Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2008, 08:20 PM

14,327 posts, read 14,627,647 times

Advertisements

I don't start layering clothes, well, December this year, usually January but Dec. has been bizarre! I stop layering in the end of February so usually just 2 months, 3 this year.

It is cold tonight, 9 maybe, and windy so I just turn on my heatilater gas fireplace and the livingroom is toasty!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2008, 09:11 PM

2 posts, read 5,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joee View Post
ok i'll be the outcast, i flat out hate cold i see no good about it in any way, shape or form.

have to wear tons of clothes, shake & shiver, snow & ice, your entire body hurts, it makes life 10 times more difficult.
forget about doing anything outside, and if you have to work out in it for 8 hrs just makes for pure misery.

i.

THANNKKK YOUUUU..

There is NO use for the snow cold than to make you miserable, give you a heart attack shoveling, cause accidents, or power outages so you can freeze to death. White Christmas is AWESOME when you wake up early to shovel so the guest can get over, take out the dog and slip on your butt, then bring in the dog who's now soaked and has clumps of snow hanging off him and will now make your couch and anything he lays on wet.

No you CANNOT put on more to get warmer. I've experienced this first hand. At -22 degrees it doesn't matter what you have on, its friggin cold. Your coat fits over only so many sweaters and then you sweat when you do any kind of activity which itself is dangerous or have to go to the store and lug around all these articles of clothing. You're constantly either wet or shivering or sweating then shivering.

Your heating costs are always through the roof, you have to wake up way ealier to heat the car/scrape the ice/shovel it out/ extend your travel time to work or wherever. There are very limited outside activities. Sometimes its just too darn cold to ski, ice skate, sled ride and when it gets into the negatives, which it does quite often its too dangerous..

I could go on..

The heat however means the pool, the beach, a pina colata, day on the boat even in Jan, beach, or making homemade ice cream or a key lime pie.Its not hot all year round just like everyone says winter is only a couple months, so is summer.. BTW I had snow on the ground for 8 months last year Oct-May (infact we had a snow storm in may). Longer than I saw warmer temps where I live now.

I'd rather wear a tank top and shorts and sandals than 2 pairs of socks, long johns, jeans over that, ski pants over that, a long sleeve shirt, another over that, a fleece, sweater then coat, hat, scarf, gloves and boots... hmmm take 3 mins to get dressed or 10 mins.. then come home wet and shivering, or wet covered in sand from a nice day at the beach or on the boat...

not a hard choice.. but hey I'm happy don't have to worry about that cold crap anymore.. I moved to Florida!

Old 12-31-2008, 09:16 PM

2,905 posts, read 7,351,828 times
Uuuuhhhhhhhhh! I shiver at the thought of -25 degrees!

No, that would not be to my liking. Somewhere around 5 or 10, or higher if the wind is really whipping, I start feeling like I am sick of the cold.

Although I generally agree with you.

When it's cold you can get warm.

When it's hotter than hell there's not much you can do about it if you don't have AC, or if you need to be outside.

It snowed here today!!!!! My yard is pretty again but I do have a snowblowing job tomorrow because my little one was sick I couldn't get to it today.

I hope she is better tomorrow so she can go play in the snow.

That is why I don't mind the cold, really.

If you live in a warm climate, you don't get to have the joys of winter.

If you live in a cold climate, you not only get the joys of winter, and the joys of summer, but you appreciate all seasons that much more. You get the best of everything!

Old 01-01-2009, 08:07 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,198,668 times
also a disadvantage of the cold----------a city near me enacted an ordinance that you must have the sidewalks bare of snow within 48 hours or a crew does it for a very hefty charge and the city bills you.

The ordinance used to say--" with in 24 hours"------but people complained that wasn't enough time.

I hope those people realize that in MN ( many times) during and shortly after a snowfall is usually milder temps.

Many times once a snow storm quits, a new weather system is moving in with high preasure that sends temps plunging.

Best to clean your sidewalks immediately after the snow quits or you might be doing it 2 days later in bitterly cold weather.

Old 01-01-2009, 09:41 AM

26,429 posts, read 46,607,911 times
I was just outside for a quite awhile with the wind chill at -25F. It didn't feel too terrible with the sun out. The only unpleasant part was the sudden gusts of wind.

Old 01-01-2009, 10:32 AM

Two Rivers charges 75.00 after 24 hrs., used to be 50.00 but I just read in the paper that they raised it this winter season. They ticket cars in streets between midnite and 6 a.m., alot of cities have odd/even but Two Rivers wants cars totally off the street.

Old 01-03-2009, 11:59 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,454,401 times
UGH, one of my pet peeves is when I read something in our local newspaper and then can't find it on the online newspaper and have to go hunt for it. Twice today this has happened.

Anyway, just found this interesting and wanted to share it with you.

Dr. Donohue: Frostbite and how to prevent it | thetowntalk.com | The Town Talk

What I found fascinating was the fact that medically speaking, people really don't just "get use to" the cold.

Old 01-03-2009, 12:08 PM

Thanks, very interesting reading and things I didn't know!

Old 01-06-2009, 08:01 AM

9,589 posts, read 27,816,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommytotwo View Post
If you live in a cold climate, you not only get the joys of winter,
and the joys of summer,
but you appreciate all seasons that much more.
You get the best of everything!

Um, no!...
I totally wish that were true about the joys of summer
but for me, it definitely is not.
I live in a climate similar to Buffalo NY.

I do not have "the joys of summer"
because 84 F (29 C) is not quite warm enough to feel like summer...
Up here we rarely get even 30 days at 86+ F, even in "hotter" summers.
I hate "distinctly-cool" weather in summer,
and 80-90% of the time it is 74 F or lower with a breeze during sunset.
(while it's light/just before dark)

Basically,
we do not experience "real summers"
but spring-like summers with but a few brief periods of summer-weather.
(in normal years)

Spring is not typically warm-and-pleasant,
but mild-cold or cool and breezy with but a few warm days.

Fall is typically mild-cold with almost-zero sunshine and lots of wind.

Last edited by ColdCanadian; 01-06-2009 at 08:22 AM..

Old 01-09-2009, 11:12 AM

443 posts, read 2,136,260 times
I think it has something to do with where you were raised. If you were raised in Minnesota you probably like the cold over someonew who was raised in sounthern california.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather