Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2009, 09:49 AM

5,054 posts, read 6,900,317 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
SAB, that's a good point. I never thought of it that way.
iT is a god point, isnt it! Cold is biting, frigid, unpleasant, and is actually painfull when you get temps below freezing, while warm is uncomfortable at worst.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2009, 10:41 AM

1,434 posts, read 3,969,104 times
I would rather spend an entire January in Minnesota than to spend an entire July in humid as hell Florida.

Old 01-13-2009, 03:43 PM

14,327 posts, read 14,625,905 times
I'll take the cold months, too. Hot as a furnace and humid as a steam bath, doesn't thrill me!

Old 01-13-2009, 10:54 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,954,464 times
Cold weather REALLY REALLY SUCKS. Boring lifeless. Dead plants, sun hardly shines, Give me HOT HUMID FLORIDA ANYDAY OVER ANYWHERE UP NORTH DURING THE WINTER YUCK.

Old 01-13-2009, 11:00 PM

[quote=I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA;6969635]You mean in the summer? It's still way too humid in the summer, even after dark, the only good thing is you don't have the sun beating down on you after dark.[/quote

I've been to Houston plenty of times. And I agree it is still humid at night. But it isnt NEARLY as bad during the day. When I went to Houston when it was too hot during the day we just went out at nigth and it felt waaaay better. But in COLD places if it's too cold during the day it's even worse at NIGHT. At least in the summer time the TEMP changes drastically at night time. You NEVER get that convenient weather change in winter. It goes from bad to worse as the sun goes down in the winter, YUCK. That is EXACTLY what is happening here in NC, it REALLY REALLY SUCKS. It's funny because you can see the FEAR and MISERY on peoples faces before they walk outside lol. They put there gloves and so forth on themselves it's halarious. I hate having to deal with that for another 2 months GROSS.

Old 01-13-2009, 11:12 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,142,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier View Post
Why do people have such an aversion to cold weather? I love, love, love cold weather. My feeling is, you can always put more clothes on to stay warm, sleep with flannel sheets and cuddle by the fire with your significant other...or your puppy.

Hot weather to me (anything above 85, depending on humidity) is absolutely awful. Only so many clothes to take off. My wife knows when I've had enough of summer when I begin closing the curtains, crank up the a/c, pull out a blanket and watch Christmas movies.

So what is it about cold weather that bothers people?

PS: yes, I live in Minnesota...the coldest weather I've been in while living here is -40 with the windchill, which was tooooo cold for me. I can handle/enjoy up to -25 and then it's time to stay inside!
I like to wear as few clothes as possible and am usually naked in the house. In the winter, unless you keep your heat at 75 degrees you are bound to feel the cold. The day I put on socks in my own house pigs WILL fly.

When you go out it is SUCH A HASSLE. Sweaters, coats, hats, gloves. yeeeesh. I just stay home rather than have to deal with THAT.

Missouri is too cold for me. I would much prefer S. Texas or Florida. I don't mind the heat as long as there is air conditioning. I am not an outdoor person in any season.

20yrsinBranson

Old 01-14-2009, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
I like to wear as few clothes as possible and am usually naked in the house. In the winter, unless you keep your heat at 75 degrees you are bound to feel the cold. The day I put on socks in my own house pigs WILL fly.

When you go out it is SUCH A HASSLE. Sweaters, coats, hats, gloves. yeeeesh. I just stay home rather than have to deal with THAT.

Missouri is too cold for me. I would much prefer S. Texas or Florida. I don't mind the heat as long as there is air conditioning. I am not an outdoor person in any season.

20yrsinBranson
I definetly feel you on this one.

Old 01-14-2009, 02:07 AM

1,492 posts, read 7,715,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier View Post
Why do people have such an aversion to cold weather? I love, love, love cold weather. My feeling is, you can always put more clothes on to stay warm, sleep with flannel sheets and cuddle by the fire with your significant other...or your puppy.

Hot weather to me (anything above 85, depending on humidity) is absolutely awful. Only so many clothes to take off. My wife knows when I've had enough of summer when I begin closing the curtains, crank up the a/c, pull out a blanket and watch Christmas movies.

So what is it about cold weather that bothers people?

PS: yes, I live in Minnesota...the coldest weather I've been in while living here is -40 with the windchill, which was tooooo cold for me. I can handle/enjoy up to -25 and then it's time to stay inside!
Why? Because it hurts! Many people find cold weather hurts down to the bone. Those that aren't affected-probably love the cold.

Old 01-14-2009, 08:12 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,451,343 times
OH gosh, I would love to only have to go through 2 months of winter a year.

NC does get pretty chilly, but it's short lived and it's not the horrifying cold that the upper Midwest has. Missouri is better then up here, too but you seem to get the ice storms down there.

I also hate bundling up, but there are just no alternatives right now.

Old 01-14-2009, 09:24 AM

23,019 posts, read 34,390,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
I've been to Houston plenty of times. And I agree it is still humid at night. But it isnt NEARLY as bad during the day. When I went to Houston when it was too hot during the day we just went out at nigth and it felt waaaay better. But in COLD places if it's too cold during the day it's even worse at NIGHT. At least in the summer time the TEMP changes drastically at night time. You NEVER get that convenient weather change in winter. It goes from bad to worse as the sun goes down in the winter, YUCK. That is EXACTLY what is happening here in NC, it REALLY REALLY SUCKS. It's funny because you can see the FEAR and MISERY on peoples faces before they walk outside lol. They put there gloves and so forth on themselves it's halarious. I hate having to deal with that for another 2 months GROSS.
In August it can still be over 90 at night, that's not much relief to me. The temperature does not change drastically in Houston during the summer, it just stays HOT. I would to have the problem of dealing with cold weather for two months or more!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather