Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2020, 10:37 AM

53 posts, read 39,736 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takento26 View Post
I understand it's a stressful and nervous time, but I think some of you are way over analyzing this. It's not the 28th yet. Just hold on and see what they say tomorrow.
It's now the 28th and there is absolutely no information and/or instructions on the 13 week extension.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2020, 11:12 AM

66 posts, read 67,286 times
You are a great resource Scal2010. Thanks for your posts and information

Old 04-28-2020, 12:00 PM

60 posts, read 31,101 times
They did everyone who was waiting on the 13 week extension dirty

Old 04-28-2020, 12:05 PM

59 posts, read 51,894 times
There's another aspect to this, "extended duration award" in California when unemployment is at or over 6%. 5.3% for March, next calc is done May 22. See UIC, Div 1, Part 3, 3503(e). Analysis done at this law firm: https://www.lcwlegal.com/news/guide-...-the-cares-act.

It's absolutely unclear to me that anything is coming my way - even though my claim zeroed after April 11. The $600/wk into July appears to evaporate before PEUC or whatever applies is implemented. In the meantime, suffer. Community food banks are out there, and EBT. What would Adam Corolla do? Laugh at me - luck is everything in life, given some preparation.

No new information in the portal. Nothing new at edd.ca.gov. Both call centers hang up after bot message.

Last edited by lostwallet; 04-28-2020 at 12:14 PM..

Old 04-28-2020, 12:08 PM

3,259 posts, read 2,766,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostwallet View Post
There's another aspect to this, "extended duration award" in California when unemployment is at or over 6%. 5.3% for March, next calc is done May 22. See UIC, Div 1, Part 3, 3503(e). Analysis done at this law firm: https://www.lcwlegal.com/news/guide-...-the-cares-act.

It's absolutely unclear to me that anything is coming my way - even though my claim zeroed after April 11. The $600/wk into July appears to evaporate before PEUC or whatever applies is implemented. In the meantime, suffer. Community food banks are out there. EBT through DPSS. And what would Adam Corolla do? Laugh at me - luck is everything in life, given some preparation.
and once it shakes out PEUC will be backdated to when your claim expired April 11th giving you plenty of time/weeks to get your $600 extra a week. I'm in the same boat waiting in NJ Scenario A exhausted benefits and/or claims and waiting for further notice before certifying weeks.

Old 04-28-2020, 12:52 PM

160 posts, read 141,261 times
So because unemployment was off by .7% we have to wait till MAY22?
“We’ll keep you posted” is literally their only message regarding PEUC at all

I find it impossible to believe the group of us with exhausted benefits,
whom they clearly care the least about, will get backpay of 5+ weeks? Or 7ish by mid late May.
Cool they’ll implement it and leave us with 5 more weeks of claims before we’re on our own
What good is an extension when it’s not an extension at all it’s more like another stimulus ....
By May 22nd I’ll already have sold any non life saving essential possessions I owned on eBay
This isn’t pessimism I’m just literally at the end right now they aren’t gonna backpay 6-7 weeks +$600s I’ll be able to pluck feathers off the wings of a pig when that happens

Old 04-28-2020, 01:00 PM

26 posts, read 22,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevman22 View Post
Stop over analyzing and causing people to worry/despair. It accomplishes nothing.

It's straightforward on the CAEDD website, whether it's true or not is one thing, but it clearly states that:

and

and from the SacBee's website:

https://www.sacbee.com/news/californ...242091611.html

Let's see what happens tomorrow/this morning before everyone thinks it's somehow not happening, when almost all of the information seems to point to the fact that it will be.

It's available, you're just choosing not to read it or misinterpreting it, or both.
Exactly ! They said clearly that they are working on implementing the system. We really gotta just see what happens over these next days, or weeks.

Old 04-28-2020, 01:21 PM

3,259 posts, read 2,766,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostwallet View Post

It's absolutely unclear to me that anything is coming my way - even though my claim zeroed after April 11. The $600/wk into July appears to evaporate before PEUC or whatever applies is implemented. In the meantime, suffer. Community food banks are out there, and EBT. What would Adam Corolla do? Laugh at me - luck is everything in life, given some preparation.

No new information in the portal. Nothing new at edd.ca.gov. Both call centers hang up after bot message.
What am I missing? I just read through the entire article. What I'm reading is that if states do implement state extended programs that a person that has exhausted regular 26 week of regular UI benefits must first have the PEUC 13 week extension applied before any additional state extensions.

On April 17, California released its jobs report for March, which showed an unemployment rate of 5.3% and up from 3.9% in February. However, that report was based on information collected prior to March 12, and therefore does not reflect the hundreds of thousands of new jobless claims in the intervening month. As a result, labor conditions in California very likely satisfy the condition precedent for the commencement of the extended duration awards such that individuals who have exhausted regular unemployment compensation may soon be qualified to receive extended benefits under the state program.
However, the CARES Act and DOL guidance provide that “the payment of extended compensation for which an individual is otherwise eligible must be deferred until after the payment of any PEUC for which an individual is concurrently eligible.” Therefore, once the labor conditions exist such that an individual who has exhausted regular state unemployment compensation would otherwise qualify for an extended duration award from the state, that individual would first receive the PEUC.
Again, this is important for the order of operations, which first provides that an eligible and qualified individual would receive regular state unemployment compensation, and then, once that compensation is exhausted, would receive PEUC, even if conditions are such that the individual would normally receive extended unemployment compensation from the state.

Old 04-28-2020, 02:09 PM

66 posts, read 67,286 times
The state of California can extend unemployment in a disaster. They did not do it in 2008 and the only thing the Governor did this time was wave the waiting period. The article you are referring to ( over 6% 5.3%) is under a scenario that does not exist at this time.
This is the list of states and Care act status. 16 have implemented PEUC and backdated to April 4th.

Reddit Mega thread Cares act

https://www.reddit.com/r/Unemploymen...he_600_weekly/

Minnesota is a good example, was live April 15

https://www.uimn.org/assets/applicat...068-428207.pdf

Old 04-28-2020, 02:17 PM

1,058 posts, read 1,214,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mick2416 View Post
You are a great resource Scal2010. Thanks for your posts and information
Thank you, i feel the same about you. I appreciate your posts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment