Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which one is more subtropical?
NZ 4 16.67%
Virginia 12 50.00%
Both in their way 3 12.50%
Not sure it is too hard to really know 0 0%
Depends what part of each place 5 20.83%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2024, 12:15 AM

901 posts, read 348,968 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandshark View Post
NZ reaches the low 20s in every winter month
Lol no it doesn't
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2024, 12:18 AM

389 posts, read 101,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesterlyWX View Post
Lol no it doesn't
About one in five July's won't make 20 c, but most July's and all june/ Aug will see 20 c+

Old 03-20-2024, 12:29 AM

Quote:
About one in five July's won't make 20 c, but most July's and all june/ Aug will see 20 c+
Can I see this data please

Old 03-20-2024, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Can I see this data please
Check out cliflo. I encourage posters to do their own research, helps build better neural networks etc.

Old 03-20-2024, 12:36 AM

2,831 posts, read 1,416,590 times
Edit 2: I guess I'll keep the conversation going.

Last edited by Can't think of username; 03-20-2024 at 01:08 AM..

Old 03-20-2024, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Can't think of username View Post
I've got a question for you: leaving aside for a second that I don't use the term 'subtropical' anymore because Cfa as-is matches what I want to know about the reasons the Cfa climates get the weather they do, what do you think about the definition of subtropical when it comes to having fish in a tank?

It's kind of the opposite of what you say most people think the word subtropical means for vegetation. Fish considered subtropical are considered to be that way since they must either have some or all of the year with a considerable cool-down of colder temperatures than tropical fish (and I know people whose subtropical fish are dormant for several months at a time) so in this sense they are more evolved for a cold season - if you don't give this to them they may live shorter or end up with devastating bacterial infections.

By subtropical fish I mean fish from between 25-40N or S.
Good point, and I guess like vegetation, the requirements of the native species will be the best indication. Don't pay much attention to the fresh water natives here, but cockabully species seem active all winter as do crays, shrimps eels etc, and they seem to like basking in the shallows where the sun warms the water during winter, but also thrive in creeks that are too warm for introduced trout during summer.

Sea species are different because many are migratory. There are several species of tuna here during summer, which need the temperature at depth to reach about 19 c, which while not that warm, certainly isn't cold.

Only tank critters we've had has been some turtles someone dumped on us, and they escaped after a big shake. They were in a large pond for a while, then they just gone one day. Kingfishers maybe.

Last edited by sandshark; 03-20-2024 at 01:10 AM..

Old 03-20-2024, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Check out cliflo. I encourage posters to do their own research, helps build better neural networks etc.
Except cliflo data is behind a paywall... which is why I'm asking YOU as apparently YOU have access to said data. Provide me either with an exact directory/link or with a screenshot of the data. Shouldn't be too hard... unless ofcourse you're making it up.

Old 03-20-2024, 01:16 AM

2,831 posts, read 1,416,590 times
Quote:
Good question, and I guess like vegetation, the requirements of the native species will be the best indication. Don't pay much attention to the fresh water natives here, but cockabully species seem active all winter as do crays, shrimps eels etc, and they seem to like basking in the shallows where the sun warms the water during winter, but also thrive in creeks that are too warm for introduced trout during summer.

Sea species are different because many are migratory. There are several species of tuna here during summer, which need the temperature at depth to reach about 19 c, which while not that warm, certainly isn't cold.

Only tank critters we've had has been some turtles someone dumped on us, and they escaped after a big shake. They were in a large pond for a while, then they just gone one day. Kingfishers maybe.
I think if we're going off of the native requirements than some pretty substantial dormancy would be very acceptable for subtropical fish. This person's subtropical plecos, etc appear to have been doing well in a more dormant and slowed down state at temperatures of 13-16C for at least 4 months which falls within the range of Virginia's low sun season ocean temperatures in both temperature and duration: https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/f....753985/page-2

Old 03-20-2024, 01:19 AM

Quote:
Except cliflo data is behind a paywall... which is why I'm asking YOU as apparently YOU have access to said data. Provide me either with an exact directory/link or with a screenshot of the data. Shouldn't be too hard... unless ofcourse you're making it up.
It' not behind a pay wall.Maybe it just doesn't like aussies?

I'll check the last 39 years ( which I've done before), but that won't be screen shotable. As for links, my computer competency journey hasn't reached that point yet

20 c is only 4-6 c warmer for most towns, so somewhere will reach it, hardly a wild swing of biblical proportions.

Old 03-20-2024, 01:52 AM

July highest temperature for nz each year since 2002

22.0c
20.4c
20.2c
22.2c
20.5c
18.3c
22.9c
21.2c
22.7c
21.9c
22.6c
19.1c
19.0c
20.8c
22.3c
19.2c
22.3c
21.6c
20.0c
21.0c
22.6c
21.9c
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather