Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2020, 07:48 PM

1,058 posts, read 1,215,262 times

Advertisements

mick2416, how are you doing? We haven't heard from you in a while.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2020, 08:26 PM

I think Julie Su wants to take a break from the criticism. Now the EDD Director is talking.

She sounds delusional if she feels "glad to be at this point." And no, there hasn't been "a lot of confusion" about the CARES Act from most people who read it. The "confusion" is from YOUR office!

https://twitter.com/CA_EDD/status/12...550784/video/1

Old 05-14-2020, 08:26 PM

16 posts, read 9,541 times
ok this is actually some concrete info and surprisingly far more forgiving than i'd anticipated going back all the way to June 2 for start dates..

Now that this is simply a waiting game I have 2 questions that we may or may not have answers to (forgive me if either/both of these ahve been covered as i'm newer to the forum)

1. will we be able to retroactively certify to say March when we were let go from our jobs?
2. will we be elligible for the extra $600/week?

Again, if we just don't know or if this has been covered i apologize for my ignorance.

Best wishes all!

Old 05-14-2020, 08:58 PM

3,259 posts, read 2,770,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Wilkenson View Post
ok this is actually some concrete info and surprisingly far more forgiving than i'd anticipated going back all the way to June 2 for start dates..

Now that this is simply a waiting game I have 2 questions that we may or may not have answers to (forgive me if either/both of these ahve been covered as i'm newer to the forum)

1. will we be able to retroactively certify to say March when we were let go from our jobs?

Again, if we just don't know or if this has been covered i apologize for my ignorance.

Best wishes all!
According to DOL guidelines to states it should be retro back to when you were let go in March. And yes you should be entitled to the $600 a week. But how California interprets it and finalizes it seems to be a guessing game at this point.

Old 05-14-2020, 09:26 PM

6 posts, read 3,445 times
New Update for California: Date for PEUC
https://www.edd.ca.gov/About_EDD/pdf/news-20-17.pdf

[quote][New federal extension planned for launch
The EDD has been working around the clock to implement a new 13-week federal
extension of unemployment benefits called the Pandemic Emergency
Unemployment Compensation (PEUC) established in the federal CARES Act. Due
to the different dates, eligibility requirements, and interactions with other UI
programs, including the new PUA program, the implementation of this extension
has increased complexities. In order to make these PEUC benefits available as
quickly as possible during this historic pandemic, the EDD will be rolling the
extension out in two phases.
 Phase 1 – Starting May 27th
, the EDD will begin automatically filing PEUC
extensions for those who exhausted all available benefits on their claim with a
benefit year that started on or after June 2, 2019, and expects the first phase to
be completed in early June. These individuals will receive a notice through the
mail about 5-7 days after the PEUC extension is filed. This notice will include
instructions on how to certify for extension benefit payments if you remain
unemployed. Claimants are also encouraged to watch for updates in the Inbox
of their UI Online account.
 Phase 2 – Starting in early July, the EDD will begin mailing notices to those
who ran out of their regular UI benefits sometime after July 2018 who are not
part of the more recent group of those who exhausted benefits in Phase 1.
More details will be released later. But the EDD recommends these individuals
who remain out of work apply for another UI claim through UI Online if they
haven’t already done so. The EDD will be required to first check whether or not
they would qualify for a new regular claim before an extension could be filed.
/QUOTE]

Old 05-14-2020, 10:38 PM

Phase 1- Claims started June 2, 2019 or later.

Phase 2- Exhausted after July 2018.

My claim year was April 2019-April 2020 and I exhausted Oct 2019. I really feel like I should qualify for the "new" group (Phase 1) yet I don't. My claim was not an "old" claim.

Their dates don't make sense to me at all.

Oh well.

Old 05-15-2020, 04:48 AM

3,259 posts, read 2,770,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scal2010 View Post
Phase 1- Claims started June 2, 2019 or later.

Phase 2- Exhausted after July 2018.

My claim year was April 2019-April 2020 and I exhausted Oct 2019. I really feel like I should qualify for the "new" group (Phase 1) yet I don't. My claim was not an "old" claim.

Their dates don't make sense to me at all.

Oh well.
and their date of July 2018 really isn't correct IMO. it should reflect the dates and scenarios as mentioned on NJ's website instructions. Benefits exhausted after July 2018 versus those who've opened a claim after 7/8/18 are completely different. In essence saying benefits exhausted after July 2018 gives another 6 months window for people to be eligible to collect the extension. DOL guidelines don't say benefits exhausted after July 2018

Old 05-15-2020, 08:58 AM

5,153 posts, read 3,765,357 times
I am wondering how this might play out. Say you were fairly recently furloughed due to C-19 and have been collecting UI plus the Fed $600. Your benefits weeks run out before the state can implement PEUC. You go back to work before PEUC is implemented but you have a slew of weeks that you were unemployed but drew no UI. How are you supposed to claw back the unpaid weeks if when the PEUC is implemented you are already back to work?

Old 05-15-2020, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scraprsmith View Post
and their date of July 2018 really isn't correct IMO. it should reflect the dates and scenarios as mentioned on NJ's website instructions. Benefits exhausted after July 2018 versus those who've opened a claim after 7/8/18 are completely different. In essence saying benefits exhausted after July 2018 gives another 6 months window for people to be eligible to collect the extension. DOL guidelines don't say benefits exhausted after July 2018
Agreed. I was wondering if that was a typo but I'm sure that statement was gone over a million times. Let's say someone started a claim in July 2017 and then stretched their benefits to exhaust over their entire claim year, so finally exhausted July 2018. That OLD claim is in the same waiting phase that I am, even though my claim was recent.

Plus the fact that for Phase 1 they are using claim year for criteria and then for Phase 2 they are switching to when people exhausted doesn't make sense. If they are locked into dates as a way of dividing people, they should use the same criteria for each phase. They are also implying that Phase 2 will have additional qualifying steps with the "more info to come" statement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancers View Post
I am wondering how this might play out. Say you were fairly recently furloughed due to C-19 and have been collecting UI plus the Fed $600. Your benefits weeks run out before the state can implement PEUC. You go back to work before PEUC is implemented but you have a slew of weeks that you were unemployed but drew no UI. How are you supposed to claw back the unpaid weeks if when the PEUC is implemented you are already back to work?
They would still give the backpay for the weeks the person didn't work.

Old 05-15-2020, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Wilkenson View Post

Best wishes all!
Yes, people have posted that they got their full backpay and $600 once they finally started getting the benefits on UI or PUA. For PEUC, since that hasn't happened yet, we don't know for sure what will happen but from everything they've said in the past, we should get the full backpay and $600. If they don't, people will freak out. There will be class account lawsuits, for sure. There probably already will be anyway because of how long this took.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment