Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2022, 10:17 PM

3,231 posts, read 4,563,204 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
I was in high school in 2014. For some reason I thought I remembered seeing that location further back.

Buc-Ee’s has been shifting their headquarters operations to Pearland for a few years now, BobTex is right.

The Lake Jackson location is smaller than Katy, Baytown but it’s still large enough to be one of their super stores. Not all of their “travel centers” are as big as those Katy sized. It’s also their only store that has a full service coffee bar with baristas.
I grew up in Lake Jackson, went to school with Beaver Aplins daughter, and lived in the same neighborhood that Beaver still lives in before we moved to Katy. Their headquarters are not shifting to Pearland, lol. They do have a corporate office in Pearland town center though.

Yes, they have The Beanery drive thru coffee shop at the “big Bucees” there, but there’s only one entrance to the store and the square footage is similar to what you would find at a Timewise/any decent sized non bucees convenient stores along the highway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2022, 09:20 PM

33,322 posts, read 12,511,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I know why there are no HEBs in NE Texas - it's because Brookshires main office is here and there's a sort of "gentleman's agreement" between HEB and Brookshires that they won't build or open stores in the other's "territory."

Tons of Brookshires and Super Ones and Fresh Markets here though.
I think you're right ^^^^^, with one possible exception. There is an HEB in Carthage.

Old 04-11-2022, 12:20 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,886,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSoulYoungSpirit View Post
Unpopular opinion: Buc-ee's is just a glorified gas station, and severely overrated.

I used to go to Buc-ee's regularly, but quit going to any of the locations close-ish to my house because the employees had very unfriendly attitudes every time I'd shop and buy there - and this was before the pandemic. Yes, it's a (glorified) gas station, I'm not looking for 5-star service, but I'm also not looking for staff who seemingly, consistently hate their lives.

Several of my colleagues at work - who, unlike me, are Texas natives - have had similar complaints about employees being argumentative and even outright rude, either toward them or other customers.

Their lackadaisical approaches to masks for employees and customers during the pandemic, while having stores as crowded as ever, sealed the deal for me two years ago.

Now, I only visit on rare occasion to fuel up and get a car wash. That's it. Otherwise, stores with Czech surnames (e.g., Prasek's in Sealy, Hruska's in Ellinger) make for much better stops during road trips across this state!

I just hope the new Buc-ee's stores in states like Alabama and Kentucky are better for travelers than what I've experienced here in Texas.
So which Buc-ees have you visited?

I'm asking because I haven't had that experience at all at the Buc-ees outside of Austin (I think north?) and in the DFW area.

Old 04-11-2022, 12:27 PM

9,862 posts, read 6,579,684 times
I second Kathryn in never having experienced rude employees at a Buc Ee’s. I have experienced certain flaws but rude employees isn’t one of them.

With that said, the quality of Buc-Ee’s will go down unfortunately by the laws of nature. When a business sees rapid expansion, the small time charm starts to leave and the cost cutting and supply chain rules start rolling in. I already notice The fried chicken has changed. With Buc-Ee’s is about to be in what? 10 states and more to come. Yeah it won’t be the same Texas exclusive charm that once existed.

I very much agree on Buc Ee’s being overrated just like I think about Whataburger. But for Buc-Ee’s case it’s not just a glorified gas station. Where else do you have an on site bakery?

Old 04-11-2022, 12:29 PM

18,127 posts, read 25,275,129 times
Quote:
Unpopular opinion: Buc-ee's is just a glorified gas station, and severely overrated.
Agree
on my recent trip from Houston to DC, I started stopping at Love's and they are great gas stations.

Old 04-12-2022, 05:46 AM

4,754 posts, read 2,974,368 times
Quote:
I'm referring to west Houston area locations, primarily. Katy and Waller are the mega-sized locations I'm most familiar with. Richmond, Eagle Lake and NW Houston (290) are the smaller locations I'm most familiar with.

The Katy location (I-10 @ Cane Island Parkway) has always been particularly awful about staff attitudes, in my experience. This is the location that I'm referencing most strongly, and referencing in regard to my coworkers' complaints.

I've also stopped at the Baytown, Madisonville and Luling mega-sized locations on multiple occasions in the past.

I've rarely frequented Buc-ee's since late 2019/early 2020.
Although I have never had a bad experience at Bucees and never cared about their pandemic policies (as in there were none), it makes sense the Katy location gave you this vibe over all the others.

Their Katy location is easily the most well-to-do suburban store they have, so they likely hire a lot of bratty teens from the local area that dont want to be there and/or havent received the best training on how to treat people on the job.

I bet the turnover rate in Katy is higher than probably their other locations, but definitely rural/semirural ones.

Old 04-12-2022, 06:25 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,886,374 times
Quote:
I'm referring to west Houston area locations, primarily. Katy and Waller are the mega-sized locations I'm most familiar with. Richmond, Eagle Lake and NW Houston (290) are the smaller locations I'm most familiar with.

The Katy location (I-10 @ Cane Island Parkway) has always been particularly awful about staff attitudes, in my experience. This is the location that I'm referencing most strongly, and referencing in regard to my coworkers' complaints.

I've also stopped at the Baytown, Madisonville and Luling mega-sized locations on multiple occasions in the past.

I've rarely frequented Buc-ee's since late 2019/early 2020.
Interesting. I've never experienced anything negative at a Buc-ees.

I stop at the one outside Dallas all the time.

Old 04-12-2022, 08:37 AM

3,266 posts, read 5,630,984 times
[quote=KathrynAragon;63252081]Interesting. I've never experienced anything negative at a Buc-ees./QUOTE]

I'll agree with this. My most frequent stop is in Baytown area and only complaint is how poor the road access is due to heavy traffic. Also have been to many of the Hill country and the Madisonville outlets. They held high standards of customer service IMO.

Old 04-13-2022, 07:17 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,448,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
I second Kathryn in never having experienced rude employees at a Buc Ee’s. I have experienced certain flaws but rude employees isn’t one of them.

With that said, the quality of Buc-Ee’s will go down unfortunately by the laws of nature. When a business sees rapid expansion, the small time charm starts to leave and the cost cutting and supply chain rules start rolling in. I already notice The fried chicken has changed. With Buc-Ee’s is about to be in what? 10 states and more to come. Yeah it won’t be the same Texas exclusive charm that once existed.

I very much agree on Buc Ee’s being overrated just like I think about Whataburger. But for Buc-Ee’s case it’s not just a glorified gas station. Where else do you have an on site bakery?
Buc-ees is great for road trips, but if you live far from the interstate and don't have the smaller neighborhood Buc-ees, you'll end up pumping at other places such as Kroger, Costco, and traditional branded gas stations because of the convenience. (Savings would be wiped out if you have to go out of the way to pump at Buc-ees!)

Old 01-21-2023, 01:01 PM

9,862 posts, read 6,579,684 times
Wawa is planning a Buc-Ee’s like concept

https://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news...3477677/?amp=1
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas