Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2009, 09:39 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,686,254 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairbanks101 View Post
so have they solved all the unsolved murders since i been gone, last year?
The answer is actually yes in many cases. If you kept up with the local news you would know that there has been a substantial increase in arrests and successful prosecutions in the last year both where recent crimes and older cases are concerned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2009, 10:36 AM

530 posts, read 650,050 times
Default OK...no rose colored glasses...lol

I am new to this so i hope i am doing this right. I am currently in school finishing my dotorate nurse practitioner degree. I have read what I i'd like to think is everything i can get my hands on about the usvi. I have a three yr plan which involves moving there. i hope to @ the time of my move to have about $60-90 thousand us dollars saved before my move and no bills back home( should this sufice to get me settled if i decide not to work for 3-6 months?). I have one child who will be 14 at the time of the move(schools, private or public and university). I am irish/ indian decent with white, white skin but i figure a yr of tanning before my trip should sufice right...lol. I am by nature a very laid back person who hates all the hustle and bustle of living in a city. I have decided on St. Croix(mostly for the ease of job and the slower pace) and I have read all the links and post on this sight and many more and there are so many conflicting veiws. I plan on a pre move visit about one yr before I move for about two weeks( is this long enough?) I am currently 32 and this has been my dream for as long as i remember( i grew up in TN where its too hot in the summer and too cold in the winter). I am not racially biased and have dated and befriended almost every race of people on earth. I speak english and spanish and plan on french before I come. I plan to bring my suv with me it is paid for and in great condition. I don't know how to explain it but my heart and soul are calling me there. I know it will not be easy, but it obviously can be done right? I'm not asking you to fluff me up just to see cracks in my plan and help if you can. Thanks for any help you can offer!

Old 05-18-2009, 01:49 PM

286 posts, read 1,082,100 times
Default Understanding the VI

OP,
Here is a brief essay I penned recently about my 1000 day stay in the VI
Hope this insight will answer some of your questions

Part 1

Welcome to St Thomas, America's Paradise.

Crystal clear waters, jewel-like sandy beaches, warm weather and beautuful people beckon.
Come on over, spend a day or a lifetime, you will not forget this experience and I guarantee you this.

WELCOME TO MAXIMUM ISLAND
You will have lizards and flying roaches in your home even though you keep it sealed. Dunno where they come from, maybe thur the sewage and then up the drains in the bathroom and kitchen

Your electric bill will be over $200.00 at a minimum but this will be the least of your worries.

You will experience frequent blackouts on the hottest and most humid still summer nights, especially when your favorite movie or sitcom is about to begin. The power plant here is antiquated and all too frequently grids shut down leaving parts of the island in darkness. Don't bother calling them, you won’t get an answer.

You will meet more rude and obnoxious people in a week than you have in your entire life who will think they are superior to you and always treat you like an outsider.
This is not aloha island. On your arrival, the beautiful girl with flowers will not show up; Instead, they are sending a big burly (and exceedingly rude) taxi driver who hates your guts and loves your money.

You will get poor service in places like banks and utilities.

You will find (or maybe not) normal people an rare and unusual species and so much so that you will instantly want to fall to the ground and worship this wonderful person whom you just met and want to befriend for life.

You will go through the five stages from Anger--to---Acceptance in a few short weeks.

You will live on the beach or just a short ride away but will be so busy making a living that you will never visit one.
You will wait for your tourist friends describe one to you, how they spent the day in crystal waters and satin sandy beaches and you will repeat this story to anyone who asks you which beach is best to go to.

You will wistfully glance at the sky at every passing plane, visualising a load of people going back to that promised land called the United States.

------------------------to be continued

MAXIMUM ISLAND PART 2

Welcome to sunny St Thomas.
It is 85 degrees in the shade and a beautiful day to go to the beach or just shop, have lunch and mingle with the native people.
We hope you have a wonderful time here and take back all the lovely memories back home with you. Thanks for visiting.

Reality check please.
You will meet even more rude, arrogant, blatantly racist and obnoxious people.
You will begin to doubt yourself and your sanity
You will begin to greet every passerby with a smile lest they accuse you of being rude and not liking "black people"
"Him deh don like we black folks yknow"
"Go back home yankee"
Any arguement with a native ends with a "I bawn hare" (I was born here and I am superior to you, Mr outsider. Your are now on my island and will play according to my rules)
Welcome to the bizzare world of the Virgin Islands

Upon arrival, you solemly swear to give up all forms of entertainment unless you are an alcoholic or druggie.
Most stores close at 5pm and the few restaurants at 10pm
There is nothing else to do after this.
Going to the local Kmart is a fun filled Sunday outing and you will witness several families doing just this.
If you go downtown, you are sure to be accosted by sleazy/very scary and definitely dangerous types who will want to sell you crack cocaine or any candy that you desire. And cheap too.
I think $5.00 or maybe $10.00 can purchase a glassine envelope of whatever.
There is a humorous aspect to this though.
Couple of years ago, police arrested (surprise) a vendor, only to find out he was selling baby powder.
So be warned though and do not prepay for your candy.
I have seen many a tourist do exactly this and then stand bewildered on the street corner waiting for candyman who is going to be a no-show.
Young male students are easy prey and you cannot exactly complain to the local police.

------------------------------------------------to be continued

part three

You will begin to look at every newcomer to the island the same way as hardened convicts view incoming prisoners, poor innocent noobs waiting for their indoctrination, blissfully unaware of things to come.

Your thanksgiving trip back home will be short and just a memory. Don't blink.

You will start to fantasize about leaving and will go to bed every night dreaming about your escape from Maximum Island.

It is a cold and crisp autumn day in suburban Pleasantville, USA.
You have just emerged from a hot shower and curled up on your favorite armchair, checking your email on your laptop and browsing the internet.

On the side table, a cup of coffee is busy blowing hot wisps into the air.
There is a thump thump of the washing maching in the adjoining room, an almost reassuring sound that takes you to the farthest, most tranquil place in your mind.

Outside, the autumn leaves are a golden red and there is a group of small kids trying valiantly to throw a yellow ball thru a hoop in the driveway.
You hear a door slam and some coffee spills.

You wake up; you are still in the VI.
It is 7.00am and harsh sunlight is streaming in the room thru the blinds you forgot to shut last night.
The ancient refrigerator is humming, now complaining loudly, imploring you to get up and leave the house.
You step into a tepid shower, grateful for the small trickle that cleanses your body of the perspiration and grime from the day before.
You step out into the brilliant sunshine and overpowering heat, a plastered smile on your face for the neighbors to see, promising yourself that this will be a good one; Another day in paradise.

Your last day.
Everything takes on a surreal dreamlike quality. You are in another place in your mind, it refuses to believe
I promise this will be the most exciting day of your life.
Remember when you were 6 years old and your parents took you to the first carnival ever.
That sweet ball of cotton candy that stuck to your lips. You gazed in wonderment and tried to take in everything all at once.
The first amusement ride, half scary half excited on the best day of your life.
Well fugghetaboutit.
This day is a total eclipse of all you best and most cherished memories.

As the taxi winds its way to the airport, you pass by a sign that says
"THANKS FOR VISITING THE VIRGIN ISLANDS, PLEASE COME AGAIN"

You vaguely remember the long wait in the terminal (you arrived here 3 hours earlier, didn't you, afraid you would miss this flight), you boarding pass clutched in your sweaty palms lest it take on a life of its own and fly away and you wake up, sweaty and damp in the middle of the night.
No, this is not a dream, you are actually leaving.
When the plane takes off, you are clutching onto the seat rests, not looking at the shrinking ground below and praying 'Pleas G~d, let this not be a dream, I promise to believe and pray henceforth"
The plane finally lands and the captain announces that "they will be landing shortly and the weather outside is whatever it is"
You are back in your hometown airport or somewhere else in that great land of ours that we call AMERICA.
Now you know what the hype is al about, don't you.
You are excited but not smiling because you try to mantain this cool demeanor. Of course I survived, it was a breeze, nothing really, no biggie, no great shake.
But inside, your heart is doing cartwheels and your hands are in the air as you dance on the streets to a rush of corny 80's ballads.
You are the star in your own pop-up video.
You get off the jetway, waiting to kiss the ground but too tired to do so.
Instead, you just hail an taxi and tell the driver --------------------------------------

"TAKE ME HOME, --PLEASE"

Old 05-18-2009, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by induhvidual View Post
OP,

Part 1

Crystal clear waters, jewel-like sandy beaches, warm weather and beautuful people beckon.
Come on over, spend a day or a lifetime, you will not forget this experience and I guarantee you this.

You will have lizards and flying roaches in your home even though you keep it sealed. Dunno where they come from, maybe thur the sewage and then up the drains in the bathroom and kitchen

Your electric bill will be over $200.00 at a minimum but this will be the least of your worries.

You will experience frequent blackouts on the hottest and most humid still summer nights, especially when your favorite movie or sitcom is about to begin. The power plant here is antiquated and all too frequently grids shut down leaving parts of the island in darkness. Don't bother calling them, you won’t get an answer.

You will meet more rude and obnoxious people in a week than you have in your entire life who will think they are superior to you and always treat you like an outsider.
This is not aloha island. On your arrival, the beautiful girl with flowers will not show up; Instead, they are sending a big burly (and exceedingly rude) taxi driver who hates your guts and loves your money.

You will find (or maybe not) normal people an rare and unusual species and so much so that you will instantly want to fall to the ground and worship this wonderful person whom you just met and want to befriend for life.

You will go through the five stages from Anger--to---Acceptance in a few short weeks.

You will live on the beach or just a short ride away but will be so busy making a living that you will never visit one.
You will wait for your tourist friends describe one to you, how they spent the day in crystal waters and satin sandy beaches and you will repeat this story to anyone who asks you which beach is best to go to.

You will wistfully glance at the sky at every passing plane, visualising a load of people going back to that promised land called the United States.

MAXIMUM ISLAND PART 2

It is 85 degrees in the shade and a beautiful day to go to the beach or just shop, have lunch and mingle with the native people.
We hope you have a wonderful time here and take back all the lovely memories back home with you. Thanks for visiting.

Reality check please.
You will begin to greet every passerby with a smile lest they accuse you of being rude and not liking "black people"
"Go back home yankee"
Any arguement with a native ends with a "I bawn hare" (I was born here and I am superior to you, Mr outsider. Your are now on my island and will play according to my rules)

Upon arrival, you solemly swear to give up all forms of entertainment unless you are an alcoholic or druggie.
Going to the local Kmart is a fun filled Sunday outing and you will witness several families doing just this.
If you go downtown, you are sure to be accosted by sleazy/very scary and definitely dangerous types who will want to sell you crack cocaine or any candy that you desire. And cheap too.
Couple of years ago, police arrested (surprise) a vendor, only to find out he was selling baby powder.
I have seen many a tourist do exactly this and then stand bewildered on the street corner waiting for candyman who is going to be a no-show.
Young male students are easy prey and you cannot exactly complain to the local police.

part three

You will begin to look at every newcomer to the island the same way as hardened convicts view incoming prisoners, poor innocent noobs waiting for their indoctrination, blissfully unaware of things to come.

You will start to fantasize about leaving and will go to bed every night dreaming about your escape from Maximum Island.

You have just emerged from a hot shower and curled up on your favorite armchair, checking your email on your laptop and browsing the internet.

There is a thump thump of the washing maching in the adjoining room, an almost reassuring sound that takes you to the farthest, most tranquil place in your mind.

Outside, the autumn leaves are a golden red and there is a group of small kids trying valiantly to throw a yellow ball thru a hoop in the driveway.

It is 7.00am and harsh sunlight is streaming in the room thru the blinds you forgot to shut last night.
The ancient refrigerator is humming, now complaining loudly, imploring you to get up and leave the house.
You step into a tepid shower, grateful for the small trickle that cleanses your body of the perspiration and grime from the day before.
You step out into the brilliant sunshine and overpowering heat, a plastered smile on your face for the neighbors to see, promising yourself that this will be a good one; Another day in paradise.

Your last day.
Everything takes on a surreal dreamlike quality. You are in another place in your mind, it refuses to believe
Remember when you were 6 years old and your parents took you to the first carnival ever.
That sweet ball of cotton candy that stuck to your lips. You gazed in wonderment and tried to take in everything all at once.
Well fugghetaboutit.

You vaguely remember the long wait in the terminal (you arrived here 3 hours earlier, didn't you, afraid you would miss this flight), you boarding pass clutched in your sweaty palms lest it take on a life of its own and fly away and you wake up, sweaty and damp in the middle of the night.
When the plane takes off, you are clutching onto the seat rests, not looking at the shrinking ground below and praying 'Pleas G~d, let this not be a dream, I promise to believe and pray henceforth"
The plane finally lands and the captain announces that "they will be landing shortly and the weather outside is whatever it is"
You are back in your hometown airport or somewhere else in that great land of ours that we call AMERICA.
You are excited but not smiling because you try to mantain this cool demeanor. Of course I survived, it was a breeze, nothing really, no biggie, no great shake.
But inside, your heart is doing cartwheels and your hands are in the air as you dance on the streets to a rush of corny 80's ballads.
Instead, you just hail an taxi and tell the driver --------------------------------------

"TAKE ME HOME, --PLEASE"
Yes i read your essay and also the essays of hundreds more people. some like yours and some the exact opposite. The difference is I'm not going into this blind or in some juvinile dreamstate. I know there is a not so great reality to life on a rock. But for what ever reason I am so drawn there. I don't watch TV, plan to work as a nurse practitioner and do some free clinics. I know everyday won't be fun in the sun, but finacially I should be able to afford days off and a pretty nice life. I don't require much to be happy and have traveled to several third world countries doing charity work, so I know the down side of it. I am mainly asking for someone who lives or lived on St. Croix for further advice, so thanks for the warning and sorry your experience was bad.

Old 05-18-2009, 03:25 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,686,254 times
1000 days = 2.75 years. Hardly enough time to even get your feet wet and yet you continuously cast slingshots and diatribes as though you were a real pro and denigrate such as I who has 9125+ days (25 years) but who you dismiss as living in some rose-colored spectacle illusion.

trmihall01: My apologies for having been so busy and not responding to your post. In any case it seems that you have also done substantial research. I would make your PMV a bit longer!

I was also waiting for such as this nonsense to come about and am surely not surprised. Lord Alive, induhvidual, how long did that essay take to write? Is it a work in progress or is that the definitive which can be quoted from as time passes by?

Old 05-18-2009, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
1000 days = 2.75 years. Hardly enough time to even get your feet wet and yet you continuously cast slingshots and diatribes as though you were a real pro and denigrate such as I who has 9125+ days (25 years) but who you dismiss as living in some rose-colored spectacle illusion.

trmihall01: My apologies for having been so busy and not responding to your post. In any case it seems that you have also done substantial research. I would make your PMV a bit longer!

I was also waiting for such as this nonsense to come about and am surely not surprised. Lord Alive, induhvidual, how long did that essay take to write? Is it a work in progress or is that the definitive which can be quoted from as time passes by?
That's the thing I'm screaming, I don't need anyone to discourage me, I'm going, I'm just asking for suggestions and ideas from those who do know more than me. I could live in a tent and live offf coconuts and be happy lol. The thought of living on a deserted island actually appeals to me...lol. How long do you suggest my pmv to be? Should I also move there and get settled then send for my daughter and vehicle. My dad who is also retired has said he would be willing to come and get me settled before going back. My large family is also willing to send any care packages needed.lol. Thanks for the advice and i would love to pick your brain for anything else your willing to give!

Old 05-18-2009, 09:57 PM

5,553 posts, read 8,002,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by induhvidual View Post
OP,

Part 1

MAXIMUM ISLAND PART 2

Reality check please.
"Go back home yankee"

part three

Your last day.
Well fugghetaboutit.

"TAKE ME HOME, --PLEASE"
This AGAIN???

Old 05-18-2009, 10:22 PM

5,553 posts, read 8,002,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fairbanks101 View Post
#3...

maybe thats why i discourage everyone from coming to the VI?
But why are so many of you still there, enjoy it there, feel quite comfortable there and longing to live there? I just came back from St.Thomas on a fight with a white lady who along with her husband, has been living on St. John since 1972 through the bad and the good. They had their children there too. Neither has a desire to ever come back to the states to live. There are MORE of these people than those like you or those who might think like you.

Just continue to enjoy Alaska and all the best.

Old 05-19-2009, 09:33 AM

286 posts, read 1,082,100 times
Default error

Quote:
Originally Posted by trmihall01 View Post
That's the thing I'm screaming, I don't need anyone to discourage me, I'm going, I'm just asking for suggestions and ideas from those who do know more than me. I could live in a tent and live offf coconuts and be happy lol. The thought of living on a deserted island actually appeals to me...lol. How long do you suggest my pmv to be? Should I also move there and get settled then send for my daughter and vehicle. My dad who is also retired has said he would be willing to come and get me settled before going back. My large family is also willing to send any care packages needed.lol. Thanks for the advice and i would love to pick your brain for anything else your willing to give!
Sorry, I apologise for my error
I actually lived there for 11 years.
That would make it approx 4000 days, enough to qualify me to opine.

Old 05-19-2009, 03:39 PM

1,995 posts, read 3,376,569 times
I don't see why you have to have lived there for years and years to have an opinion. Your experience is what it is. A lot of people look to this forum to see how others who are new to a particular location fared.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories