Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2014, 06:08 PM

28,670 posts, read 18,788,917 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
I have had a gun aimed point blank at my chest. I have had a knife put to my neck. Very traumatic. I was unable to respond to these situations. Even if I was armed I could not have done anything to protect myself. I was quite unhappy that I had to turn over my personal property in one instance and watch while 3 giuys beat my friend to a pulp over a prior dispute. However, if I could have I would have responded to both of these incidents. In this world I have learned that criminals are armed and have no problem in taking my life. If I have to chance to take theirs in a situation that I did not cause to be, so be it.
Well, let's see.

I was mugged at gunpoint twice in 72 hours in DC. The first guy shot at me and missed. The second guy got a grip on me, pushed his the barrel of his cheap FIE .32 (or .25--I didn't get that good a look at it) into my right kidney, pulled the trigger...and his cheap pistol jammed.

I've been shot at and missed a couple of other times, and had guns pointed at me a few more times than that, especially if you count the time we got surrounded by NPA Communist rebels in a Philippine jungle (during the course of my 26 years of active military service).

That's the reason I don't do paintball.

But I still don't have an urge to escalate a confrontation with a common jerk into an opportunity to shoot him.

Old 02-09-2014, 07:07 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,128,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
quote from Springhillian "I have had a gun aimed point blank at my chest. I have had a knife put to my neck".
thats why you think this way. I have been shot at, but I dont think everybody is going to shoot me,,, and I am very aware of my surroundings and will MOVE away from anything that be comfrontational,,, MY pride is not keeping me from moving away from the problem..
You are an absolute saint. Good for you! I dont know what this has to with Reeves stopping a physical attack that was quickly escalating.

Old 02-09-2014, 07:12 PM

Yeah. Great. You should have told that to Oulsen. Maybe he would have been less apt to do what he did. Oulsen made a mistake. A couple of them.

Reeves did what he had to do. I am quite confident that he was not looking for an opportunity so shoot, but had no choice since his well being was at stake.

This incident should be a warning to punks with big egos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Well, let's see.

I was mugged at gunpoint twice in 72 hours in DC. The first guy shot at me and missed. The second guy got a grip on me, pushed his the barrel of his cheap FIE .32 (or .25--I didn't get that good a look at it) into my right kidney, pulled the trigger...and his cheap pistol jammed.

I've been shot at and missed a couple of other times, and had guns pointed at me a few more times than that, especially if you count the time we got surrounded by NPA Communist rebels in a Philippine jungle (during the course of my 26 years of active military service).

That's the reason I don't do paintball.

But I still don't have an urge to escalate a confrontation with a common jerk into an opportunity to shoot him.

Old 02-09-2014, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatNEWTHOUGHTguy View Post
Its Florida! Haven't you heard? You can shoot anybody at any time and damn near get away with it if you are "standing your ground." The state makes it EASY for people to settle disputes with a gun.
There is no SYG issue here. It was a matter of self defense.

Old 02-09-2014, 07:23 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,671,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Apparently you missed the little bit about how Reeves was sitting in his chair and the dead guy was turned around, standing, and confronting him, grabbing at him, and tossing stuff at him. You're correct: Oulson was a common jerk.

Old 02-09-2014, 07:25 PM

1,400 posts, read 1,577,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
Yeah. Great. You should have told that to Oulsen. Maybe he would have been less apt to do what he did. Oulsen made a mistake. A couple of them.

Reeves did what he had to do. I am quite confident that he was not looking for an opportunity so shoot, but had no choice since his well being was at stake.

This incident should be a warning to punks with big egos.
You bet he did. He should've used every bit of that 6'4" frame and buried his fist and drove that old coward's glasses about 1" into his eye socket. He might have got some probation, but he would be alive today.

Old 02-09-2014, 07:26 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,745,966 times
"Choose your battles" is what I always have thought was a very wise sentence and advise.

If weed will be legalized in Florida then we will get even more nut cases walking around and not having a clue what they are doing.

I have in the back of my mind that people can be in prescription drugs, alcohol, drugs and/or having anger management issues.

We come across a lot of bi-polar type of people in our property management field and a lot of people who don't have connected brain cells and /or no common sense.

Is it worth to get into any verbal fight...heck no! Because people can get very weird and later regret it but in this case one party can regret it but isn't a live to realize it.

Old 02-09-2014, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bannedontherun View Post
You bet he did. He should've used every bit of that 6'4" frame and buried his fist and drove that old coward's glasses about 1" into his eye socket. He might have got some probation, but he would be alive today.
Violence instead of violence. Smart.

Old 02-09-2014, 07:30 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,745,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bannedontherun View Post
He better get a new lawyer...Escobar is certainly no O'Meara or Baez. The Judge has severely scolded him twice already. Once for starting just about question of State's witnesses with "Remember" or "Keep in mind you're under oath" and the State quickly pointed out, they don't have to be constantly reminded they took and oath before their testimony. Win for the State.

Second scolding was Escobar repeatedly asks the same already answered questions as to question the believability of State witnesses. The Judge said "You can't keep repeating questions that have clearly already been answered, just because you don't like the answer. Win for the State.
Usually a big shot lawyer will step up to the plate and offer to defend a person like Reeves.

Usually they wait a little bit to see what their chances are....

Oulsen wife is also dealing with a lot of lawyers fees and I got one email from a restaurant that on a specific day they would contribute to her lawyers fees...I wonder if that added people to eat there.

Old 02-09-2014, 07:36 PM

515 posts, read 1,348,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
3. Reeves took things too far, he deserves to be convicted of manslaughter (not murder), however I wonder whether a conservative Pasco jury will agree.
This case will never be decided by a Pasco jury thanks to sheriff Nocco's many detailed, subjective, and prejudicial statements that have been plastered all over the local media. Most of these statements occurred while the crime scene was still being processed and before the investigation was even partially completed. I'm sure Rick Escobar has someone compiling all of these statements and news clippings so he can show that Reeves won't get a fair trial by a Tampa Bay area jury. It will be like the Zimmerman case, with an out of area jury being selected.

I do agree with you that based off of what I've seen, a manslaughter conviction appears appropriate. Second degree murder seems like a bit of a stretch, but if there's additional evidence that hasn't come out in the bond hearings then it's not out of the question.

Either way it doesn't matter. Whether he's convicted of second degree murder or manslaughter he'll still die in prison and the wrongful death lawsuit will take all of his assets that aren't otherwise protected.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay