Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2016, 05:33 PM

6,344 posts, read 4,411,272 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
I don't think anyone is arguing that 15 F isn't cold, because it obviously is. As I've said about a million times, Atlanta can and will get cold during the winter and sometimes bitterly so. It dropped to 6 F in 2014 in Atlanta.

That type of weather is a lot of times counterbalanced by warm weather though, There is plenty of 60 and 70 degree days in Atlanta during winter as well.

I'm comparing average temperatures in winter vs. summer in Atlanta, which is roughly 50 F vs. 90 F. Tell me 50 F is more dangerous than 90 F.

15 F isn't an ordinary temperature in Atlanta. Happens once or twice a winter, and sometimes doesn't even occur at all.

It can also get into upper 90s and even top 100 F in summer in Atlanta too. That weather can kill anyone that's doing the slightest of exertion.

I can go run for an hour at 50 F with ease, at 90 F it'll be tough.
Well on the subject of heat tolerance here is my personal story. I have fasted in the summer time and went outside, ran, did work, all in temps in the mid 90s with summer sun angle, I sweat alotttt and would have to wait to almost 9 o clock before I could drink a cup of water, I survived.

Even more extreme is my dads story, when he was 15 he went to work during the summer time as a construction worker, this is in the 1980s, there is less technology, its Kuwait so there is even less technology than a 1980s America so his job was even harder, not only that its summer time and he was fasting, imagine working all day in temps around 110 with very high humidity and a scorching desert sun, doing not just work but a rigourous job like construction work, he told me him and all the other men would fast and survive it all. Idk about you but fasting, doing construction work, in mid july, in freaking Kuwait, in triple digit heat with high humidity, no relief from the sun, and not drinking water, hell its hard enough to do without fasting try to do it while fasting. Im going to go to football workouts during June while fasting, lets see how it goes. Point is you can survive 90 very easy, too easy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2016, 05:34 PM

5,271 posts, read 4,684,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majami View Post
Why sleep in a duvet? Isn't it too warm? Afterall it traps air, allows it warm up to 80s. And you sleep in that? yuck Sleep in comfortable 60s
Well, I sleep in a duvet because I like pressure. And it's not comparable to being in the 90's outside, just because I don't sleep with my whole body under the blanket, but I usually keep my head and arms outside, thus making me feel cooler (I only sleep with my head under the blanket when I've seen a horror movie or have read something scary on the Internet, or when I'm scared in general).

I can sleep without blankets, but I very rarely do so because I need pressure, rather than warmth.

Old 04-06-2016, 05:36 PM

892 posts, read 861,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EverBlack View Post
but I very rarely do so because I need pressure, rather than warmth.
Your getting warmth, despite that your heads and arms are outside, and maybe your feet, your body core is kept in the 80s.

Old 04-06-2016, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muslim12 View Post
Well on the subject of heat tolerance here is my personal story. I have fasted in the summer time and went outside, ran, did work, all in temps in the mid 90s with summer sun angle, I sweat alotttt and would have to wait to almost 9 o clock before I could drink a cup of water, I survived.

Even more extreme is my dads story, when he was 15 he went to work during the summer time as a construction worker, this is in the 1980s, there is less technology, its Kuwait so there is even less technology than a 1980s America so his job was even harder, not only that its summer time and he was fasting, imagine working all day in temps around 110 with very high humidity and a scorching desert sun, doing not just work but a rigourous job like construction work, he told me him and all the other men would fast and survive it all. Idk about you but fasting, doing construction work, in mid july, in freaking Kuwait, in triple digit heat with high humidity, no relief from the sun, and not drinking water, hell its hard enough to do without fasting try to do it while fasting. Im going to go to football workouts during June while fasting, lets see how it goes. Point is you can survive 90 very easy, too easy.
That's like saying surviving 10 in Minneapolis is very easy, too easy just because someone has survived all day with -10 in Fairbanks. It doesn't prove anything. At 90 it's surely easier than 110, but that doesn't take off the fact that 90 is still very uncomfortable and most people would prefer the 60's. 110 is immediately dangerous (even if your dad survived), 90 takes some time to kill, but you should still be careful with those high temperatures.

Old 04-06-2016, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EverBlack View Post
That's like saying surviving 10 in Minneapolis is very easy, too easy just because someone has survived all day with -10 in Fairbanks. It doesn't prove anything. At 90 it's surely easier than 110, but that doesn't take off the fact that 90 is still very uncomfortable and most people would prefer the 60's. 110 is immediately dangerous (even if your dad survived), 90 takes some time to kill, but you should still be careful with those high temperatures.
90s is not dangerous at all, you can survive indefinitely in that air temperature provided you have water. But then you need water in all climates.

10 is not indefinitely survivable no matter what clothing, you need shelter.

Old 04-06-2016, 05:44 PM

173 posts, read 159,828 times
Quote:
In an equivalent scenario - short sleeves and shorts, 100 F is much more comfortable to survive than 50 degrees. This is true for all human beings.
You can't speak for everyone. Clearly the average person can dress properly for 50 F than 100 F. There's only so much you can take off when its 100 F. I can't speak for everyone either, so I think most people would prefer 50 F than 100 F, if dressing properly depending on their cold tolerance.

Old 04-06-2016, 05:47 PM

173 posts, read 159,828 times
Quote:
90s is not dangerous at all, you can survive indefinitely in that air temperature provided you have water. But then you need water in all climates.

If 10 F is not survivable tell that to the people living and experiencing Minneapolis winters.

Old 04-06-2016, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyc_Anyday_Everyday View Post
so I think most people would prefer 50 F than 100 F, if dressing properly depending on their cold tolerance.
I doubt it: Most Like It Hot | Pew Research Center

If someone can find a better poll, please post it.

Old 04-06-2016, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyc_Anyday_Everyday View Post
If 10 F is not survivable tell that to the people living and experiencing Minneapolis winters.
They don't live outside, they live in shelters. Houses. Homeless shelters. The skywalks.

Old 04-06-2016, 05:51 PM

Quote:

To me they're about equal. They're both brutal (I'm not defending 10, if you're wondering, I hate that temperature so much, like I hate 90).

During the 2003 European Heat Wave tens of thousands of people died.

I don't get why you're comparing those two temperatures, though, as they are the same to me.

More like 60 and 90, what do you think? I think 60 is MUCH better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather