Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2017, 02:12 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,481,358 times

Advertisements

I haven't read the whole thread; but, as a woman and someone who has worked in security and the criminal justice field for almost a decade, this bathroom bill is going to make me feel less safe.

Transgender women have been using women's restrooms for years. Hardly any sexual predator has gone through the trouble of dressing up as a woman to sexually assault women in public restrooms. A few years ago, I was using the restroom in a government building during the time San Antonio was debating its own bathroom ordinance. I saw a man with a beard and men's clothing walk out of a stall and wash his hands. It freaked me out. But, the thing is, I couldn't tell if he was a transgender man or a cisgender man. So, now I'm afraid that men who were born as males will exploit this bathroom bill.

I can only imagine that there are going to be a lot of cases of transgender men having the police or security called on them for using the restroom they will be required to use by this law. This law also puts transgender women at risk of being sexually assaulted in men's restrooms just like they are regularly sexually assaulted in men's jails and prisons. And, what does this law do to protect little boys from being molested by men in the men's restroom? Absolutely nothing. Parents should be watching their young children.

If the state really cared about the safety of women and children, they would address the areas where large numbers of rape, statutory rape, and child molestation actually occur. What about the potentially thousands of women who have been sexually assaulted on college campuses? Why not do something about colleges turning a blind eye to this problem? What is Texas going to do to stop teachers from sleeping with and molesting their students? Are they going to ban female teachers from teaching boys and male teachers from teaching girls? Contrary to popular belief, most victims of molestation were molested by someone they knew.

I don't know why conservatives talk about gun control laws and gun-free zones being ineffective because only law-abiding citizens are going to abide by them. Then, how come they believe that a bathroom bill is going to do anything to curb rapists and pedophiles?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2017, 03:55 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,420,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Sorry, no offense but I don't know you personally so I stand by what I said earlier.

And I'm a bit taken aback by your vitriol about Rick Perry and Abbott, to be honest. My gosh, I didn't like Ann Richards and I know people who knew her personally who couldn't STAND her personally or professionally, but I never was as full of venom toward her (or any other politician I can think of - I hold most of them in varying degrees of low esteem) as you apparently are toward Republican politicians.

Oh well. Get outraged, get embarrassed, whatever - I'm just not surprised when politicians of every stripe and color are less than morally or philosophically astute. I think most of them are in it for themselves and their egos. I'm including both Obama and Trump in that statement. And most of their minions.

And I'll repeat my earlier sentiment - I can't believe how ridiculously massive and suddenly of such burning issue this whole transgender bathroom thing has become - for less than 1 percent of the population of the US. Personally I'm sick and tired of thinking about other peoples' genitals, sexual practices and sexual identities. Isn't there anything more pressing to, I don't know, try to legislate? Sheeze!
It's not "Republican politicians". I have voted Republican in past and no doubt will do so again. I have been in Texas long enough, and alive long enough, to remember when Texas was a Yellow Dog Democrat state (as in, "He'd vote fer a yeller dog iffen it was a Democrat" - now think for a moment just what that really says about the voter in question, of EITHER party) and when it changed (the party changed out from under the voters, not vice versa, and anyone thinking they're going to turn Texas blue needs to study up on that history VERY hard first).

It is individual people in office that my vitriol is reserved for. I'm neither Republican nor Democrat, preferring the use of my own brain to turning it over to any party, and I judge candidates/office holders and issues on their individual merits or lack thereof. The gentlemen in question have failed abysmally every test put to them in terms of being for the State of Texas rather than for themselves and themselves alone, and some of them clearly never read the Constitution of the United States or just find it an annoying piece of paper that gets in the way of forcing their religion on others or fattening their own pockets and increasing their own power. It's a matter of character.

Old 03-18-2017, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestar2007 View Post
Here we go again. 5th generation Texan, a preacher's daughter (maybe this is what messed you up on religion), lived all around Texas, older than dirt so knows a great number of people. Well guess what THL, there's plenty of us who are also descended from long lines of Texans, lived in various places all over the State and old enough to know a few people. This does not make us experts on everything regarding the State of Texas.

You keep repeating how your two most hated people at the present time (bless your heart, no more Rick Perry as governor around to spew your hatred out on) are trying to shove nonsense down our throats. You conveniently ignore how Obama started all of this by pushing the nonsense down our throats and then of course you ignore how the big frog in the little pond school superintendent thought the cool thing to do was align himself with the cool, hip president and so decided to do some strong arm tactics himself.

Also, I didn't assume anything when I said the majority of the Fort Worth citizens were opposed to the FWISD superintendent's strong arm tactics on this issue. I am surprise an expert such as yourself, who seems to pride herself on staying abreast of such Texas newsworthy events, apparently let this one slip right by. Or is it because the results weren't the outcome you wanted, so stick your head in the sand? But let's just give you the benefit of the doubt and say you are truly unaware of what transpired in Fort Worth. I realize it's easier for you to assume, but seriously, you should look up the archives and see what actually went on in that meeting.

As to your remark "They know that genitals will work to distract the rabble every single time", I believe something to that effect was originally said about Obama when people were wondering what he was really up to when throwing out all the smoke screens and that includes the one such as this bathroom fiasco. I don't believe the term rabble was used, but that's understandable.

As to a statewide vote on this stupid bathroom BS, I can assure you, you do not want that. Talk about blowing your theories (and those of all of your great many people you know) plumb out of the water, well wow. But I know you think differently, so you should petition for a vote.

And finally, what on earth is up with you and your religion remarks? Every time something isn't on par to your thinking, you always manage to drag religion into it and always in a derogatory manner. Dang, that being a preacher's daughter must have really done a number on you. If this issue was about abortion, then yes, I'll agree, some people will use religion in their arguments against it while there will be others who have various reasons to be anti-abortion and religion doesn't enter into it, but for a person such as yourself with a warped view on religion, it's going to only be about religion and you will claim everyone who is anti-abortion is only so because of religion. Again, you will be wrong, but there will be no telling you that. As far as this bathroom stupid crap, it is not about religion at all, it is all about Obama shoving yet another one of his warped agendas down the state's throats and yes, as simple as that.

You sound like one of those people who still believe the Civil War was over slavery. Slavery was an issue of course, but the war was fought over states rights and yes, as simple as that.
First, you're responding to something that wasn't said here, I believe.

Second, this is about Texas officials, not former President Obama. Nice try at deflection, though that technique has become very obvious since President Trump made it his go to when he gets busted for anything. "Look! Over there! A corrupt butterfly! Or a butterfly anyway - I'll call it corrupt and you'll be distracted from whatever I've done wrong this time and believe me, because you always do!"

Third, as far as religion is concerned, since the facts and the statistics do not support any claim that this bill has ANYTHING to do with safety, quite the opposite, and since anything to do with sex always goes back to religion, there's your answer there.

Fourth, of course I know that the causes of the War Between the States were much more complex than slavery. I've known that since I was a child (though I was 40 before I realized the true significance of the difference in names for the War held by North and South, blatantly obvious though it was once I realized it - it spells out clearly what the rock bottom cause was but somehow, already knowing that, I didn't see it).

Old 03-18-2017, 04:03 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,952,048 times
I don't think this is a religious issue. I'd bet good money more Christians are in favor of transgendered restroom rights than are Muslims, Hindus or many other religions.

Old 03-18-2017, 04:12 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,977,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
It's not "Republican politicians". I have voted Republican in past and no doubt will do so again. I have been in Texas long enough, and alive long enough, to remember when Texas was a Yellow Dog Democrat state (as in, "He'd vote fer a yeller dog iffen it was a Democrat" - now think for a moment just what that really says about the voter in question, of EITHER party) and when it changed (the party changed out from under the voters, not vice versa, and anyone thinking they're going to turn Texas blue needs to study up on that history VERY hard first).

It is individual people in office that my vitriol is reserved for. I'm neither Republican nor Democrat, preferring the use of my own brain to turning it over to any party, and I judge candidates/office holders and issues on their individual merits or lack thereof. The gentlemen in question have failed abysmally every test put to them in terms of being for the State of Texas rather than for themselves and themselves alone, and some of them clearly never read the Constitution of the United States or just find it an annoying piece of paper that gets in the way of forcing their religion on others or fattening their own pockets and increasing their own power. It's a matter of character.
It's a matter of opinion and personal belief systems.

Old 03-18-2017, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
It's a matter of opinion and personal belief systems.
Nope. In the case of those two gentlemen, it's a matter of character. Opinion and personal belief systems I have no problem with even if I disagree with them, as long as the person who has vowed to uphold the Constitution of the United States as part of the position they were elected to does that and doesn't try to legislate their personal belief systems on everyone else. Whatever those might be, by the way. Both Abbott and Perry forgot (or never accepted) that they represent ALL of the citizens of Texas, not just those that agree with them. That speaks to character.

Old 03-18-2017, 06:05 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,017,051 times
I can't stress this enough. Bathrooms are segregated by SEX not gender. A trans woman can pass for a female all they want, they're still biologically male. I think Texas is trying to affirm that you can't change your biological sex no matter how much cosmetic surgery, hormone replacement therapy and identifying as female you do. Second the federal govt has no business telling Texas what to do if the majoroty don't want give in. Trans theory with its confusions over sex/gender, it's ever changing brain sex science to prop it up, and claims that even biological sex is a social construct is slowly revealing itself to be lacking in scientific evidence.

Old 03-18-2017, 06:13 PM

4,422 posts, read 6,262,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
I can't stress this enough. Bathrooms are segregated by SEX not gender. A trans woman can pass for a female all they want, they're still biologically male. I think Texas is trying to affirm that you can't change your biological sex no matter how much cosmetic surgery, hormone replacement therapy and identifying as female you do. Second the federal govt has no business telling Texas what to do if the majoroty don't want give in. Trans theory with its confusions over sex/gender, it's ever changing brain sex science to prop it up, and claims that even biological sex is a social construct is slowly revealing itself to be lacking in scientific evidence.
Right. Let's vote on civil rights of others.

Old 03-18-2017, 06:16 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,017,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewtexan View Post
Right. Let's vote on civil rights of others.
It's not a civil rights issue.

Old 03-18-2017, 06:56 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,576,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
I don't think this is a religious issue. I'd bet good money more Christians are in favor of transgendered restroom rights than are Muslims, Hindus or many other religions.
You'd lose that bet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas