Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 07:49 PM

348 posts, read 707,899 times

Advertisements

I think that unless you are young, will work for cheap, and do not mind being totally walked over by your employer. Its time to plant a money tree, you mite even grow a dollar before 99s get any more help. I will call and complain. The fact is I will continue to send resumes out until I run out of paper. I will keep making the best choices I can until the choices all tern into mistakes and just start choosing the lesser of the of the bad mistakes. Good luck to everyone.

Old 03-09-2010, 01:32 PM

870 posts, read 1,406,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davenj2009 View Post
but there is nothing to report so why start the thread when myself and a few others have already started them regarding a tier 5? THERE IS NO NEWS ABOUT IT WHATSOEVER. I want it like all of you do but it is not going to happen. 99 weeks is the max. There isn't anything even open in discussion within our government.If it does happen, it will not be anytime soon. Look what it took just to get a 30 day temp extension on the Feb 28th expiration date. It was like pulling teeth. There is nothing to discuss right now.
Nothing YET, but what the originator of the thread is doing is specifying that VERIFIABLE info on this is solely to be discussed. On other threads many subtopics are discussed. This thread hones in on JUST a specific piece of info that any one of us can hit this thread and find out about when it comes without having to search throughout the thread over a mass of other concerns that may be typed. I can see what his intent was.

Old 03-09-2010, 05:01 PM

1 posts, read 1,715 times
This person is right!!! We all need to contact nancy pelosi and harry reids office daily!!!! Call them and e-mail them daily!!!! Start doing this now, right now or we will be homeless!!! I e-mail at least 5 to ten senators a day by both e-mailing ( and i press the re-send button 20 times) and calling. Call them every morning!!!! Nothing will happen unless they hear from us!!!

Old 03-09-2010, 05:04 PM

47 posts, read 160,249 times
Default question - not really verified

I can't make this out it's too vague. Is this what we're talking about when you say just extending reporting times, or is this talk of adding benefits (a Tier 5)?

Also it has a link to use to contact reps:

http://www.workingamerica.org/blog/2...in-the-senate/

Last edited by sPlat; 03-09-2010 at 05:07 PM.. Reason: correct link

Old 03-09-2010, 08:35 PM

1,097 posts, read 2,051,801 times
No - just extending underwriting the current benefits/tiers & COBRA through 2010, so the more recently unemployed can still hop on the bus, or transfer on to the next line.

Old 03-10-2010, 05:45 AM
OVM

2 posts, read 4,530 times
Dont worry, tier 5 is on the way. Unfortunately, it will be a last minute, and probably just a bit too late issue taken up, just as this past 14-20 extension. Reid & other democrats are on top of it, theyre just letting some time pass in between pushing thru the current extension that will allow everyone to collect all 99 weeks if necessary. I know its frustrating, not know for sure-tho hold it. Help is on the way.

Old 03-10-2010, 06:32 AM

139 posts, read 291,175 times
OVM how can you be so sure?

Old 03-10-2010, 06:45 AM

244 posts, read 622,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OVM View Post
Dont worry, tier 5 is on the way. Unfortunately, it will be a last minute, and probably just a bit too late issue taken up, just as this past 14-20 extension. Reid & other democrats are on top of it, theyre just letting some time pass in between pushing thru the current extension that will allow everyone to collect all 99 weeks if necessary. I know its frustrating, not know for sure-tho hold it. Help is on the way.

It will NOT be any time soon unfortunately. Wishful thinking is fine but don't get everybody riled up. Do you have any idea at all what it is costing to extend that current deadline to allow all of those people on lower tiers to move forward? If a tier 5 comes out, it will be a very hard battle to get it pushed thru. The republicans will go bananas. It may happen, don't get me wrong but, it will take much longer than you are making it sound like. It is not "on it's way" as you put it. More like " far away". Its a shame because may of us are still in a jam but the reality is clear now.

Even if they did add some more weeks, it would likely be something like 6. What is that really gonna do for any of us? After that, it is right back to where we are now. Ok, even bump it to 13. That still goes by very fast. You really think there will then be a tier 6 and tier 7. Believe me, everybody wishes for a tier 5 and then that will be over before you know it because it will be an insignificant amount of weeks anyway. Its not going to make much of a difference in this current economy. They will never grant a new tier that will be anything significant like 20 weeks. You can forget about that possibility.

Eventually, whether we want to face it or not, the day is coming where we have to do one of 2 things:

1: find a job. Any job

2: learn how to live with no more unemployment checks.

I know I sound very negative. I understand that but That is our reality folks. We all know it. Even if a few more weeks are added, a selection from the 2 choices above has to be made...and soon.

Forget about more extensions. Whatever job searching methods you follow now...double it...triple it. That is what I am doing. It is the only way. What else can we really do? Hope for permanent unemployment? It is a pipe dream.

I know im not liked here much but I was taught something once and I live by these words in certain circumstances: "A lot of times people hate hearing the truth and they will bash the people that discuss truth/reality because they don't want to face it"

I admit to being like that myself but honestly, what would a tier 5 really do? You know it is going to be a short duration and if you count on it too much, you will be praying for tier 6. The end has come. Personally, Im trying to accept it.

Last edited by davenj2009; 03-10-2010 at 06:58 AM..

Old 03-10-2010, 07:17 AM

516 posts, read 1,351,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davenj2009 View Post
It will NOT be any time soon unfortunately. Wishful thinking is fine but don't get everybody riled up. Do you have any idea at all what it is costing to extend that current deadline to allow all of those people on lower tiers to move forward? If a tier 5 comes out, it will be a very hard battle to get it pushed thru. The republicans will go bananas. It may happen, don't get me wrong but, it will take much longer than you are making it sound like. It is not "on it's way" as you put it. More like " far away". Its a shame because may of us are still in a jam but the reality is clear now.

Even if they did add some more weeks, it would likely be something like 6. What is that really gonna do for any of us? After that, it is right back to where we are now. Ok, even bump it to 13. That still goes by very fast. You really think there will then be a tier 6 and tier 7. Believe me, everybody wishes for a tier 5 and then that will be over before you know it because it will be an insignificant amount of weeks anyway. Its not going to make much of a difference in this current economy. They will never grant a new tier that will be anything significant like 20 weeks. You can forget about that possibility.

Eventually, whether we want to face it or not, the day is coming where we have to do one of 2 things:

1: find a job. Any job

2: learn how to live with no more unemployment checks.

I know I sound very negative. I understand that but That is our reality folks. We all know it. Even if a few more weeks are added, a selection from the 2 choices above has to be made...and soon.

Forget about more extensions. Whatever job searching methods you follow now...double it...triple it. That is what I am doing. It is the only way. What else can we really do? Hope for permanent unemployment? It is a pipe dream.

I know im not liked here much but I was taught something once and I live by these words in certain circumstances: "A lot of times people hate hearing the truth and they will bash the people that discuss truth/reality because they don't want to face it"

I admit to being like that myself but honestly, what would a tier 5 really do? You know it is going to be a short duration and if you count on it too much, you will be praying for tier 6. The end has come. Personally, Im trying to accept it.
I can't agree with you more Dave. This is so true. Look what happened back in fall when tier III and IV came out, very time consuming.

Old 03-10-2010, 07:24 AM

5,346 posts, read 4,057,711 times
Unfortunately, there will be a Tier V or something similar. No one is getting work and businesses are not hiring. Like it or not there will be more extensions. It's not a matter of if but when. The National Unemployment Rate would have to go below 7% before we see any improvement. So there will be more extensions. They are just dragging it out like last November. Tax season is here and come April 15th things will get ugly for those who are still Unemployed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment