Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2007, 12:57 PM

239 posts, read 799,718 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willys View Post
Maybe companies should be required by law to present upfront to a prospect the churn rate for the particular position for which he/she is applying.

I like it! We get so tough on applicants for lying on resumes, but we never look at ourselves and think "Everything I just told this applicant about what a paradise this place is to work in is a crock of crap". Add on the b.s. we feed them about recognizing achievers and promoting within, and we are the biggest liars at the table!

Then the employee gets upset that he does not have the job he was promised, his attitude suffers, we fire him, and demand that he not try to cover it up when he goes on his next interview? Nah. It's a two-way street. Candidates should never lie, and companies should never grossly oversell the position. But both happen every day.

At least the guy in this example was smart enough not to lie about his abilities!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2007, 03:28 PM

1,195 posts, read 5,412,216 times
Do you have an employee manual, does it state in the manual that lying on your application is a firing offense? Does it state anywhere in your applciation process about lying on your application? If you don't have any of this in place at the time of his hiring and you fire him he will own you and rightfully so. He made a mistake by lying on his resume or applicaiton but your company hired hiim and sounds that he proved himself in that he has become a value to your business.

If you didn't have anything in place at the time of his hiring I would institute a program for future liers but this one I would think in grandfathered in.

Old 10-12-2007, 04:28 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,117,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tressa View Post
Do you have an employee manual, does it state in the manual that lying on your application is a firing offense? Does it state anywhere in your applciation process about lying on your application? If you don't have any of this in place at the time of his hiring and you fire him he will own you and rightfully so. He made a mistake by lying on his resume or applicaiton but your company hired hiim and sounds that he proved himself in that he has become a value to your business.

If you didn't have anything in place at the time of his hiring I would institute a program for future liers but this one I would think in grandfathered in.
I agree with you.....fortunately WE do have such a clause and have had for more then 20 years. [have had to invoke it on two differant occassions that I recall.]

Old 10-14-2007, 08:09 AM

384 posts, read 1,709,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdelena View Post
It shows a character flaw and demonstrates a history of dishonest actions. I could never trust that individual and would immediately discharge him.
I totally disagree with this. I have known people to have lied on their resume or job application because had they not done so, employers would not have even looked at them.

Sometimes we have to lie and there is not one person on this earth who can honestly say that they have never told a lie in his or her life. Just because a person has to tell a lie does NOT mean that he or she is a liard and can never be trusted, especially when he or she has proven him or herself to be above expectations.

What I do agree is that a personal meeting with that individual, the manager and HR informing of their new found discovery and place him on probabtion for another 6 months. If within that six months he violates his probabtion, he will be terminated immediately.

Old 10-14-2007, 08:14 AM

384 posts, read 1,709,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stupid Flanders View Post
I like it! We get so tough on applicants for lying on resumes, but we never look at ourselves and think "Everything I just told this applicant about what a paradise this place is to work in is a crock of crap". Add on the b.s. we feed them about recognizing achievers and promoting within, and we are the biggest liars at the table!

Then the employee gets upset that he does not have the job he was promised, his attitude suffers, we fire him, and demand that he not try to cover it up when he goes on his next interview? Nah. It's a two-way street. Candidates should never lie, and companies should never grossly oversell the position. But both happen every day.

At least the guy in this example was smart enough not to lie about his abilities!

I can't begin to tell you how I have been lied to by employers about how wonderful of a company the company is.
On one occasion, I was lied to so bad that when I got there on the first date of employment, the hiring manager could not look me in the face.
Now having given up my other job and all, I was really upset and even thought about suing them; however because what I was told was not in writing it would have been their word against mine. Nevertheless, on the very first day of employment and having found out that I was lied to as well as the thick air of negativity within the organization, I simply took my belongings at lunch time, drove off to lunch and never looked back.

Old 10-15-2007, 07:16 AM

239 posts, read 799,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadel812 View Post
I can't begin to tell you how I have been lied to by employers about how wonderful of a company the company is.
On one occasion, I was lied to so bad that when I got there on the first date of employment, the hiring manager could not look me in the face.
Now having given up my other job and all, I was really upset and even thought about suing them; however because what I was told was not in writing it would have been their word against mine. Nevertheless, on the very first day of employment and having found out that I was lied to as well as the thick air of negativity within the organization, I simply took my belongings at lunch time, drove off to lunch and never looked back.

Tell me about it. I've never been in a situation like you are describing, but I have left a great job to take what was promised to be a far better position (more pay, more responsibility) and it was a huge mistake. It wasnt my perception vs. their perception, I was told a big fat LIE.

I get soooo ticked off when companies interview you like they are God and you are a servant groveling for the crumbs that falleth from their table. That's why when they ask "do you have any questions for me?" I say, YES I DO!

My close rate on jobs I wanted was almost 100% before I started doing this. I used to say "If I get the interview, I'll get the job". And I was right. Now that I ask tough questions, I'm at less than a 50% close rate. But the job I have now pays very well and was EXACTLY what I expected!

Old 10-15-2007, 09:41 AM

1,952 posts, read 4,790,471 times
Honestly, if I had an employee who was a great one, but I found he'd lied on the application, I would simply let him know that what he'd done was a fireable offense; but because of his stellar performance, I was going to cut him some slack and expect the best.

Result: increased loyalty and a feeling of gratitude from employee.

Firing an excellent employee because he lied on the app is just plain stupid IMO.

Old 10-15-2007, 10:52 AM

4,440 posts, read 9,071,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingler View Post
He has a great personality and a unique way with people.
Uh huh.. I bet he does. He is a liar.. He compromised his ethics (if he has any).

I'd doc his pay since his experience was a lie.

Old 10-16-2007, 01:53 PM

1,011 posts, read 3,094,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigthirsty View Post
Uh huh.. I bet he does. He is a liar.. He compromised his ethics (if he has any).

I'd doc his pay since his experience was a lie.
And if I were the employee in question, I'd quit without a second thought (and more than likely be happier for it).

So I guess we both win, right? I move on to another job, you get to spend months hiring another person, filtering through thousands of faceless, sterile resumes, and (possibly) hiring another person who more than likely lied somewhere on his/her resume.

Cool.

Old 10-16-2007, 04:52 PM

4,978 posts, read 9,515,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundance View Post
Honestly, if I had an employee who was a great one, but I found he'd lied on the application, I would simply let him know that what he'd done was a fireable offense; but because of his stellar performance, I was going to cut him some slack and expect the best.

Result: increased loyalty and a feeling of gratitude from employee.

Firing an excellent employee because he lied on the app is just plain stupid IMO.

I agree...if you say you were fired or such on any application, some HR clerk throws it in the wastebasket.
I have been in a similar circumstance, and I am a good worker, and I give my best. I think sometimes, some managers are threatened by their employees and get rid of them. Now...how would anyone explain that to a prospective employer?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment