Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2009, 07:58 PM
HKB

221 posts, read 803,019 times

Advertisements

I've lived in MN my whole life, and I hate the cold. Not only do I find it extremely uncomfortable, but I feel like a shut-in 5 months a year. Winter heating bills are through the roof (my December bill was over $250... and we only keep the thermostat at 67).

Unfortunately my family lives here, so I put up with the cold to be near them. I wish we could all collectively move somewhere warmer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2009, 08:28 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,452,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HKB View Post
I've lived in MN my whole life, and I hate the cold. Not only do I find it extremely uncomfortable, but I feel like a shut-in 5 months a year. Winter heating bills are through the roof (my December bill was over $250... and we only keep the thermostat at 67).

Unfortunately my family lives here, so I put up with the cold to be near them. I wish we could all collectively move somewhere warmer.
Why do you feel shut in? Put some clothes on and go outside!

Old 01-09-2009, 08:40 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,954,464 times
The thing is that cold weather is sort of boring when you live in an urban setting. When it snows in the mountains it looks nice and you can ski. But most people live in an urban setting where cold weather means staying inside all day or playing in the snow for a little bit. But other than that theres really not much you can do in cold weather as opposed to hot weather.

Old 01-09-2009, 08:44 PM

5,152 posts, read 8,530,192 times
The extreme cold can kill someone, at lot easier, than extreme heat can. That's why.

Old 01-09-2009, 09:33 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,451,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof Woof! View Post
Why do you feel shut in? Put some clothes on and go outside!
Sounds simple, but it isn't. When you have the extreme cold that the upper Midwest has, no amount of layers or putting extra clothes on will keep you warm. Example~about 4 pm I checked the weather. It was 23 and that doesn't sound bad. BUT the windchill was already minus 4. That was just the start of our evening. It's nothing to hit 30 or 40 or even 50 below windchills around here. AND that's with the revision raising the windchills. I have experienced 90 below zero one day and that was enough for me.

Old 01-09-2009, 09:46 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,954,464 times
Thats insane. -90. Give me 95 and humidity anyday over ANYTHING below zero. I'll just go to Six Flags or the beach or something. But negetive ANYTHING, I would die of BORDEM staying inside the house all day.

Old 01-09-2009, 10:41 PM

26,428 posts, read 46,599,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
Sounds simple, but it isn't. When you have the extreme cold that the upper Midwest has, no amount of layers or putting extra clothes on will keep you warm. Example~about 4 pm I checked the weather. It was 23 and that doesn't sound bad. BUT the windchill was already minus 4. That was just the start of our evening. It's nothing to hit 30 or 40 or even 50 below windchills around here. AND that's with the revision raising the windchills. I have experienced 90 below zero one day and that was enough for me.
-100F wind chills are possible on top of Mount Washington, NH by late next week. They have a large meteorological observatory on top of the summit accesible via rail, snowcat, and "seasonal" auto road.

Old 01-10-2009, 07:32 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,451,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Thats insane. -90. Give me 95 and humidity anyday over ANYTHING below zero. I'll just go to Six Flags or the beach or something. But negetive ANYTHING, I would die of BORDEM staying inside the house all day.
Yup, that's exactly how I feel about those cold temps.

Granite, that's horrible. Most people can't even imagine what windchills like that feel like, but I know it's just awful. You can barely breathe in that kind of weather. People do actually freeze their lungs~not sure how that works medically, but it can lead to a lot of problems. Please tell me that no one lives in that area.

Old 01-10-2009, 07:50 AM

9,589 posts, read 27,814,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
Yup, that's exactly how I feel about those cold temps.

Granite, that's horrible. Most people can't even imagine what windchills like that feel like, but I know it's just awful. You can barely breathe in that kind of weather. People do actually freeze their lungs~not sure how that works medically, but it can lead to a lot of problems. Please tell me that no one lives in that area.
Only scientists live there on the summit I believe, like outposts in Antarctica.

In winter, they average hurricane-force or stronger winds 1/3 of all winter days.

Old 01-10-2009, 07:52 AM

9,589 posts, read 27,814,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Give me 95 and humidity anyday over ANYTHING below zero.
I'll just go to Six Flags or the beach or something.
But negetive ANYTHING, I would die of BORDEM staying inside the house all day.
*95 F is comfy for me...

Give me 95 F over 35 F.
Give me 105 F over 15 F.
Give me 115 F over 5 F.
Give me 130 F over negative-anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather