Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2014, 07:35 PM

534 posts, read 3,112,115 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poor&Dangerous View Post
Interested in negatives.
Inversion. Traps all the bad air in at night from 10pm to 4am. Stagnant bad air from Oct-April
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2014, 05:21 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,849,040 times
Besides the 8-9 months of dreary drizzle... the risk of soil liquefaction from an earthquake!

Northwest States Mapping Liquefaction Susceptibility » News » OPB

Old 05-25-2014, 01:10 PM

Location: On earth currently. i expect ill move around on it quite a lot before im through.
7 posts, read 10,619 times
Im in seattle rt now and the 5 days ive been here and driving all around seattle and on main highways not once have i ever thought about how "bad traffic" is. Its just not a thing here tho the local sure do ***** about it a lot. Most of them should get out more often anyways. Come to chicago and even rockford illinois then talk to me about "bad traffic". That goes for the weather too. Buncha ****** out here.

Last edited by Count David; 05-26-2014 at 04:44 PM.. Reason: language

Old 05-25-2014, 03:14 PM

Location: On earth currently. i expect ill move around on it quite a lot before im through.
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingsaucermom View Post
Cost. of. living.... far away from family.. and most of the country for that matter... impossible to find direct flight to Mexico City (visit the in-laws). Personally I would like a little more snow each winter, but that's getting really petty.
Yeah, that sounds about rt. It feels very far away from everything else here. For someone who's not a native it feels lonely and dullish if your from chicago or nyc or anywhere w a sense of community. It is very scandinavian and stoick and quietly racist. The hipsters dont want to be identified w it. The hipsters here are like our emo kids in the west but w a bit of a different class of douchery. It makes me miss Chicago where people are friendly and talk straight. Cant get a real answer out of anyone here to save my life so far.

Old 05-26-2014, 10:38 PM

If youre from chicago or any place like that or california youll be most comfortable w west seattle, tukquila and tacoma. Talked to a few people who moved from california and they suggested these areas since they feel most comfortable.

Old 05-26-2014, 10:44 PM

Should mention ive not been everywhere in seattle yet but started w the most big city areas first hence the bad first impression. Its deffinitly a diffrent place but not one i wouldnt recomend exploring for yourself since it is all reletive to the person and how well you explore. Put it on fm89.5 if you ever come and explore.

Old 05-31-2014, 09:05 PM

854 posts, read 1,141,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RotseCherut View Post
Things I don't like about Seattle
1. People are cold, shy, introverted, cliquish, overly-sensitive and distant. This isn't to say they are rude or mean, but they are easily offended and a bit snooty. Also, people are quite passive aggressive and will give you the evil eye and make you try to figure out what you did wrong for the smallest offenses.

2. Poorly designed street system, with many weird shaped intersections, including 10-way intersections with no lights, but only stop signs, that are very accident prone.

3. Heavy traffic. I cannot say it is the worst I have seen. Seattle is a very compact and overcrowded city, so it is bound to have a lot of heavy traffic. The bridges, constant heavy construction and loads of high rises concentration in the city center and surrounding neighborhoods only will add to even more of the congestion.

4. Rains/Cloudy all the time .. Being from Oregon, I am use to the rain, but this is a negative to all the outsiders. Many, don't realize what a constant overcast sky feels like until they spent a Spring here. Yeah, contrary to what many people think, it is not Winter that makes people go made here, it is when March, April and May come around and you still haven't seen the sun for more than 1 or 2 days in a month.

5. Poor Dating Scene for Men (A positive for women). I'm not really involved in the dating scene, but I can see how bad it is for men here. I've attended certain functions and groups and when there is a pretty girl in the room, she is horded by groups of lonely, desperate, overworked men for attention. This city is in no doubt, a high tech, workaholic, nerdy city and there is an overabundance of successful, desperate and overworked men desperate for love. It appears men do outnumber women, as more jobs in the city are dominated by men. Seattle does feel like a man's city. The women here also seem extremely serious, very feministic and cold. They are not very approachable.

6. Bad City For Religious or Cultural/Ethnic People. Outside of the Islamic neighborhood in Rainier Beach, the city does lack any type of culture , religious or ethnic communities. There may be some Russians living on the outskirts, but they really keep to themselves and are not visible. Also, Seattle is what I would call an Institutionalized Secular city, where having a religion is considered badly. Basically, if people see you are religious or follow a strict culture that doesn't coincide with their liberal, hipster, new agey, atheistic way of life, they will shun you and treat you like you an outsider or a threat. Contrary to what many people think, people in Seattle are not so open-minded. Rather, they have formed a religion and culture of their own, which only people who follow it will be accepted. I would say it is not all that different than the mentality you may find in the Bible Belt in the Deep South, but on the other end of the spectrum.

7. Very Expensive. Everything costs you more in Seattle. The living costs are going up and up, but the wages are not, as more and more people flock to the city. I paid $350 to heat my 900 sq ft duplex this Winter and it hardly went below freezing, was above 40F most of the year and I only keep my place at 70F. The reason being is that Puget Sound Energy charges more for kw/h. THat is just one of many examples of how much more things cost to live in the Puget Sound. Living in the city limits of Seattle, you can hardly find any apartment that is affordable, even in the crappiest of neighborhoods now.
Says someone who has never actually been to the south. Weren't you arguing a few weeks ago about how friendly people were in Washington? Now you are saying they are snooty and passive aggressive? Pretty much exactly what you were saying they weren't just a few weeks ago. What changed you opinion so quickly?

Old 05-31-2014, 09:07 PM

854 posts, read 1,141,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris View Post
Inversion. Traps all the bad air in at night from 10pm to 4am. Stagnant bad air from Oct-April
Yeah inversion is the worst thing about the Pacific Northwest climate IMO. No sun for months on end.

Old 06-25-2014, 05:30 PM

3,533 posts, read 5,832,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bad apples View Post
Says someone who has never actually been to the south. Weren't you arguing a few weeks ago about how friendly people were in Washington? Now you are saying they are snooty and passive aggressive? Pretty much exactly what you were saying they weren't just a few weeks ago. What changed you opinion so quickly?
That post is over a year old.. I never thought Washington people were overly friendly, but I find them to be polite and not aggressive or mean like some people in other parts of the country. In Idaho, people were friendlier, but I found them overall to be more hot-headed, unpredictable and arrogant.

Yeah people in Seattle are a bit snooty in certain areas, like Capitol Hill, but after a trip to Vancouver, BC , I now actually find people in Seattle to be considerably more friendly overall to other parts of the continent.

Anyhow, it is an old post. I'm not the only one who feels like that people in the Northwest, esp Washington are distant and cold, so why get bent out of shape over it? As you can see, I wrote that people in Seattle are not rude and mean, but I am just sharing my feelings of their reserved, humorless and a bit passive personalities that can be disconcerting for some people. I am now getting use to it and trying to work around this cultural trait.

You take the good with the bad.

Old 06-26-2014, 08:24 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechTechGod View Post
If youre from chicago or any place like that or california youll be most comfortable w west seattle, tukquila and tacoma. Talked to a few people who moved from california and they suggested these areas since they feel most comfortable.
CA is a big state and it depends on what part you come from. My area of Sammamish is probably 75% former CA residents and I know several in Issaquah Highlands and Klahanie. Most are from the Bay Area, others from the suburbs in southern CA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area