Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2013, 12:34 AM

4,856 posts, read 5,823,013 times

Advertisements

I dont fear death, not ghost to a point. I dont believe in heaven or hell either, nor the god of christian, judaism or similar. My religious views have nothing to do with ghost.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2013, 03:26 AM

6,948 posts, read 6,874,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxRhapsody View Post
I dont fear death, not ghost to a point. I dont believe in heaven or hell either, nor the god of christian, judaism or similar. My religious views have nothing to do with ghost.
You only have to ask yourself some simple questions about this and you cannot help but touch on some very personal issues. It is like going down Alice in Wonderland's rabbit hole. One question leads to another to another to another.

Most religions that I know about have some view on ghosts. As far as I know, they do not say they simply dont exist because so many people have experienced an event which was real to them. It would be useless of any religion or belief system to deny what their members are experiencing, but it would make much more sense for them to explain it in terms of their beliefs.

If we dont have religious beliefs, then how do we explain the experiences that people have? Science would probably say that it was a trick of the brain or a chemical imbalance in the body.

Anyone believing in ghosties has to have some opinion on where they come from or where they 'hang out'. From there it leads to - if they exist what are they, because some appear to be malevolent and intelligent beings?

Old 04-16-2013, 09:06 AM

315 posts, read 256,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper03 View Post
What about the possibility that ghosts are a purely physical phenomenon and may have nothing to do with the existence of any gods/heaven etc? I lean toward being agnostic but have had experiences with hauntings. Maybe they are trapped energy that exist within the physical universe and will also cease to exist after the universe collapses? Just some thoughts...what do you guys think?
I don't think anyone can say that spirits are not real. But I don't think there is absolute proof either. What passes for proof for one person may not for the next. I personally doubt that they exist. But I can't say they don't. I just keep looking because I like to for entertainment and also we just don't know.

Old 04-24-2013, 08:05 PM

1,959 posts, read 3,102,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
In the realm of mind, anything is possible.

Ily Lilly.

There is a well known "theory" that one will have according to his beliefs. That goes for ghosts, gods, hell, and heaven. Remember - we are all creatures of mental matter, one that dreams are made out of, and in that realm - EVRYTHING is possible, according to ones firm beliefs. So Christians will be sitting with Christ in the city of Zion, Muslims will be enjoying their heaven with beautiful virgins, and so on and so on. I do not envy those who have no faith. But Greeks already came up with one for them either - eternal wondering with no memories of what they are and where they are.
Ah but you see, those of us with no religious faith have other beliefs and IF we do "go" to what we believe, then I've already created my "heaven". So no, we won't be wondering why we have no memories or where we are. We create our own reality.

Old 04-24-2013, 11:54 PM

3,183 posts, read 7,204,711 times
If you admit to there being ghost you admit to the existence of a super natural world. GOD is also a part of the supernatural .You can not limit who or what is in a super natural world that you know little about other than it is real...THE HOLY GHOST is real and if you ever meet up with it you will never doubt it again....If you have never met IT you really don't know what I am talking about.......others here will agree

Old 05-17-2013, 01:02 AM

6,948 posts, read 6,874,954 times
Trouble with all this is that any being who has been around for a few million years (compared to our thousands) would have evolved technology that we would think is miraculous. That would make them God in our 'stoneage' eyes. This is what people do not seem to take into account.

IF there are aliens, then they have been around a lot longer than we have, which means they could be our ghosties, our God, our Holy Spirit, anything in fact which we cannot explain. An ant going about its business sees a huge foot come down and 'land' in front of it and then take off again. That foot was a psychic experience and could not be explained in the way other things can be explained in the context of the life being lived therefore the ant will make up some plausible to him explanation.

Exactly what we do in religion and any other belief system.

Old 05-18-2013, 08:11 PM

7,201 posts, read 14,993,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairfax Mom View Post
Thinking there is no heaven or God is very depressing to me. Makes life seem unmeaningful.
How does the thought of, or a belief in a God make your life meaningful?

Old 05-20-2013, 09:05 AM

1,589 posts, read 2,134,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairfax Mom View Post
Thinking there is no heaven or God is very depressing to me. Makes life seem unmeaningful.

Is it because God represents someone who knows you and takes care of you and we all like to have that someone.

And heaven represents a future happy life? And we would like to hope for it.

maybe those things still exist without god or heaven...

I believe that ghosts are glitches/mistakes of life system. Just like birth defects are mistakes of life system or two heads born in the same body or still births. Ghosts are different from spirits. Spirits do exist in my world view. I don't believe in God/heaven/hell of the Bible. But I do believe in the afterlife.

Last edited by LoveWisdom; 05-20-2013 at 09:33 AM..

Old 05-20-2013, 12:19 PM

588 posts, read 796,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveWisdom View Post
I don't believe in God/heaven/hell of the Bible. But I do believe in the afterlife.
If you don't mind my asking, is that belief based on anything more than wishful thinking?

Old 05-20-2013, 08:09 PM

1,589 posts, read 2,134,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Data1000 View Post
If you don't mind my asking, is that belief based on anything more than wishful thinking?
It's not just wishful thinking (from my perspective). It's most likely just wishful thinking (from your perspective.)

Each of our brains processes the information heard and reaches conclusions.

My brain has (based on all the input) calculated the conclusion that afterlife exists. Some other people's brains have calculated that it doesn't.

Is there proof? yes and no

because some people's brains will process the information and decide that it's proof enough. Other people's brains will reject the information as proof.

And therefore, the question still remains unanswered except in individual people's minds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal