Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2010, 07:31 AM

83 posts, read 140,354 times

Advertisements

Just give it to about early May so that larger numbers of people have exhausted their Tier IV benefits. It won't be pretty; people without funds will go hungry, loose their homes, and everything else. (Plus, of course, some of those who can't take it any longer might resort to violence against themselves or others.) Plus, those w/o any funds (UI payments) will either drop out of the economy or further curtail their spending. I predict that this will lead to more unemployment.

At that time there will be a very different kind of pressure to do something. If that "something" entails new tier levels, I don't know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WendyEF View Post
I can't agree with you more Dave. This is so true. Look what happened back in fall when tier III and IV came out, very time consuming.

Old 03-10-2010, 07:44 AM

100 posts, read 308,066 times
Tier 5? You can't be serious. After 2 years of collecting unemployment, it's welfare and food stamps.

Old 03-10-2010, 07:58 AM

3,644 posts, read 10,959,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coronadeluxe View Post
Tier 5? You can't be serious. After 2 years of collecting unemployment, it's welfare and food stamps.
Well, that or get a job. Maybe start some training for a NEW career. But that seems desperate.

In 2001, a childhood friend of mine lost her job - the company moved to India. She was bitter and blamed Bush that she could only collect unemployment benefits for 18 months. Then she had to get a minimum wage job.

9 years later, she is still waiting for that job to come back. She's still working for minimum wage, she's 39 and living with her parents. She is convinced Obama and the democrats will save her and rants about Bush on her Facebook page and spends her evenings playing pool and whining that "it's not fair".

She's had NINE YEARS and is still blaming others. I wonder if she hadn't had 18 months of sitting around, if she would've done SOMETHING. She is part of a growing population in America "it's not my fault", "I deserve more", "gimme, gimme, gimme".

How many years of "unemployment" is enough? For some, it never will be. When we were facing unemployment, we started up our own business - but then again, we didn't have 99 weeks/2 years of unemployment to sit on. We spent 2 1/2 years struggling. Months of eating Ramen & generic PB to make sure the kids had milk.

But I'm sure those seeking a "Tier 5" are too good for that. Obviously.

Old 03-10-2010, 08:59 AM

47 posts, read 160,229 times
whoa, I'm reading bitter words here. What part of CONFIRMED information are we posting? We have a saying where I'm from: "No use complaining because no-one will listen."

(I hate that saying)..

Meanwhile I'm reading how the IRS will pay tax-cheat informants; Obama is hiring bounty hunters to sniff out health care fraud; and the government will pay homeowners to put their house up for short sales. See, government IS doing something to help the unemployed..

Old 03-10-2010, 09:16 AM

100 posts, read 308,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskkc View Post
"I deserve more", "gimme, gimme, gimme".
Well, that strategy sure does seem to be working for the banksters...

My only question to people is this; even during the 'good times' if you went/go to any city in the US, there was/is A LOT of poverty, you know, those 'other' folks. Did you really think they were all just lazy bums, sucking up 'entitlements'? Now that a large segment of the middle class is falling off, do you honestly expect that 'the system' won't let it happen to you? Not YOU! Now everyone wants to write their representative. They've been selling off our economy for years, rapidly during the past two decades, and no one seemed to care. That was the 'old' economy, right? Now we step into the harsh reality of what we all let happen to us, and that's going to be a tough cookie to swallow for a lot of people.

Last edited by coronadeluxe; 03-10-2010 at 09:30 AM..

Old 03-10-2010, 09:42 AM

189 posts, read 648,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by as2010 View Post
Nope that was just to extend the "time" to allow others the chance of going onto the next tier. There is no more extensions or help at this time for those of us who are on Tier 4 other then supposedly Sen Reid is working on a Tier 5. People need to contact their state senators Reid and Pelosi's offices and ask for a Tier 5.
how so? the must exhaust benefits by dates have not changed. a lot of people wont even see tier 2, which drives me crazy that some are demanding tier 5.

Old 03-10-2010, 11:22 AM

3,814 posts, read 11,988,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbr6864 View Post
how so? the must exhaust benefits by dates have not changed. a lot of people wont even see tier 2, which drives me crazy that some are demanding tier 5.
Actually, the cut-off dates for the EUC Tiers program have been continually extended. The most recent cut-off date of April 5, 2010, was set by the Temporary Extension Act of 2010 (HR 4691), which was signed into law by President Obama on March 2, 2010.

And things are looking very good for passage of another extension in the EUC Tier cut-off dates to year-end 2010.

That proposal has been offered as amendments to The Tax Extenders Act (HR 4213). It is expected to be passed by the Senate this week, and then goes to the House for a vote. Hopefully, the new extension will be in place when you exhaust your Tier I benefits in April.

While the federal government has capped the EUC Tier system at a maximum of 53 weeks, the reason they keep extending the cut-off dates is to ensure that more people are able to collect more of those 53 weeks.

It's not a solution to everyone's unemployment problem, but it's an attempt to give everyone a shot at the same number of Tier weeks.

Old 03-10-2010, 11:31 AM

199 posts, read 404,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coronadeluxe View Post
Well, that strategy sure does seem to be working for the banksters...

My only question to people is this; even during the 'good times' if you went/go to any city in the US, there was/is A LOT of poverty, you know, those 'other' folks. Did you really think they were all just lazy bums, sucking up 'entitlements'? Now that a large segment of the middle class is falling off, do you honestly expect that 'the system' won't let it happen to you? Not YOU! Now everyone wants to write their representative. They've been selling off our economy for years, rapidly during the past two decades, and no one seemed to care. That was the 'old' economy, right? Now we step into the harsh reality of what we all let happen to us, and that's going to be a tough cookie to swallow for a lot of people.

Old 03-10-2010, 11:32 AM

199 posts, read 404,746 times
Quote:
Well, that or get a job. Maybe start some training for a NEW career. But that seems desperate.

In 2001, a childhood friend of mine lost her job - the company moved to India. She was bitter and blamed Bush that she could only collect unemployment benefits for 18 months. Then she had to get a minimum wage job.

9 years later, she is still waiting for that job to come back. She's still working for minimum wage, she's 39 and living with her parents. She is convinced Obama and the democrats will save her and rants about Bush on her Facebook page and spends her evenings playing pool and whining that "it's not fair".

She's had NINE YEARS and is still blaming others. I wonder if she hadn't had 18 months of sitting around, if she would've done SOMETHING. She is part of a growing population in America "it's not my fault", "I deserve more", "gimme, gimme, gimme".

How many years of "unemployment" is enough? For some, it never will be. When we were facing unemployment, we started up our own business - but then again, we didn't have 99 weeks/2 years of unemployment to sit on. We spent 2 1/2 years struggling. Months of eating Ramen & generic PB to make sure the kids had milk.

Old 03-10-2010, 01:12 PM

1,828 posts, read 4,660,621 times
Quote:

While the idea might be good it isn't as simple as this in today's economy. You need to open your eyes up a little more if you think this was just your average everyday recession we are just maybe coming out of now. We are not there yet though and I do say a Tier 5 should be added until things really start getting going again. Good luck starting a business that will make you enough money to survive let alone it usually costs you money to do this anyways. I'm all for cutting it off when things get closer to normal but that time is not right now. I haven't been able to find work in 15 months now and it isn't for the lack of trying either. I want to keep my home so no I cant sit on my butt and live off of Unemployment. Let alone its only half of what I was making and it doesn't pay all my bills. I believe most people here want jobs and are NOT sitting around wanting a Tier 5. They are just looking for it because there are still not enough jobs to get them hired.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment