negative assumption when you meet someone, but neither is there the expectation that you'll immediately become best friends. There's a reason for Du and Sie in German. It isn't that you dislike them. It's more a willingness to allow the possibility of friendship to develop. It isn't necessarily wrong to do it that way - the counterpart to "Seattle people are cold" would be "People expecting instant friendship are shallow"

Last edited by WASTATER; 09-27-2013 at 10:30 PM..

Old 09-27-2013, 10:01 PM

12,843 posts, read 9,573,647 times
Wow, Christians, you guys sure are judgemental. Live and let live please.

Old 09-27-2013, 11:12 PM

133 posts, read 253,187 times
Default Don't like

Quote:
Originally Posted by WASTATER View Post
Things I don't like - Out of town transplants who move here and then whine and moan because it isn't like back home. Of course it isn't. If you liked it there so much, go back.
I don't like kids telling me I can't gripe on Seattle because I'm an out-of-state transplant. Sorry, I have a big frame of mind. States are not countries. WA is a state of the republic where I was born so why would it be off limits to criticism. Get on my level ***.

Once I vented to a Rite Aide manager about the excessive security at a Rainier store, e.g., sound alert for deodorant products. That's right, deodorant y'all! *It's sick being treated like a threat everywhere, everyday in Seattle because I'm young and black. One day I might crack and become a real threat.* As I was venting, a stranger in line says - You can't gripe about a city you weren't born in. How did he know where I was born? I don't have an accent so he was another stereotyping a**hole.

This is **** I don't like.

Last edited by Count David; 09-28-2013 at 10:49 PM.. Reason: profane

Old 09-28-2013, 12:08 AM

7,743 posts, read 15,874,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west seattle gal View Post
The PNW is beautiful, but a road trip will take me to more of the same or dessert.
Well now, who can complain about taking a drive out to get desserts?

Old 09-28-2013, 01:13 AM

474 posts, read 1,455,845 times
My favorite posts: reading about people who plan on leaving due to general befuddlement. Can you let us know if you have a cool house in the city? 'Cause I'm in the market and have no desire to live anywhere else.

Old 09-28-2013, 11:53 AM

7,934 posts, read 8,593,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyDawg View Post
My favorite posts: reading about people who plan on leaving due to general befuddlement. Can you let us know if you have a cool house in the city? 'Cause I'm in the market and have no desire to live anywhere else.
I admire your devotion to this place, although not sure I understand it. Seattle is okay. Lacks personality IMO compared to some of the other "name brand" cities.

And i disagree with the notion that there are too many people here. Too many people who rely solely on their automobile for transportation perhaps, but its not their fault Seattle never built a proper train system like NY or Chicago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area