Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2020, 05:00 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,071,214 times

Advertisements

I think Black Mountain is a good choice too. I really like it and it has it's own cute town and a nice park. It has your basic everyday needs. It's about 15-20 minutes from East Asheville which has more shopping. Leicester maybe an option as well but I wouldn't go too far out. There are some really nice mountain views out there. It's pretty rural the farther you go out and the people out there are mostly locals. The main downfall is that you have to travel on New Leicester Hwy which is like a racetrack and has blind curves. You will ultimately be doing your shopping in West Asheville or possibly Weaverville. You might look at Alexander too which is in between Weaverville and Leicester.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2020, 06:45 PM

8,105 posts, read 6,754,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
I think Black Mountain is a good choice too. I really like it and it has it's own cute town and a nice park. It has your basic everyday needs. It's about 15-20 minutes from East Asheville which has more shopping. Leicester maybe an option as well but I wouldn't go too far out. There are some really nice mountain views out there. It's pretty rural the farther you go out and the people out there are mostly locals. The main downfall is that you have to travel on New Leicester Hwy which is like a racetrack and has blind curves. You will ultimately be doing your shopping in West Asheville or possibly Weaverville. You might look at Alexander too which is in between Weaverville and Leicester.
Good call with Alexander beckycat! I like that area as well.

Old 04-20-2020, 10:08 PM

50 posts, read 47,020 times
You folks have been most helpful. I will also check the listings/area out in Black Mountain and Alexander. Thank you much!!

Old 04-23-2020, 01:15 AM

38 posts, read 43,574 times
We are on the north side in west Burnsville (Cane River area) and we love it! Gorgeous Mountain Views and friendly people in a sweet little Norman Rockwell town. On the west side you’re only about 35 mins from downtown Asheville, 20 mins to Weaverville, and 10 mins from Burnsville - not to mention being closer to the Appalachian Trail and all Boone/Grandfather/Beech Mtn. have to offer! Plus the highest mountains in the eastern US are here - I think it’s something like 6 of the 10 highest on the eastern seaboard are in the Black Mountain chain in Yancey county/Burnsville. Black Mountain is the south side and we are the north side. Much more affordable here than surrounding areas also. Come check us out and see what you think!

Old 04-23-2020, 08:10 AM

We will definitely have to check you guys out. I just checked and love the homes in relations to our price point. I would also love the mountains/hiking/elevation/taxes/fresh air. However it may be too remote for the Mrs. I think she would feel too out there from Asheville. I will at least make an effort to show her the area.

Thank you for the great info!!
Randy

Old 04-23-2020, 10:02 AM

38 posts, read 43,574 times
We just moved from eastern central Florida (Daytona Beach area) so I can understand the remote feeling here. It’s definitely an adjustment - especially with this virus and not being able to do much outside your house - but it’s a sweet little community and I’m thankful to have escaped from the hustle and bustle of Florida. Everyone is different, of course - but you may both fall in love with it! You never know . Have a safe trip and happy hunting wherever you decide to end up. You really can’t go wrong in WNC!

PS. Much of my ancestry is from the Boston area and my husband’s family is from Springfield. Beautiful country there too!

Old 04-23-2020, 04:10 PM

789 posts, read 785,549 times
Bikerforpaws You two need a spread sheet to start fill in pros and cons of each area but first start with the chamber of commerce of any towns you maybe interested in and have them send you a info packet of there area then look on line for your what's not covered . With luck you may find that prefect place in a year or so but more than like you both will have to find some middle ground that you can live with after lots of feet on the ground looking as we all have our favorite area to live in .

Old 04-24-2020, 09:02 AM

Hi Hardluk1,
I do have a list but the hard part is prioritizing it. Nowhere is going to meet all of our needs. finding a ride home with the right rate landscape it’s probably priority one. Since we don’t work or need public transportation, i think it will be a lot easier in the Asheville area than it was in Boston. I also know Sandra would like a place between rural and City. Close by amenities are a plus. I am on the other hand love the mountains, cooler climate and views. So with that being said as I mentioned in my original post, It’s 90% Sandra in 10% me LOL.

Old 04-24-2020, 06:05 PM

156 posts, read 147,596 times
We started looking here 3 yrs ago from NE. Spent time in Weaverville and Hendersonville before building just outside Hendo.

We have a great downtown and good access to stores without going to AVL but when we need or want to it is a quick trip.

We have Mountain Views and access to DuPont and Pisgha

You budget is going to be tight finding newer construction....

Good luck with the search. Boots on the ground is best way to do this

Old 04-25-2020, 10:04 AM

Agreed 100% LookingFromLI. Boots on the ground. We are accumulating as much info as possible before we head down to visit. I guess the geography is what matters most so we know what areas to check out first. I think we will know the home when we find it hence the price point. I am getting excited since I have most of our ducks in a row......lots of research, great realtor (located from NY to AVL years ago), great forum (you guys), and getting our finances in order. The Covid 19 virus has us pinned down at the moment but were safe, healthy and have food in the fridge. Everything else is secondary. That being said, when it's safe and things begin to open up we are going to take a road trip to WNC........hopefully in 2-3 weeks. May be our 1st of many!!

Thanks again everybody!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina