Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2014, 01:55 PM

1,314 posts, read 2,055,419 times

Advertisements

Now that I've been here about a year and a half, I can firmly express my intense dislike of the Seattle public school system. I was warned and didn't believe it could be as bad as it is, but it's bad. So happy we're getting out of it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2014, 09:16 PM

731 posts, read 936,205 times
Weather, High cost of living, traffic, can't swim in the super cold water.... After 45 years I want to move away. It's all getting worse.

Traffic will be VERY relative to you if you would like to live in an affordable suburb. We have busses. They sit in traffic too.

Old 03-31-2014, 12:13 AM

1,950 posts, read 3,528,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelenogirl View Post
Now that I've been here about a year and a half, I can firmly express my intense dislike of the Seattle public school system. I was warned and didn't believe it could be as bad as it is, but it's bad. So happy we're getting out of it!
We have had a wonderful experience for 4 years now. Our kid was fortunate to gain enrollment in an option school, though. Additionally, out kiddo doesn't have any special needs.

Old 03-31-2014, 10:33 AM

1,314 posts, read 2,055,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west seattle gal View Post
We have had a wonderful experience for 4 years now. Our kid was fortunate to gain enrollment in an option school, though. Additionally, out kiddo doesn't have any special needs.
That's awesome! Always great to hear a positive counterpoint.

Old 03-31-2014, 11:11 AM

8,171 posts, read 8,307,797 times
I hate all the ethical people, that business actually gets done based on a handshake. No sport when people aren't trying to rip me off.

Old 03-31-2014, 12:57 PM

588 posts, read 1,015,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacite View Post
I love these. On every board there is a contingent that will claim:

"It's not the place, it's you."

"Happy people are happy everywhere."

"Sounds like your attitude created your reality."

No, some places just suck for some people. Fairbanks Alaska would suck for me. And that's about as far as the analysis has to go.
I agree 100%. But that wasn't the discussion you are quoting. It wasn't just that it was a bad fit, it was that Seattle was a horrible place, and the people there are horrible, and that was that. In that case, I disagree 100%. Maybe you misunderstood what I was saying.

Old 04-26-2014, 02:06 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,850,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DP79 View Post
There are absolutely no black or Hispanic people, if that's what you're asking. It's kinda like living in a JCPenney commercial where someone throws in the occasional Asian to keep it "multicultural".
Wow, so guess one can't expect to find any decent Mexican or Soul food in Seattle,right?

Old 04-26-2014, 02:26 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,850,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by liberal8 View Post
+1.
BTW I just don't get why folks keep complaining about the climate, rain etc.?? It's a climate which corresponds to the latitude - check out cities in Western Europe on the same latitude, like Zurich - they have even less sunshine. Other than folks here not familiar with latitude concept I can't seem to understand all this constant whining about grey sky and rain.
And what so great about NYC anyway? Manhattan is a cool place created by super rich FOR super rich, OK, but the rest of the place is a dump where servants of the super rich live. You like cultural aspects? Take a plane 1-2 times a year, enjoy the opera, museums and come back - nobody's doing this stuff more than twice a year even new yorkers themselves cause they are busy making money to just survive there.

I bolded what I especially think is an excellent point,but agree with your entire post.

Old 04-26-2014, 11:20 AM

9,618 posts, read 27,348,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_love_autumn View Post
Wow, so guess one can't expect to find any decent Mexican or Soul food in Seattle,right?
There's a lot of good places for Mexican food, and an ever increasing number of Hispanics. But they're mostly located in places where well off white folks don't normally tread, places like South Park, Kent, Renton, Burien, and White Center. Somebody from Texas or SoCal might go to one of these Americanized Mexican places in the north end or eastside and decide that Mexican food here sucks, but they just haven't done enough exploring.
Kingfish Cafe on Capitol Hill is good soul food. They don't have a lot of competition...Soul Kitchen in Tacoma is good, and there's a take out only place in Skyway called the Angel City Deli, with delicious oxtail, catfish, and collard greens.

Old 04-26-2014, 06:30 PM

15 posts, read 22,209 times
Bad weather, too long delay of road construction, and clean, convenient but too short light rail line.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area