Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2010, 04:54 PM

244 posts, read 622,638 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by diorgirl View Post

..... this bill does not add any weeks of benefits to the EUC program.

So now we know for sure that Senate is not even considering a tier 5 at this time. No discussion at all yet this nonsense gets posted in a thread that the top starter clearly stated is only on facts about a tier 5. This now proves that there are none unfortunately.

That means that within about 6 weeks time, the US should reach about 1 million Americans with absolutely no source of income at all, having expired tier 4. Just as an estimate, lets say 40% are homeowners.. well watch how it effect the housing market now.(assuming no tier 5 ever comes into play) It will certainly be a dream come true for those looking to buy a home. I'm not even talking about foreclosures. People in this situation are going to be putting their homes up for sale cheap if there is no sign of a job or extension.. so that they wont get to the point of foreclosure. You haven't seen anything yet. I expect that this situation may also bring careful consideration for the goverment to, yet again, extend the 1st time homebuyer tax credit to keep "people in the houses"

Old 03-10-2010, 07:53 PM

5,346 posts, read 4,052,839 times
NELP is working on extending Tiers and adding weeks. There is no way over 1 million Americans will be without benefits. They are just dragging it out like they did last time.

Old 03-10-2010, 08:03 PM

478 posts, read 1,751,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HC475 View Post
NELP is working on extending Tiers and adding weeks. There is no way over 1 million Americans will be without benefits. They are just dragging it out like they did last time.
End of April its a tad over 2 million that exhausted all benefits.

Old 03-11-2010, 11:35 AM

5,346 posts, read 4,052,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlo2009 View Post
Looks like they are waiting to cross that bridge when they get to it.

Old 03-12-2010, 01:12 AM

285 posts, read 561,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlo2009 View Post

Sorry, Forgot where i read it. It will be "6 million" by the 3rd of April. It's way more than you think. If what i read was right.

Originally Posted by HC475

I agree. I just talked to someone in Washington a day or two ago. He said that the amount of calls and e-mails were getting more and more on this subject. He said that he himself was getting 25 calls a day about this not counting the E-mails. He also said that congress was well aware of all the calls. But right now they were keeping what they thought to themselves. I don't know exactly what that meant. Unless the Democrats are keeping quiet because of the Republicans, afraid they will try to block it before it ever gets started. Just my thought on that.

Last edited by LAID OFF & WORRIED N GA; 03-12-2010 at 01:26 AM..

Old 03-12-2010, 01:30 AM

2 posts, read 5,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAID OFF & WORRIED N GA View Post

Sorry, Forgot where i read it. It will be "6 million" by the 3rd of April. It's way more than you think.

I agree. I just talked to someone in Washington a day or two ago. He said that the amount of calls and e-mails were getting more and more on this subject. He said that he himself was getting 25 calls a day about this not counting the E-mails. He also said that congress was well aware of all the calls. But right now they were keeping what they thought to themselves. I don't know exactly what that meant. Unless the Democrats keeping quiet because of the Republicans afraid they will try to block it before it ever gets started. Just my thought on that.
I think 6 million was with the Feb 28th deadline. It sounds way too high for tier 4. I think back in nov when they originally added tier 4 they were saying like 1 million within the first month.

In any event, any further extension are going to be a tough sell to republicans and very conservative democrats (mr. nelson there), unless they use stimulus money (which they probably won').

Jumping right into more unemployment after extending it further, sort of, is a recipe for disaster. They'll let some healthcare debate take over, and then with about a week left, start up some unemployment talk again, when it's all cooled off.

It's not ideal, but it's probably the way it will be. As was the case in nov, there was about a 2 week lapse, and yeah, they got blasted for it, and after this last unemployment thing, it was bad too.

Bottom line is, until they find a way to get people back to work, they are going to have to continue to shell out money to keep people afloat. Welfare is an alternative, but so many states are broke and borrowing money from the gov't. We sell to china. It's a new ending cycle until someone smart actually comes up with some ideas that will work. not tax cuts, but job training and programs to actually get Americans back to work.

Old 03-12-2010, 06:28 AM

199 posts, read 404,493 times
Yesterday I WANTED Tier 5 ........Today I NEED Tier 5!!!!

Old 03-12-2010, 07:04 AM

139 posts, read 291,031 times
Same here. I'm trying to start my own business,and the way things are its going to be a slow process. I know the timming is bad but I have to give it a try. I have no choice. If it fails at least I can say I tryed.

Old 03-12-2010, 07:35 AM

1,828 posts, read 4,658,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monorati1405 View Post
Same here. I'm trying to start my own business,and the way things are its going to be a slow process. I know the timming is bad but I have to give it a try. I have no choice. If it fails at least I can say I tryed.
Good luck, The odds are against you.

Old 03-12-2010, 09:49 AM

84 posts, read 177,768 times
Is it my memory (laid off), or is this the first time a Tier(5) extension was not even discussed by the congress, this close to tier exhaustion? If so, not a good sign! Seems like all prior extensions were heartily promoted & proposed, well before the people fell off the rolls, all talk was about cobbling together enough votes/stingy repubs, etc.etc. Now, all of a sudden, "fiscal responsibility" seems to be on every politico's mind...I guess it is partially because Nov. 2010 is looming, and a nervous electoral body is doing a gut check on the HC bill (attn. moderator: I didn't say the "hc word")
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment