Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2020, 10:18 AM
JRR

8,181 posts, read 5,689,411 times

Advertisements

Putnam County has now changed their policy for school reopening. Previously, students could remove their masks once they were in the classroom; now they have to keep the masks on whenever social distancing is not possible.

And I heard on the radio this morning that the City of Livingston is now going to require masks in any city buildings.

Both of these are in response to the increase in cases of the virus in the area. Wow, who could have seen this coming!

Old 08-02-2020, 06:57 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,656,073 times
News from channel five Nashville

Every Tennessee county now showing 'unacceptable' rates of COVID-19 transmission

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (WTVF) — And then there were none.

With the latest update Friday from the Tennessee Department of Health, there are now no counties in the Volunteer State with what are considered to be acceptable rates of COVID-19 transmission.

https://www.newschannel5.com/news/ne...9-transmission

Old 08-03-2020, 08:41 AM

16,331 posts, read 10,458,395 times
Every single county? Oh man... Wonder how those who still consider the warnings a hoax will feel when a loved one gets sick. The internet is full of such stories of non-believers who later died or became extremely sick from COVID. How many more need to die needlessly over this belief? Just so tragic.

Old 08-03-2020, 01:06 PM

4,349 posts, read 4,732,031 times
And this is why it won't be gone any time soon.

https://www.wsmv.com/news/nashville-...45e9f0a4c.html

Old 08-03-2020, 01:37 PM
JRR

Quote:
Originally Posted by N.Cal View Post
And this is why it won't be gone any time soon.

https://www.wsmv.com/news/nashville-...45e9f0a4c.html
Yes, stupid people seem determined to drag this out as long as possible.

"We have met the enemy and he is us"

Old 08-04-2020, 06:18 AM

35,131 posts, read 31,412,038 times
There isn't much that can b e done about house parties and such. I'm sure that goes on everywhere.

The bottom line is that there is no effective state leadership at the top. The Lee administration has effectively passed the buck on a mask mandate to local and business leaders. There is no uniform policy on things like bars opening - apparently Nashville allowed it, but Knoxville just shut them all down again. All this does is just move bar business to the next open county over.

More and more people I know are getting it, almost all are older, and almost none frequent bars or gyms, but they do frequent churches. While there is more mask compliance locally, there isn't much distancing, especially among friends and family. I live near a large park that has several large picnic shelters. Those shelters are packed on the weekends and often during the week.

I think that's where the bulk of this stuff is coming from.

Old 08-04-2020, 11:51 AM

16,084 posts, read 21,206,161 times
For the past week there has been a small parking lot carnival at a mostly abandoned shopping center here in Bristol. I get that it's outdoors and that children supposedly are low risk (their parents however are not), but the space is quite small limiting how much social distancing can be done. I don't really understand why the city gov't would allow a permit for this type of activity during a pandemic. Of course these are probably the same leaders who decided it was ok to move the races from Charlotte to Bristol a while back, because we were a 'safer' alternative location. If you are a safer location why would you invite visitors from outside to come in, possibly bringing the virus with them? Makes no sense to me.

Old 08-04-2020, 01:30 PM
JRR

The most frustrating is how we all have been pretty much cast adrift to handle the situation in our own way. No leadership whatsoever.

We need all levels from the top down to stand up, look the country directly in the eye, and say that we have a problem. The virus is not a hoax and has killed over 150,000 of our fellow Americans and is going to kill more. There is no magic bullet that will make it disappear.

But we can manage this if we work together and our lives will all improve. And the first steps are wearing a mask in an appropriate situation, social distancing and hygiene. And although they might be unpopular with some, rules are going to be instigated for the benefit of all.

But from the top to the state level, to the local level, leadership has vanished, for the most part.

We have two candidates locked in a primary battle for a Tennessee Senate seat. What are they spending their time and $ doing? Just spitting at each other about who is the most conservative. Not a word about what they would do to help Tennessee through this virus situation.

And that is my rant for today.

Last edited by JRR; 08-04-2020 at 01:44 PM..

Old 08-04-2020, 01:46 PM

35,131 posts, read 31,412,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
For the past week there has been a small parking lot carnival at a mostly abandoned shopping center here in Bristol. I get that it's outdoors and that children supposedly are low risk (their parents however are not), but the space is quite small limiting how much social distancing can be done. I don't really understand why the city gov't would allow a permit for this type of activity during a pandemic. Of course these are probably the same leaders who decided it was ok to move the races from Charlotte to Bristol a while back, because we were a 'safer' alternative location. If you are a safer location why would you invite visitors from outside to come in, possibly bringing the virus with them? Makes no sense to me.
As bad as this sounds, we need the revenue. Outdoor events like this have a greatly reduced spread risk compared to bars and indoor church services.

Old 08-04-2020, 02:57 PM

16,331 posts, read 10,458,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRR View Post
The most frustrating is how we all have been pretty much cast adrift to handle the situation in our own way. No leadership whatsoever.

We need all levels from the top down to stand up, look the country directly in the eye, and say that we have a problem. The virus is not a hoax and has killed over 150,000 of our fellow Americans and is going to kill more. There is no magic bullet that will make it disappear.

But we can manage this if we work together and our lives will all improve. And the first steps are wearing a mask in an appropriate situation, social distancing and hygiene. And although they might be unpopular with some, rules are going to be instigated for the benefit of all.

But from the top to the state level, to the local level, leadership has vanished, for the most part.

We have two candidates locked in a primary battle for a Tennessee Senate seat. What are they spending their time and $ doing? Just spitting at each other about who is the most conservative. Not a word about what they would do to help Tennessee through this virus situation.

And that is my rant for today.
The politicians first priority seems to be re-election. There was a poster here a while ago who was claiming the majority of people in Tennessee didn't buy the warnings or the need for l masks. I have no doubt that at the time this was true so the leaders are looking at their voters and making decisions based on that. I really wonder what the overall feeling is now as opposed to a month ago in Tennessee. I highly doubt over half still believe that COVID is no big deal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee