U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-29-2013, 10:01 AM
 
1,877 posts, read 2,705,778 times
Reputation: 5686

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
Ghosts are nothing more than beings passing between the folds of the Multiverse.

Nothing to do with heaven or gods.....
I agree - seems to be multi dimensions and somehow, when we pass, that is what we do; pass into another place. Perhaps heaven is when we pass to where are favorite pets, people, and times are. So do we make our own reality by wishing it so? In the Indian book, Bagavad Ghita, there is one line that says "he who believes in the spirits will dwell in the land of the spirits", as it refers to the after life. I like to think because there is no big god, there is no big devil, so there is not heaven and there is not hell. I'll keep focusing on that happy place my mind has created.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-29-2013, 11:08 AM
 
15,921 posts, read 18,430,538 times
Reputation: 7661
When I die the absolute last thing I want is to still be part of mankind.

If, when I die my spirit is liberated from this physical body I want to wander the Multiverse experiencing it's wonders....

Screw mankind, my family and friends? I love them dearly but the prospect of spending eternity with them? No thanks, I want broader horizons...

And if my spirit will last for all eternity I'm sure I'll bump into family and friends again...

To this day am still waiting for accredited concrete proof ghosts exist....

~ not ambiguous shadows in a photo or video

~ not someone claiming they saw/spoke with a dead family member

~ not some unexplained light source

As others here have said, people believe what they want (but it doesn't make it fact or real)..

Last edited by plwhit; 03-29-2013 at 11:27 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-29-2013, 03:14 PM
 
Location: Sinking in the Great Salt Lake
13,145 posts, read 20,543,033 times
Reputation: 14053
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper03 View Post
What about the possibility that ghosts are a purely physical phenomenon and may have nothing to do with the existence of any gods/heaven etc? I lean toward being agnostic but have had experiences with hauntings. Maybe they are trapped energy that exist within the physical universe and will also cease to exist after the universe collapses? Just some thoughts...what do you guys think?
I think chances are MUCH better that ghosts are natural phenomenon than dying and finding out you are a disembodied mind on it's way to the pearly gates to meet your maker.

Remember religon came about as an attempt to answer tough questions on the human experience. Religon did tell us we were in the center of the universe and that rainbows are around to make us feel better about the whole "Noah incident" (among other things that are just plain silly); I suspect they don't have the whole soul/heaven/hell thing right either.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-30-2013, 04:05 AM
 
Location: Louisville KY
4,610 posts, read 4,567,096 times
Reputation: 3986
Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
If ghosts are real why can't every one see them? How can there be any self aware beings after the brain dies? If energy simply changes form what happens to our electrical energy? Logical thinking for me dictates that paranormal experiences shouldn't be. Life after the brain dies is nothingness. If energy changes form it should disappear into the vastness. Yet Ive had many paranormal experiences that I can't explain. The little 85 bed hospital where I currently work is haunted and I've had three strange experiences two in the same room and one across the hall from that same room. I've had strange experiences my entire life that I simply don't understand. Things move when I'm around and a coworker was with me when this has happened on two different occasions at different hospitals. Is it coming from me? If so how do you explain the footsteps going up the stairs that woke me up while I was sleeping on the couch? The dog and I jumped up to try and see it but nothing was there. What if it's just a part of the brain that is more developed in some and not others? What if being labeled psychic means you are just more in tune with the cadence and rhythms of life? Like when I told John not to get out of the stock market because it would go up and it did, 900 points after he panicked about the sequester and put everything in a fixed account. How did I know it was a mistake for him to sell? I wish I had the answers so I'll just have to keep an open mind. Is there a God? I hope so for those that feel the need for it. I'm OK with a long life and nothingness after that.
Energy does not dissapte. It is transfered. This is simple physics, everyone should know. You drive down the street; kinetic energy, you stop; thermal energy. Kinetic energy is transfered via your brakes to thermal energy. Energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transfered. Ghost and spirits like us are living energy, from the electrical impulses in our body to the heat we give off. They dont need to be seen by anyone if they dont want to be. It is not about believing their existance. Some people like me can feel and rarely see them. I show respect and try not to **** them off. They are sentient- we know this, hoe or why? Well why does anything do anything? Why do we not consider ourselves animals, when we are not made of stone or feed through photosynthesis?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-30-2013, 10:44 AM
 
15,921 posts, read 18,430,538 times
Reputation: 7661
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxRhapsody View Post
Energy does not dissapte. It is transfered. This is simple physics, everyone should know. You drive down the street; kinetic energy, you stop; thermal energy. Kinetic energy is transfered via your brakes to thermal energy. Energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transfered. Ghost and spirits like us are living energy, from the electrical impulses in our body to the heat we give off. They dont need to be seen by anyone if they dont want to be. It is not about believing their existance. Some people like me can feel and rarely see them. I show respect and try not to **** them off. They are sentient- we know this, hoe or why? Well why does anything do anything? Why do we not consider ourselves animals, when we are not made of stone or feed through photosynthesis?
How do we know they are sentient?

Just because someone says they are?

Last edited by plwhit; 03-30-2013 at 11:09 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-02-2013, 07:03 PM
 
Location: PRC
4,719 posts, read 4,144,592 times
Reputation: 4201
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit
To this day am still waiting for accredited concrete proof ghosts exist....
~ not ambiguous shadows in a photo or video
~ not someone claiming they saw/spoke with a dead family member
~ not some unexplained light source
Unfortunately, no amount of 'proof' will ever convince you, you have to just hope that you get given the experience which will 'prove' it to yourself. Yes, you can see and read this kind of proof everywhere, but how do you explain something which we have no way of measuring yet? People have to describe what they sense in ways which they feel expresses the situation they experienced. We are all sorry if it does not satisfy your personal need to find proof.

You are asking something to fit into the framework of science - but it does not. As science stands at the moment, it does not acknowledge things which it cannot measure, prod, poke, take readings of, or do repeatable experiments on. (excuse my terrible English) How can you use this as a basis for your 'proof' which you require to feel better about your life and death? It is a belief which you either have or do not have, and as such, cannot EVER have any 'proof' whatsoever with the way our science currently stands.

Requiring proof is a way to justify your current beliefs because you feel safe with the 'reality' you think you know. Your 'reality' is one in which you can touch, see, smell, etc.
Unfortunately, this is not real 'reality' because you and I have a very very very limited experience of 'reality' as it truly exists to others who are not so limited as we are. What if there were 30 or more other senses which we did not acknowledge? Elephants can find water many miles away. Birds have direction-finding abilities. Dogs can smell 10,000x better than we can. Isn't it just possible that there are other senses which are out there but we have lost or cannot detect?

In my experience, your mind is separate from your brain and is the piece of our anatomy which receives all these other energies from around us. The brain on the other hand, is a physical item inside our skull, and receives these impressions from our mind and interprets these into feelings and senses we can understand in our 3D world. We may not be able to explain these feelings and senses but at least we experience them.

The mind is multi-dimensional and this is what interacts with the collective consciousness of all things. I advise an indepth trip into the world of dowsing to find out more how things fit together. Logical people are good at that and since dowsing is only our body moving the pendulum in response to received energies, it is a way to bridge the gap between mind and body and will help in the explanation of these energy issues.

'sentient' is just a word which means something to us. It places a judgement on 'something' which is 'sentient'. If you start with the understanding that everything, all energy, is sentient, then your wiew of the world is totally changed because then it means that everything is aware of you at some level acording to the level it can sense you. For example, it has been shown by experiment that house plants can recognise a human entering the room. That is sentient, but it may not be good enough for your 'definition' which you want to place on it.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-02-2013, 08:19 PM
 
15,921 posts, read 18,430,538 times
Reputation: 7661
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post
Unfortunately, no amount of 'proof' will ever convince you, you have to just hope that you get given the experience which will 'prove' it to yourself. Yes, you can see and read this kind of proof everywhere, but how do you explain something which we have no way of measuring yet? People have to describe what they sense in ways which they feel expresses the situation they experienced. We are all sorry if it does not satisfy your personal need to find proof.
One thing that has been observed concerning mankind is the amount of things people imagine what they see is endless.

We as humans can't pick and choose what we demand as far as scientific proof but on the other side of the coin must believe on faith other things....

I have stated in this forum before I have seen wisps of a dark shadow in my hallway.

Does that PROVE to me ghosts exist?

I have stated in this forum before I woke up a couple of times last month to a light pressure on my bed late at night and I thought it was my dead mother...

Does that PROVE life after death?

Why is it so hard for people to say there are many many things in this Multiverse that we don't understand and we don't know, period.....

Nope, it's gotta be ghosts, spirits of our dead departed, aliens, intergalactic star ships, energy from the Dark Side etc....

God forbid we say: GEEZ, I DON'T KNOW
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-02-2013, 10:35 PM
 
15,921 posts, read 18,430,538 times
Reputation: 7661
I forgot to add:

And neither does science or religion or any sane person...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-03-2013, 12:23 AM
 
Location: Vineland, NJ
8,542 posts, read 11,338,054 times
Reputation: 5538
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
One thing that has been observed concerning mankind is the amount of things people imagine what they see is endless.

We as humans can't pick and choose what we demand as far as scientific proof but on the other side of the coin must believe on faith other things....

I have stated in this forum before I have seen wisps of a dark shadow in my hallway.

Does that PROVE to me ghosts exist?

I have stated in this forum before I woke up a couple of times last month to a light pressure on my bed late at night and I thought it was my dead mother...

Does that PROVE life after death?

Why is it so hard for people to say there are many many things in this Multiverse that we don't understand and we don't know, period.....

Nope, it's gotta be ghosts, spirits of our dead departed, aliens, intergalactic star ships, energy from the Dark Side etc....

God forbid we say: GEEZ, I DON'T KNOW
Lets just say hypothetically you see a ghost of a dead relative randomly appear in front and then disappear. Would you just assume you saw nothing unless you can scientifically prove that you saw something even though your rationality tells you that you did indeed see your dead relative that has passed away stand right in front of you. I have nothing against science but don't you think that viewpoint is a little extreme. I mean C'mon.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-03-2013, 12:40 AM
 
Location: Logan Township, Minnesota
15,511 posts, read 14,729,741 times
Reputation: 7480
I see the possibility of entities people might interpret as "Ghosts". But I do not believe these entities are disembodied souls wandering around without their bodies. We live this life. It ends and at that point our interaction with the physical realm is over, until the resurrection.

There probably are many explanations for ghosts. But wandering souls is not one of them.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top