Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2020, 10:14 AM

66 posts, read 67,346 times

Advertisements

So many states have PEUC laid out and implemented.

Massachusetts Unemployment PEUC, They do say you must apply for PUA to get PEUC.

https://www.mass.gov/info-details/up...sation-(peuc)-

Pandemic Emergency Unemployment Compensation (PEUC)
The PEUC program provides up to 13 weeks of unemployment insurance benefits to individuals who have exhausted their previous unemployment benefits. The first week a claimant can be compensated on this benefit is the week beginning March 29, 2020, and the last payable week is the week ending December 26, 2020.

Individuals who have exhausted their UI benefits after July 5, 2019 may receive PEUC by successfully applying for Pandemic Unemployment Assistance (PUA).
////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
Can I qualify for benefits under the CARES Act if my benefit year has expired or I have exhausted my benefits in my current benefit year?
Individuals whose benefit year has expired or who have exhausted all rights to benefits under state or federal law in their current benefit year may qualify for Pandemic Emergency Unemployment Compensation (PEUC). PEUC is a 13 week extension of regular unemployment benefits.

What are the eligibility requirements for Pandemic Emergency Unemployment Compensation (PEUC)?
There are four major requirements:

the benefit year of the individual’s claim for regular UI must have expired after July 1, 2019.
The individual seeking Pandemic Emergency Unemployment Compensation (PEUC) cannot otherwise have rights to benefits under state or federal law.
the individual cannot be receiving benefits from Canada.
the individual must be able to work, available to work, and actively seeking work, except that a state shall apply flexibility in meeting work search requirements for individuals unable to search for work because of COVID-19, including because of illness, quarantine, or movement restriction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2020, 03:01 PM

3,259 posts, read 2,770,411 times
From CA EDD Twitter Page posed 2 hrs ago.

2h
Replying to
@CA_EDD
I just spoke to someone and said the extension should be implemented by may 16th !!!!

It kind of plays into same time frame of May 18th that NJ said expected date would be.

Old 05-07-2020, 03:47 PM

1,058 posts, read 1,215,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scraprsmith View Post
From CA EDD Twitter Page posed 2 hrs ago.

2h
Replying to
@CA_EDD
I just spoke to someone and said the extension should be implemented by may 16th !!!!

It kind of plays into same time frame of May 18th that NJ said expected date would be.
I wonder if this is for all exhausters or just the ones with open claims.

Old 05-07-2020, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick2416 View Post
So many states have PEUC laid out and implemented.

Massachusetts Unemployment PEUC, They do say you must apply for PUA to get PEUC.

https://www.mass.gov/info-details/up...sation-(peuc)-

Pandemic Emergency Unemployment Compensation (PEUC)
The PEUC program provides up to 13 weeks of unemployment insurance benefits to individuals who have exhausted their previous unemployment benefits. The first week a claimant can be compensated on this benefit is the week beginning March 29, 2020, and the last payable week is the week ending December 26, 2020.

Individuals who have exhausted their UI benefits after July 5, 2019 may receive PEUC by successfully applying for Pandemic Unemployment Assistance (PUA).
////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
Can I qualify for benefits under the CARES Act if my benefit year has expired or I have exhausted my benefits in my current benefit year?
Individuals whose benefit year has expired or who have exhausted all rights to benefits under state or federal law in their current benefit year may qualify for Pandemic Emergency Unemployment Compensation (PEUC). PEUC is a 13 week extension of regular unemployment benefits.

What are the eligibility requirements for Pandemic Emergency Unemployment Compensation (PEUC)?
There are four major requirements:

the benefit year of the individual’s claim for regular UI must have expired after July 1, 2019.
The individual seeking Pandemic Emergency Unemployment Compensation (PEUC) cannot otherwise have rights to benefits under state or federal law.
the individual cannot be receiving benefits from Canada.
the individual must be able to work, available to work, and actively seeking work, except that a state shall apply flexibility in meeting work search requirements for individuals unable to search for work because of COVID-19, including because of illness, quarantine, or movement restriction.

I think MA is the state who just has one question that would the take you over to another section with a handful of questions. I'm not sure if it's actually considered PUA but they have lumped the landing page for PEUC with PUA. It's not a long app like PUA is though.

Old 05-07-2020, 04:26 PM

160 posts, read 141,458 times
So May 16th seems real likely, thats also what the one rep that knew what she was talking about told me
She said weekend ending 05/15 and it’ll all be automatic
So I’m thinking all the backdated weeks will be there to certify, I doubt that’ll be automatic too I didn’t ask that part.

Really hoping they make an official announcement on EDD like they did for PUA and they did for the auto certification period.
The covid19 resources page on EDD still says the same old “we’ll keep you posted” and still has outdated PUA notice there
so one updated message there this weekend could put a lot of people’s nerves at rest til the 16th

Old 05-07-2020, 07:57 PM

So one week from tomorrow. That would be amazing. I'm guessing the ended-claim people like me will have to wait another week (or so) maybe. Wouldn't it be amazing if ALL exhausters were able to certify on the 16th?! I would be so happy.

Old 05-07-2020, 11:51 PM

38 posts, read 26,856 times
My last week of benefits will be this Sunday May 10th although my benefit year was 5/5/19, I was switched to a Training Extension and im still attending class via online, so does this mean I will NOT be automatically extended on the 16th and will have to file a new UI claim or file a PUA claim?

Old 05-08-2020, 07:59 AM

59 posts, read 51,929 times
How will CAL-ED / FED-ED interact with PEUC?

WSJ article today has national unemployment at 14.7%. There is something called "Federal-State Extended Unemployment Compensation Act of 1970". California will revise its rate on May 22nd. This existing extension, different than CARES, is triggered above 6%.

More research needed, not the actual law, but from unemploymentclaims.org

"Unemployment extension payments are the same amount as the initial regular unemployment insurance payments. Claimants approved for unemployment compensation extensions receive benefit payments directly from the federal government."

Old 05-08-2020, 09:08 AM

66 posts, read 67,346 times
This is how it worked in 2008 with 4 Federal extensions.

https://oui.doleta.gov/unemploy/euc.asp

The 1970 act is optional for each state (States can trigger this off and on ) This is state-funded , with all their debt they will not activate this.

Good Link
https://www.seyfarth.com/news-insigh...-benefits.html

3. State Extended Benefits-
Who is eligible? Employees who have exhausted normal unemployment benefits, but only if the state has “triggered on” extended benefits under the Federal-State Extended Unemployment Compensation Act of 1970.
What do they get? Determined by state law. The $600 federal supplement is not available for extended benefits.
How long do they get this benefit? This benefit is available for between 13-20 weeks, depending on state law and the state’s unemployment rate.
Does the availability of this program ever expire? Yes, states must “trigger” it, and states can “trigger off” extended benefits as they see fit.
Is this payment paid by the state or federal government? States make these payments.

Old 05-08-2020, 10:22 AM

313 posts, read 347,259 times
Well nice! (for PEUC to start May 16th)

But, it lands on the weekend I don't certify (UI only allows me to certify every other week, in California).

Would I be able to certify right then and there (since it's Federal money)?
Or, would I have to wait to certify per my usual 2 week cycle?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment