Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2020, 05:48 AM

81 posts, read 87,391 times

Advertisements

If looking for a house at higher elevations, remember to keep in mind the site orientation. Exposure to the north and or west can be very windy, and if blocked by slopes and mountains can be very dark in the winter months. High elevations north of Asheville have a different climate zone than Asheville or south of Asheville.
Southern exposure is always best, with lots of glass for gloomy winter days, but this orientation is hardest to find.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2020, 08:25 AM

50 posts, read 47,009 times
Thank you Flatwood, this is valuable info. I get what your saying. Where we live now, a SW frontal has the best exposure. It also helps to have the sun on the deck (East) in the morning because it gets too hot in the in afternoon to grill. So back of the home NE, Front of home SW. Does this bold true in the Asheville area?

Last edited by BikerForPaws; 04-26-2020 at 09:16 AM..

Old 04-27-2020, 01:41 PM

81 posts, read 87,391 times
Southern exposure for living spaces is best because of heat gain and general cheeriness in the winter. There are many houses that are on the north side of ridges that will receive no sun in winter - a very dark and gloomy prospect. Overhangs should be large enough to exclude overhead summer sun, and west exposure can be brutal in summer ( this is a southern climate region ).
Also, if you are at a high enough elevation to not use AC in summer, it is best to have large enough overhangs so that windows may be left open during rainfall.
As for outdoor living spaces, a covered deck or porch is best because of the frequent rainfall. If you are below about 2600 ft in elevation you will want a screened porch due to bugs and mosquitos.
Lots to keep in mind!

Old 04-28-2020, 08:12 AM

Thanks flatwood. Yes a lot to absorb. Your posts will help narrow our search down. Nothing like gloomy winters and hot humid summers with mosquitos. Will keep our search above 2500 elevation for sure.

Old 04-29-2020, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatwood View Post
Southern exposure for living spaces is best because of heat gain and general cheeriness in the winter. There are many houses that are on the north side of ridges that will receive no sun in winter - a very dark and gloomy prospect. Overhangs should be large enough to exclude overhead summer sun, and west exposure can be brutal in summer ( this is a southern climate region ).
Also, if you are at a high enough elevation to not use AC in summer, it is best to have large enough overhangs so that windows may be left open during rainfall.
As for outdoor living spaces, a covered deck or porch is best because of the frequent rainfall. If you are below about 2600 ft in elevation you will want a screened porch due to bugs and mosquitos.
Lots to keep in mind!
I've been reading through the city-data (on page 8) and some of the area complaints is that it gets really gloomy in the winter. With all your feedback concerning sunshine, rain, gray forest (I notice that when I hiked the Smokies), bugs...etc., is there a particular area/town that I may focus on?

Sunshine is a big plus. I know it's not going to be Southern Cal but want to avoid the gloomies as much as possible. I see Transylvania Co is the rainiest and Asheville is the driest. Going to be tough but I would throw it out there to get some more feedback. I received some great feedback on Weaverville, Black Mountain, Fletcher and so on. I would like to stay as close to the city as possible without staying in the city. Some items that are important along with sunshine :-)

5-15 minutes to food shopping and restaurants
Close to hospitals, doctors, dentist. (I've have some past health issues concerning cancer)
Hiking trails are a plus
Elevation 2000-3000……rolling hills.
Weather-rain, brown and gray......NOT
Good internet a big plus
Good power grid

Boston just extended our stay at home until May 18th so we probably won't visit until after then......so plenty of time to do research.

Old 04-30-2020, 07:26 AM

12,626 posts, read 32,065,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BikerForPaws View Post
I've been reading through the city-data (on page 8) and some of the area complaints is that it gets really gloomy in the winter. With all your feedback concerning sunshine, rain, gray forest (I notice that when I hiked the Smokies), bugs...etc., is there a particular area/town that I may focus on?

Sunshine is a big plus. I know it's not going to be Southern Cal but want to avoid the gloomies as much as possible. I see Transylvania Co is the rainiest and Asheville is the driest. Going to be tough but I would throw it out there to get some more feedback. I received some great feedback on Weaverville, Black Mountain, Fletcher and so on. I would like to stay as close to the city as possible without staying in the city. Some items that are important along with sunshine :-)

5-15 minutes to food shopping and restaurants
Close to hospitals, doctors, dentist. (I've have some past health issues concerning cancer)
Hiking trails are a plus
Elevation 2000-3000……rolling hills.
Weather-rain, brown and gray......NOT
Good internet a big plus
Good power grid

Boston just extended our stay at home until May 18th so we probably won't visit until after then......so plenty of time to do research.
Since you are coming from Boston, I can understand the need for sunshine I am originally from PA and that was rare for months. I will say that we get a decent amount of sun here. I used to get SAD for 6 months of the year and that doesn't happen here. The sun may not stay out all day but it comes and goes. Another plus is that although, it can get pretty cold at night during the winter, it can also warm up nicely during the day to the 40's-50's. I don't think it will be an issue Although, I don't care for winter, it only lasts 3-4 months here. Luckily, we can still get outside during the winter without freezing to death.

Old 04-30-2020, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
Since you are coming from Boston, I can understand the need for sunshine I am originally from PA and that was rare for months. I will say that we get a decent amount of sun here. I used to get SAD for 6 months of the year and that doesn't happen here. The sun may not stay out all day but it comes and goes. Another plus is that although, it can get pretty cold at night during the winter, it can also warm up nicely during the day to the 40's-50's. I don't think it will be an issue Although, I don't care for winter, it only lasts 3-4 months here. Luckily, we can still get outside during the winter without freezing to death.
Thank you Beckycat. Always good to hear positives about "more sun" in the WNC area. This relocation of ours MUST be weather and economic related. As much as we love it here (family, friends, food, ocean, sport teams,...although Tom Brady left lol), we really would appreciate better weather to hike and ride the motor bike as well have enough money to do a little traveling during our retirement. We could go out to the Berkshires (W Mass) and get a cheaper home but that would include more crummy weather. Same with ME, NH and VT. Sandra has family in PA (Milville and Columbia) also. Love to visit those areas in the winter to ski and snowshoe, but not interested in living there.

Old 05-03-2020, 08:17 PM

105 posts, read 107,718 times
I would stay away from any area that is "hot". It will be ruined by people moving in. Asheville and Greenville are overcrowded and overrated. Go check out Olympia Washington and you will see an awesome place.

Old 05-04-2020, 02:46 PM

1,154 posts, read 1,426,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BikerForPaws View Post
Thank you Beckycat. Always good to hear positives about "more sun" in the WNC area. This relocation of ours MUST be weather and economic related. As much as we love it here (family, friends, food, ocean, sport teams,...although Tom Brady left lol), we really would appreciate better weather to hike and ride the motor bike as well have enough money to do a little traveling during our retirement. We could go out to the Berkshires (W Mass) and get a cheaper home but that would include more crummy weather. Same with ME, NH and VT. Sandra has family in PA (Milville and Columbia) also. Love to visit those areas in the winter to ski and snowshoe, but not interested in living there.
I know that you probably won't want to hear this, but you and Sandra need to come and rent for a year. You can bike around and find your/her best place. I have lived there and moved because of the limited hospital systems and Nursing jobs available. I'm retired now and thinking of a possible move but more to a coastal area where I can fish/ eat fresh seafood daily. Im going to put 90% of my stuff in storage and rent x a year...so I end up with MY perfect fit.
Best of luck in your search.

Old 05-04-2020, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida Heat View Post
I would stay away from any area that is "hot". It will be ruined by people moving in. Asheville and Greenville are overcrowded and overrated. Go check out Olympia Washington and you will see an awesome place.
Heard that is a beautiful place but West Coast is not an option due to family. I think Hawaii would be a great fit for us weather and activity wise.....if only it was closer and we had more money
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina