Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2020, 10:37 PM

31 posts, read 17,113 times

Advertisements

Not sure if anyone posted this but just want to share with it. Latest news release from EDD. More info about PEUC is on 2nd page.

https://edd.ca.gov/About_EDD/pdf/news-20-15.pdf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2020, 11:59 PM

59 posts, read 51,929 times
Please write to your state and federal representatives. They need to be right on top of this.

Thank you for the link Bluemocha, it is clear PEUC candidates who exhausted claim on or after March 21st in California should do nothing but wait, and complain to their congressmen. (E after P, that's Pandemic Emergency, not the other way round, it's PEUC)

My reading of CARES act 2107 is in addition to the $600, those enrolled in PEUC would receive an average of their prior weekly claim.

EDD states it's only 5 to 7 days for responses to an inquiry - I'm at 15 days and can't get through on the phone.

Old 05-01-2020, 12:08 AM

Remember to keep looking for work! On receiving PEUC you'll have to certify for benefits eventually, and no work record means returning the money. And who knows, you might get lucky

Old 05-01-2020, 12:17 AM

1,058 posts, read 1,215,262 times
Okay so reading that link, Category #2 seems to be the most straight forward. Unfortunately, I would fall into the #4 category. I already filed a new claim right when my original claim ended in early April. I don't qualify for a new claim but I filed it anyway because I didn't know what else to do. So I do nothing now except wait? Although depending on what date they use, I could also be in the #3 category. In that case, it would again just be to wait? I still haven't received the magical "letter" that was supposedly mailed to everyone on the 14th.

Side note, I'm going to start drinking wine at night. Lol *not really laughing*

Quote:
Workers who have exhausted all available unemployment benefits
The EDD has a dedicated team working to build the new 13-week federal
extension of benefits established in the federal CARES Act called the Pandemic
Emergency Unemployment Compensation (PEUC). Some workers who have run
out of all of their available benefits will be eligible for this extension, while others
may qualify for the new PUA program.

Unfortunately, the complex web of eligibility requirements established by the
federal government makes this very challenging for impacted workers looking for
immediate financial help. To help navigate the mandated requirements, the EDD
provides the following guidance to assist workers. It all depends on when you
exhausted your benefits, and when your benefit year expires.

1. If you received your last benefit payment for weeks you spent unemployed
between February 2 and March 21, but are still within the one year that your
claim is good for, you could be eligible for PUA benefits for the weeks you are
eligible for between February 2, 2020 and March 28, 2020.
While you will not be able to apply for PUA through UI Online, the EDD will
send you a Notice of Pandemic Unemployment Assistance Award and a
separate document you’ll need to complete to give EDD additional details that
we don’t already have from you to meet PUA requirements. Watch for further
updates soon.

2. If you received your last benefit payment for weeks you spent unemployed on
or after March 21 and are still within your benefit year, you will not meet
federal requirements for PUA. But the EDD will automatically file an extension
claim for you as soon as it’s available since we will already have your
information needed. You will receive a notice from EDD when that claim has
been filed and when you can certify for PEUC benefit payments.

3. If you ran out of benefits before February 2 and are still within your benefit
year, you most likely will not be eligible for PUA because you have to verify
your unemployment is a direct result of the pandemic. However, you may be
eligible for the new federal 13-week extension. The EDD will notify you of how
to apply as soon as further details are available.

4. If you have run out of your benefits AND your benefit year has expired, you are
encouraged to reapply for benefits through UI Online. Based on the
information you provide, the EDD will determine if you qualify for a new regular
UI claim based on wage data or a PUA claim.

5. If you are unable to collect regular UI benefits due to a disqualification (such as
you voluntarily quit, were fired or discharged from your employer), or you are
serving a false statement penalty from a past claim, you could be eligible for
PUA benefits. As with group one above, you will receive a Notice of Pandemic
Unemployment Assistance Award and a separate document you’ll need to
complete to give the EDD additional details that we don’t already have from you
to meet PUA requirements. Watch for further updates soon.

Last edited by Scal2010; 05-01-2020 at 12:27 AM..

Old 05-01-2020, 03:27 AM

66 posts, read 67,346 times
I would fall under number 3 ,last benefit week paid ended 02/01/20.
Wait and see

Good luck everyone

Old 05-01-2020, 07:50 AM

313 posts, read 347,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostwallet View Post
Remember to keep looking for work! On receiving PEUC you'll have to certify for benefits eventually, and no work record means returning the money. And who knows, you might get lucky
Well that's a shocker to hear and a drawback to receiving the 13 week extension (having to return the money eventually)

Old 05-01-2020, 08:00 AM

Does this not mean we had better keep searching for work now, even though certifications are delayed?

From https://edd.ca.gov/about_edd/coronav...19/workers.htm -

"We will contact you at a later time with instructions on how to provide retroactive certifications for this time period, including answering a series of eligibility questions."

Old 05-01-2020, 08:25 AM

3,259 posts, read 2,770,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostwallet View Post
Does this not mean we had better keep searching for work now, even though certifications are delayed?

From https://edd.ca.gov/about_edd/coronav...19/workers.htm -

"We will contact you at a later time with instructions on how to provide retroactive certifications for this time period, including answering a series of eligibility questions."
No I do not infer that from what is posted on that link. If work search is suspended during the time frame for automatic payments and no certifications required through May 9th why would you think this? Of most importance from that notice is that you are REQUIRED to notify them IF you WORKED during any of those weeks that were automatically certified for you.

they will want you to certify your weeks at a later time (I'm assuming same basic certification questions as always asked) and if the weeks certified thru may 9th fell under the time frame for no work search required claimants should be fine.

Due to the impact of COVID-19, we made the following temporary exceptions for all Unemployment Insurance claims until further notice:

Waiting Period – The 7-day waiting period is waived for claims beginning on or after January 19, 2020. After you submit your first two-week continued certification, you will be paid for the first week of your claim.
Work Search – You are not required to look for work each week to be eligible for benefits.

Last edited by scraprsmith; 05-01-2020 at 08:34 AM..

Old 05-01-2020, 10:45 AM

1,058 posts, read 1,215,262 times
FWIW, they never asked me for records of my work search in the 26 weeks that I collected UI. I never voluntarily filled out the form, but I was always sending resumes and so on. I checked Yes I was looking for work but they never asked for proof.

But of course, everyone should still be looking for work now because UI/PUA is only temporary. Ultimately we all want a permanent job and you never know when that can happen. There are opportunities now to get your foot in the door at companies that normally don't have openings. So we should still be looking whether EDD requires us to or not.

Old 05-01-2020, 04:59 PM

66 posts, read 67,346 times
That Facebook live today with(California EDD) Secretary Su was a disappointment. No timeline on PEUC. She could not speak coherently about it.
She only said if you exhaust between Feb 2 and March 21 you could be on PUA retro. Instead of PEUC on March 29 ?

I exhausted the week ending Feb 1. So I MAY be eligible for PEUC? Most likely will not be eligible for PUA ?

Look at the wording in the APRIL 30 press release.
(you could be eligible for PUA)
( you most likely will not be eligible for PUA)
(you may be eligible for the new federal 13-week extension)

I understand everything is subject to qualification and verification. It seems to me they are still figuring it out.

It looks like a couple more long weeks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment