Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2016, 04:54 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,405,340 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
My partner comes from a very large, patriarchal, extremly traditional, religious family and of all the people in the world he married me lol ( a non-religious, free spirited, liberal, feminist that is pretty unconservative and fairly eccentric). We argue and disargree about most things and both of us have strong personalities, but I am able to hold my own ! We have learned to allow each other to explore our own interests separately. Ex he does his religious stuff on his own or with freinds and I do stuff he does not like concerts, festivals, cultural events and theatre on my own. When you have been with someone for a long time it is kind of funny when you suddenly realize you know how to read each other pretty well. Ex I know how to read his facial expressions and can usually tell what he is going to say. The best is when your partners does not speak English as a first language and they say things not exactly correctly in English, but it just seems normal to you until someone asks them to clairify lol .

No offense but that sounds terrible. I would be miserable with a religious person, specially if we argued and disagreed about most things (Your words). There will always be some disagreements, no marriage is perfect, but what you describe doesn't sounds good at all.

Old 05-30-2016, 05:43 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,726,194 times
Default Unpaid ESL Teacher...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Nice post! I can definitely relate to the reading facial expression and just body language in general. If I come home from work and something bad happened I can instantly tell.. No words need to be spoken at all. Same thing with language! I had to laugh when you said others ask to clarify when you just know what he is saying - same thing with my partner. That said, his English skills have improved tremendously because of me. I just need to continue working on the Spanish
I think I have been an unpaid ESL teacher since I was 16 lol. I should start sending invoices for uncompensated services. The sad part of it is that I only learn how to say stupid things. I can copy the accents of anyone I have been in a relationship with though. So if someone if bugging me I can tell them off correctly in a few languages without giving away too much that I only have a slight clue about what they are saying.

Old 05-30-2016, 06:13 PM

Wink ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
No offense but that sounds terrible. I would be miserable with a religious person, specially if we argued and disagreed about most things (Your words). There will always be some disagreements, no marriage is perfect, but what you describe doesn't sounds good at all.
I am a fire sign. I can handle the heat. It is hard and ironic that we are married. I think it is God's way to screw with me . It 100% comes with major challenges, but we have both learned a lot from each other and have a lot of chemistry in other ways. At core we are both people that share certain traits that work together. We fight and love hard. We also spend around 2 months apart each year lol which certainly helps calm the waters. The irony is that I actually need someone around to push back or I would probably get painfully bored. I also don't really like being saturated with someone else. Ex I don't want someone holding my hand every minute and I certainly don't usually need to hide behind anyone. God only gives you what you can handle right ?

It is funny that in so many ways the person I married is so different then the person before...
I was hurt by someone who had no direction, a weak sense of identity, that drank (I think started to use drugs), had a weak sense of loyalty and was scared to be different.

The person I ended up with is very assertive, could give a care what anyone thinks, is not afraid to do things that seem hard to do, does not drink and is very loyal. In my opinion I would rather be with someone who has a strong sense of who they are even if it is not in exact agreement of my personal opinions on every topic. We are so different that we are always exposing each other to new ideas or things.

We also both like to travel even if for different reasons. Ex When we go to Miami for Calle Ocho I go out and have fun all day at the festival and he goes and does stuff that interests him more. This also gives me the freedom to explore life a bit with independence. I find a lot of people hide behind their partner, but the truth is you are not likely to always be with your partner for the rest of your life. Ex One of you will die first or you might just at some part ways. I think in my current relationship I am a reasonably balance between freedom and commitment.

Most importantly ... he did not beat around the bush. We have the same attitude when it comes to what we want ... I see... I want it and go for it. None of this 10 year engagement stuff. Life happens now!

In my opinion if you don't care enough to argue with me .. then maybe you just don't care enough about me lol.

Old 05-30-2016, 06:41 PM

800 posts, read 730,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by visitingthisplanet View Post
I've lived in northern Ontario, Toronto, Nashville, and Houston (plus a few other places not worth mentioning), and I think a city can actually CHANGE the character of those living in it after a while. For example, I brought an American girl from the south up to Toronto with me once, and after a year or two she was walking "eyes down to the ground" and stepping over homeless people lying on grates with the best of them. I've also known Canadian girls who moved to the South and were soon talking slower, calling complete strangers "hon" and "sugar," and otherwise assuming the characteristics of their adopted cities. Other people make a conscious effort to resist assimilating and prefer to retain their "native" characteristics.

I do find it easier to meet new people in the South. It's not that they're necessarily always friendlier (there's a friendly veneer but it can be fake), but they generally ARE more easily-approachable and less reserved, which of course makes it easier to strike-up a conversation. And girls in Texas -- especially outside the larger cities -- can be downright flirtatious and spontaneous, even if they don't know you. I have stories.

But going back to the question of the OP of this thread, I think men in Toronto probably just reflect women in Toronto, and have come to accept and adjust to what women there find appropriate and "normal" -- which is to say, being cautious and reserved. Personally, I think it has something to do with the climate; when everyone down here starts shedding more and more clothes as the summer heat intensifies, it does something to moral inhibitions too.
Another view point from a straight man that experienced several dating scenes.

Old 06-06-2016, 04:57 PM

106 posts, read 336,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Toronto women have a reputation for being cold and standoffish, and wanting a "10" male when they are only a "6".

So that's probably why guys aren't approaching you; they assume they will be rejected.
This! Sorry but men have been conditioned to "behave" and act with severe caution when around the opposite sex. Men are considered stalkers and creeps if they engage a woman. God help us if we physically engage on someone or enter their "air space". Now I've met some mighty fine native Toronto women but a lot tend to be mostly self-centered and slightly obnoxious egomaniacs. It's their personality which makes them unattractive to me!

But people in Toronto mostly kept to themselves (men and women) and there is the natural barrier that is erected then you first meet someone new in this city.

Old 06-06-2016, 06:39 PM

Lightbulb Obnoxious egomaniacs....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shamrock47 View Post
This! Sorry but men have been conditioned to "behave" and act with severe caution when around the opposite sex. Men are considered stalkers and creeps if they engage a woman. God help us if we physically engage on someone or enter their "air space". Now I've met some mighty fine native Toronto women but a lot tend to be mostly

self-centered and slightly obnoxious egomaniacs

. It's their personality which makes them unattractive to me!

But people in Toronto mostly kept to themselves (men and women) and there is the natural barrier that is erected then you first meet someone new in this city.

Re "the self-centered and slightly obnoxious egomaniacs" .... wow have we already met ?

The ironic joke is that the same guys that complain about this type of attitude always run straight to the women in Toronto that act like this... with their designer bags, fancy clothes and the world revolves around me attitude. So those who were not like that and got mistreated or ignored .... well they followed suit because these same women that men complain about always seem to have men running after them like little puppy dogs. These also tend to be the same types of women that guys that do end up with lower maintenance women are quick to ditch their girls for once these types of women pay them a moments notice.

Sorry I have been a female living in this city too long to feel too bad for anyone crying the pretty girl ****** wont talk to me card because while you were chasing after her you likely did not even notice the dozens of less made up down to earth girls because they just were not good enough for you.

Men in this city are no better then women in this city are no less shallow then the women in this city. The only different is men still think it is there right to be this way.

Too bad there is no positive enforcement for women that don't act like that. When men continue to glorify women for "bad behaviour" this is the bi-product.

Old 06-06-2016, 08:30 PM

I got to ask this ... but I see way more people reading stuff by the viewed stats on these threads posted then commenting. Are there just a lot of people out there are just too shy to write something or it is the same people reading this stuff over and over again writing. If you are out there just reading ... share your experiences too. I don't think anyone knows everything on these topics. What are you thinking? Take the stage already !

Old 06-06-2016, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shamrock47 View Post
This! Sorry but men have been conditioned to "behave" and act with severe caution when around the opposite sex. Men are considered stalkers and creeps if they engage a woman. God help us if we physically engage on someone or enter their "air space". Now I've met some mighty fine native Toronto women but a lot tend to be mostly self-centered and slightly obnoxious egomaniacs. It's their personality which makes them unattractive to me!

I generally agree. You do need to cater to these women egos if you want to get in there good graces. God forbid you disagree with them.

That barrier is completely true.

I think for some reason hetero people hold back there feelings especially when it comes to sex.

Having sex is a bad thing if it's not in a monogamous relationship. Lol.

Old 06-06-2016, 09:32 PM

Default Not 100% true...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karassmatic View Post
I generally agree. You do need to cater to these women egos if you want to get in there good graces. God forbid you disagree with them.

That barrier is completely true.

I think for some reason hetero people hold back there feelings especially when it comes to sex.

Having sex is a bad thing if it's not in a monogamous relationship. Lol.
Not really fully true. I think there are growing numbers of women that are enjoy hook ups/ one night stands. But the cards need to be on the table ex you need to make it clear it is just sex. Don't be promising stuff ex dates and a hint to a relationship. If your are more clear no one feels like they are getting played and both people can have fun without any strings attached.

Old 06-06-2016, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
Not really fully true. I think there are growing numbers of women that are enjoy hook ups/ one night stands. But the cards need to be on the table ex you need to make it clear it is just sex. Don't be promising stuff ex dates and a hint to a relationship. If your are more clear no one feels like they are getting played and both people can have fun without any strings attached.
Yeah ok. Lol. It seems women use sex to get to a relationship. If you do not want a relationship sex is generally off the table. I find successful one night stands are just ones where u you get caught in the moment. And not so planned.

Let's face it. If you have sex with no intention of getting in a relationship you are deemed a ****. And no one wants to be labelled a ****.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto