Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2020, 03:45 PM

3,259 posts, read 2,770,411 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmonte View Post
im phase 1 the only negative I see now is that it might still take 1 week to take effect after may27th, hope there’s at least a message in the EDD inbox on the 27th.. crazy how official recommendation is to just “keep checking in the week following 5/27”. Lol

This is gonna make people check the site 100 times a day to see if it’s live.
Also kind of weary how it says “to make sure you’re still unemployed”, I definitely am and didn’t work at all since 3/29 so I don’t have anything to worry about but still, what if I answer a question wrong, etc.. just hope it’s not 1 thing after another here.

And I feel bad for phase 2 people it’s like a whole extra month and there’s people who might have to start working again soon so I can see how backpayments could be an issue in those situations.

Fingers crossed for all of us
Yes that's what I see potentially happening and god knows how many months til it would be resolved if it does happen. It's like some states have made PEUC expotentially harder to obtain than it should need to be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2020, 04:02 PM

1,058 posts, read 1,215,262 times
Yeah, I can see that being a problem. If someone goes back to work between now and when Phase 2 starts, they probably won't get PEUC. That's why they are careful to always say "IF" you qualify and how you will have to "APPLY" for PEUC. The "more info to come" will probably talk about this. They don't want to lay that bomb on people yet or discourage people from accepting work.

In their first announcement for Phase 2, they said to re-apply for UI because they are required by law to check to see if the person would qualify for regular UI before they can get PEUC. Did other states have that requirement? I think I recall NY told PEUC people to apply for a new claim first. I guess that's a standard Fed requirement because they want the state to pay when possible. But t does seem like CA is making this much more complicated than any other state. They will be the last state to implement all this.

At this point, I'm just telling myself that I'm not getting a dime because then I won't feel as upset if it doesn't happen. One thing is for sure, I will never look at CA EDD in the same way. I hope that I NEVER have to deal with these people for the rest of my life.

Old 05-22-2020, 04:03 PM

Side note, one of the reporters said Julie won't be available to talk for another 2 weeks. Not sure if that has any significance but that might be when Phase 1 is almost done so she can answer questions without people being so mad.

Old 05-22-2020, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scal2010 View Post
Yeah, I can see that being a problem. If someone goes back to work between now and when Phase 2 starts, they probably won't get PEUC. That's why they are careful to always say "IF" you qualify and how you will have to "APPLY" for PEUC. The "more info to come" will probably talk about this. They don't want to lay that bomb on people yet or influencing people from accepting work.

In their first announcement for Phase 2, they said to re-apply for UI because they are required by law to check to see if the person would qualify for regular UI before they can get PEUC. Did other states have that requirement? I think I recall NY told PEUC people to apply for a new claim first. I guess that's a standard Fed requirement because they want the state to pay when possible. But t does seem like CA is making this much more complicated than any other state. They will be the last state to implement all this.

At this point, I'm just telling myself that I'm not getting a dime because then I won't feel as upset if it doesn't happen. One thing is for sure, I will never look at CA EDD in the same way. I hope that I NEVER have to deal with these people for the rest of my life.
Right alongside the State of NJ. And then refiling will be another delay and cause for more errors and holdups. I can already see it. And what if when you refile they try to herd you into PUA. Technically I didn't think PEUC was specifically tied to COVID like PUA is. I know they are required to check every new quarter change for new employment for PEUC people. That's in the guidelines.

Old 05-22-2020, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scraprsmith View Post
Right alongside the State of NJ. And then refiling will be another delay and cause for more errors and holdups. I can already see it. And what if when you refile they try to herd you into PUA. Technically I didn't think PEUC was specifically tied to COVID like PUA is. I know they are required to check every new quarter change for new employment for PEUC people. That's in the guidelines.
I wonder if that requirement for checking new quarters is why CA always seems to want to push people into PUA. Maybe it's less work for them so they would rather people get paid that way.

Old 05-22-2020, 05:47 PM

Quote:
I wonder if that requirement for checking new quarters is why CA always seems to want to push people into PUA. Maybe it's less work for them so they would rather people get paid that way.
Easy fix? maybe? But honestly for some people technically they shouldn't be applying for PUA if not a COVID listed reason, but they should be entitled to PEUC. and some people would fare better if higher PEUC extension amount for shorter time frame if they know they will be called back to work soon. Instead of getting the minimum PUA amount.

Old 05-22-2020, 05:58 PM

59 posts, read 51,929 times
CA unemployment is 15.5% which allows FED-ED or CAL-ED, mentioned in this thread a few pages back. It has to be "triggered", and understanding it is as complicated as this PEUC thing. If triggered, how would they interact with CARES?

Old 05-22-2020, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostwallet View Post
CA unemployment is 15.5% which allows FED-ED or CAL-ED, mentioned in this thread a few pages back. It has to be "triggered", and understanding it is as complicated as this PEUC thing. If triggered, how would they interact with CARES?
oh lord, now there's another dance i see being led by people with 2 left feet. that's another ball of wax. just a way to jerk people around even further. "you will be paid for all retro weeks"... when? cause it was intended to get into the hands of those unemployed rapidly not July.

Old 05-24-2020, 12:00 AM

313 posts, read 347,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmonte View Post
im phase 1 the only negative I see now is that it might still take 1 week to take effect after may27th, hope there’s at least a message in the EDD inbox on the 27th.. crazy how official recommendation is to just “keep checking in the week following 5/27”. Lol

This is gonna make people check the site 100 times a day to see if it’s live.
Also kind of weary how it says “to make sure you’re still unemployed”, I definitely am and didn’t work at all since 3/29 so I don’t have anything to worry about but still, what if I answer a question wrong, etc.. just hope it’s not 1 thing after another here.

And I feel bad for phase 2 people it’s like a whole extra month and there’s people who might have to start working again soon so I can see how backpayments could be an issue in those situations.

Fingers crossed for all of us

I wonder if the certifying days will still be Sunday, and if certifying will be every two weeks or one week.

We're getting close to finding out!

May 27th just 3 days away!

Old 05-24-2020, 12:03 AM

313 posts, read 347,259 times
Quote:
Yeah, I can see that being a problem. If someone goes back to work between now and when Phase 2 starts, they probably won't get PEUC. That's why they are careful to always say "IF" you qualify and how you will have to "APPLY" for PEUC. The "more info to come" will probably talk about this. They don't want to lay that bomb on people yet or discourage people from accepting work.

You're a phase 2er, correct?
Are you thinking about going back to work before July?
If you do, shouldn't they still owe you backpay regardless?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment