Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2011, 09:27 AM

965 posts, read 1,888,265 times

Advertisements

Chicago. /End Thread
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2011, 09:55 AM

3,059 posts, read 8,293,443 times
I guess it all depends on what you are looking for. Quality of life? In this (hot off the press!) Toronto ranks well above NYC.

This is interesting City Mayors: Best cities in the world (Mercer)

Fact is, it is mostly subjective and we could debate it forever

Old 11-30-2011, 10:18 AM

1,085 posts, read 1,771,582 times
Toronto is like Chicago, except with very little crime.

Old 11-30-2011, 10:27 AM

3,878 posts, read 5,302,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshineleith View Post
I guess it all depends on what you are looking for. Quality of life? In this (hot off the press!) Toronto ranks well above NYC.

This is interesting City Mayors: Best cities in the world (Mercer)

Fact is, it is mostly subjective and we could debate it forever
Your last sentence pretty much sums it up, this is completely subjective. How a site like Mercer (as reputable a company it is) can measure something like QOL has always been lost on me.

Every major city in the "First world" offers a high standard of living as long as you can make a living.

Old 11-30-2011, 09:20 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,125,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
This is something of an eternal debate here. It is why you often see comments about Toronto lacking personality, character, a culture of its own. Or hear that Montreal has more character than Toronto even though it is smaller, blablabla. And then Torontonians will counter that no one of this is true. And it goes on and on.

I would say that Toronto's diversity is only one factor. An even bigger factor is the fact that Toronto happens to be the metropolis of an entire country whose identity/culture/personality is very diffuse and hard to pin down.

If you look at New York City, for example, it is very diverse as well and it has a much more clearly defined identity and culture than Toronto does.
That's true, I know both New York and Chicago are very diverse but both have very strong identities/a sense of local pride. From speaking to Canadians I get the sense a lot of Canadians don't have as much provincial or city pride as Americans. Except maybe the Quebecois and maybe Newfies. Do you think that's true?

Old 11-30-2011, 10:04 PM

77 posts, read 284,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Toronto almost seems too diverse. Nothing wrong with it, but is there a strong sense of identity in such a transient place?
Quote:
This is something of an eternal debate here. It is why you often see comments about Toronto lacking personality, character, a culture of its own. Or hear that Montreal has more character than Toronto even though it is smaller, blablabla. And then Torontonians will counter that no one of this is true. And it goes on and on.

I would say that Toronto's diversity is only one factor. An even bigger factor is the fact that Toronto happens to be the metropolis of an entire country whose identity/culture/personality is very diffuse and hard to pin down.

If you look at New York City, for example, it is very diverse as well and it has a much more clearly defined identity and culture than Toronto does.
A little story of mine: Just a few days ago I found out something funny. I was driving down to NYC area and everytime I entered each states I was able to see those big signs with their nicknames. "The Empire State" for New York, "State of Independence" for Pennsylvania, and although New Jersey didn't have such sign, New Jersey cars had their plates saying "The Garden State."

Then I stopped by for a break and happened to see my Ontario plate which I never looked closely, and it said "Yours to Discover." I lol'd.

Maybe Toronto and Ontario lacking identity is more official than some of us think?

Old 12-01-2011, 07:14 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,101,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fps7028 View Post
A little story of mine: Just a few days ago I found out something funny. I was driving down to NYC area and everytime I entered each states I was able to see those big signs with their nicknames. "The Empire State" for New York, "State of Independence" for Pennsylvania, and although New Jersey didn't have such sign, New Jersey cars had their plates saying "The Garden State."

Then I stopped by for a break and happened to see my Ontario plate which I never looked closely, and it said "Yours to Discover." I lol'd.

Maybe Toronto and Ontario lacking identity is more official than some of us think?
Do you remember when Ontario plates used to say "keep it beautiful"?

Old 12-01-2011, 08:04 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,101,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
That's true, I know both New York and Chicago are very diverse but both have very strong identities/a sense of local pride. From speaking to Canadians I get the sense a lot of Canadians don't have as much provincial or city pride as Americans. Except maybe the Quebecois and maybe Newfies. Do you think that's true?
These are certainly the two strongest regional cultures in Canada. Newfoundland only joined Canada in 1949 and prior to that was a British colony and even a de facto independent country for a period.

As for Quebec, its identity is very "national" and is not really that dissimilar from that of small countries like Denmark and Sweden. Many Quebecers (even those who are not separatists) tend to view their relationship to the rest of Canada through a "European Union''-type prism. Basically, that Quebec is the real nation or country which then it opts to share a certain number of things with a larger entity called Canada. This last perception is of course a fallacy and inaccurate, as Canada is a far tighter and closer arrangement than the EU, but what can I say - people will think what they want.

Last edited by Acajack; 12-01-2011 at 08:38 AM..

Old 12-01-2011, 08:21 AM

1,726 posts, read 5,866,215 times
"State of Independence" and "Empire State" are meaningless phrases. New York or Pennsylvania no more has a unique "identity" than does Ontario. They are all part of North American English-speaking culture, and they have their own unique attributes in some areas.

Old 12-01-2011, 05:23 PM

77 posts, read 284,643 times
Quote:
Do you remember when Ontario plates used to say "keep it beautiful"?
Just did a little research - I didn't even exist back then. lol

Does that quote have anything to do with history or whatever? Or is it simply telling me to keep the province beautiful?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto